1st timer and have a handicap child - questions/advice

JRA

I've finally talked my wife into considering a cruise so we dropped by a local agent (recommended) and she suggested a 7 day cruise on Anthem of The Seas in November . Our stops are in Florida , Coco Cay and Nassau . We are suppose to return to see the agent once she has gathered more info but id thought i'd look here.

My handicap son is 17 is in a wheel chair and mentally he is like a 10 year old. He loves video games , cartoons, animals and (kid friendly )movies . Im looking for any advice on what to and not to do while on the ship and of course at each port . Most importantly I'd like to keep him  entertained . 

Coco Cay looks nice and from what i've seen there is a vehicle that will transport us around so we can at least see the island and enjoy a meal while there .

Ive yet to even check on the Florida stop so that a complete unknown.

Nassau is another stop that looks like we may do alot of walking around but again alot of unknowns.

There looks like alot to do on the ship im just concerned on it being enough for all 7 days . Again this is my 1st cruise .

Are you from the NE?  It could be cold for the first 2 days and last 2 days of your cruise.  Not sure if traveling to Fl is an option for you.  

Anthem has the sea plex with go carts and x box games.  Every ship has an arcade.  I strongly suggest you read blogs about Anthem and look at the cruise planner for your unique situation.  

For FL, I’m assuming you are stopping at Cape Canaveral.  My kids are looking forward to seeing the space center.  

If you do decide to book, I would suggest making a booking with a refundable deposit.  Things happen and you may change your mind and that way you can cancel up to 90 days before your cruise and receive a full refund. 

18 hours ago, JRA said:

Im looking for any advice on what to and not to do while on the ship and of course at each port .

I would imagine an iPad loaded with movies and games would be invaluable. In addition, an internet package so that he can browse YouTube

Honestly, anything you would normally do with him would work and then doing all the extra things too.  I think he'd have a good time. 

CocoCay will be nice.  After watching @Matt's videos from there over this past weekend (on Facebook), I see that there are lots of paved walkways, makes it easy access for wheelchair.   Not many people on these forums seem to like Nassau, but when we went we enjoyed walking around the town and just "shopping" and seeing a part of the world that isn't home. 

I think a cruise would be a wonderful vacation for you...just because I think they are more "contained" with many things to do AND you can also just relax together and enjoy each others company.

How do you usually vacation?  knowing what you usually do and what you usually like, could help in our helping you.

20 hours ago, melski94 said:

Are you from the NE?  It could be cold for the first 2 days and last 2 days of your cruise.  Not sure if traveling to Fl is an option for you.  

Anthem has the sea plex with go carts and x box games.  Every ship has an arcade.  I strongly suggest you read blogs about Anthem and look at the cruise planner for your unique situation.  

For FL, I’m assuming you are stopping at Cape Canaveral.  My kids are looking forward to seeing the space center.  

If you do decide to book, I would suggest making a booking with a refundable deposit.  Things happen and you may change your mind and that way you can cancel up to 90 days before your cruise and receive a full refund. 

Yes we are from Maryland (Delmarva) . 

So are the sea plex go carts and x-box are part of the cruise price or extra ? Yes I think he will like the arcade.

Im considering Sea World as he loves the animals. 

I booked today and even got the extra insurance in case he has and medical problems that stop the cruise.

2 hours ago, JennyB said:

Honestly, anything you would normally do with him would work and then doing all the extra things too.  I think he'd have a good time. 

CocoCay will be nice.  After watching @Matt's videos from there over this past weekend (on Facebook), I see that there are lots of paved walkways, makes it easy access for wheelchair.   Not many people on these forums seem to like Nassau, but when we went we enjoyed walking around the town and just "shopping" and seeing a part of the world that isn't home. 

I think a cruise would be a wonderful vacation for you...just because I think they are more "contained" with many things to do AND you can also just relax together and enjoy each others company.

How do you usually vacation?  knowing what you usually do and what you usually like, could help in our helping you.

Normally our vacation is a car trip to the mountians or something within a few hundred miles . My sons handicap as well as my own past  medical issues have ruled over any vacation . My health is fine now .

When you say "I think they are more "contained" with many things to do AND you can also just relax together" you nailed my thinking on the topic exactly!!!!  Knowing there will be great food (so i'm told) and a lot of things to do on the ship means something .

Im looking forward to a  late night walk on the ship with a adult beverage and not a worry.

I have sailed on Anthem.  He will be fine.  

1.  The bumper cars are free.  At the back of the sea plex is the hot dog stand.  He might like that.  They also have Johnny Rockets on the pool deck.

2. The arcade costs money, but you can buy it on your cruise planner, usually 20% off compared to buying on board.  The arcade is expensive

3. On the pool deck ( I believe Port side) is this huge giraffe.  I want to say 15 feet tall  If memory serves me it is on the port side by the bow.

4. If you go into the Solarium close to the starboard side there is a door.  If you go out there it is a little bridge that juts out.  Great view.

5. I can't recall exactly the directions, but up on the WJ level there is a small clear floor where you can look all the way down the ship to the Esplanade.@7 floors.  If you are doing a suite, Coastal Kitchen is on the same level as WJ.

6. For the sail away I would suggest you go to the helipad.  You will go under the Verrazano @20 mins after leaving the dock.  Anthem only clears it by about 30 feet.  The helipad is lower than the pool deck.  However, because of that it is not as crowded as the pool deck.  Due to being so close to clearing the bridge everybody goes up on the pool deck and it is very crowded, in some spots it is shoulder to shoulder.

7.  Do NOT go to see The Gift.  Trust me, as an adult it is hard enough to follow, and to me the volume was really loud.  We Will Rock You, is a great show if he likes Queen.  They have an upper tier and it is still a great area.  Hint: stay until after the cast takes their final bow.

8. The WJ is great on Anthem.  It has an outside eating area, which equates to not having to search for a table.

9.. The Bionic Bar is something he might find cool.  For most people it is a 1 and done, check the box, but he might find it entertaining to watch it for a few mins.

10. We always do Starboard balcony Bow on deck 12.  It is a haul from the elevators, but it is a cool balcony room because from your balcony you can see the bridge clearly.  So close you can watch them drink their coffee and they will waive to you if they see you watching them.  He may enjoy this.

11. Anthem has 3 pools.  The one in the middle is enclosed, just like the Solarium.  Unless it is a bad weather day, it is not as crowded as the outdoor pool, easier to navigate.  Plus, it is right next to the Solarium bistro which is open for lunch and very few passengers ever go there.  It has a nice selection, not WJ size, but still you won't go hungry.

12. They typically will play a movie at 7 for the younger age groups on the pool deck.  It is rarely crowded compared to what you will see in the middle of the day.  You might want to tie in your dinner reservations to coincide with being able to do this.  

13. I can't recall if NorthStar is handicap accessible, but if it is, make sure as soon as possible you book the earliest time.  NorthStar doesn't always go up.  If the wind is too high than it won't.  Reserving it for later on the cruise may mean you will never get to go up.  If you do early, and it doesn't go that day, you can always book as standby later on.

14. The 270 is a great place to have lunch.  Like the Solarium Bistro the selection is small, but there is where you will find the famous Kummelwreck.  It basically is soup, salad and sandwiches.  However, the cool thing is the 270 is all about the view.  It is floor to ceiling windows.  This is where the acrobatic show occurs.  If you time it right you will see them practice the show without music as you eat your lunch.  We ate lunch there @ noon, and they were practicing.  We stayed for an hr just watching it.  Luckily we did, bc our reservations for the show was night 4 and the water was so rocky, that they canceled the show that night, and the next night too.    

15. We did traditional dining in the MDR.  They have multiple MDRs. They are separated into My Time and traditional seatings.  IOWS, My time will go the MDR that only does My Time.  Traditional only goes to the one that does traditional.  We requested a table by the windows.  The table behind us had someone in a wheelchair and they had window seating too.  Ask your TA to request a window seating.  I want to say the early seating was @5:30.  We did late and I know that was 8.  We loved the MDR.  Food was not only great, but the service was spectacular.  I think in part was due to the fact we ate there every night, so the staff really got to know us.  IE, my cousin can only eat fish due to a medical reason, after day 2 since they knew this they would offer him off the menu items.  We were a group of 10, when we sat down they repeated the drinks we ordered the night prior and asked if we wanted them again that night.  We also like traditional because we feel that MTD always has larger crowds.  Traditional dining never feels packed, but it also might be because we are dining at 8.

16.  Anthem is like most hotels now.  You need to place a key card inside the room to operate the AC and lights.  You can override it by placing something like a loyalty card from your grocery store (credit card size) in the slot, at least that is what we did.  The AC will not operate in a balcony room if the sliding door is open, even if you have the key in that slot.

17.  If any of you have back issues and cannot sleep on a hard bed, find your cabin attendant on day 1.  Ask for a mattress topper or maybe 2 depending how soft you want it to be. You want to do it on day 1, because by day 2 many that had a poor nights sleep are now asking for toppers for night 2.

18. I can't recall, and maybe somebody here can answer, regarding the HDMI hook up on Anthem.  Some ships you can connect, some you can't because of how the tv is connected to the wall....in essence unable to get behind to the HDMI outlet.  Since he likes games, packing a PS4 and a few games will not take up a lot of room.

19. Spend the $$$ and get at least the refreshment package (@$20 pp).  We normally get the Deluxe (alcohol), but I believe the 20 pkg includes the same things, minus alcohol.  The souvenir cup of course, but you also get unlimited water bottles, fresh squeezed OJ, and milk shakes at Johnny Rockets (JR) without having to eat there.  The ice cream machine is on the pool deck (starboard) and it is hit or miss.  Plus, the line is usually long.  JR is on the same deck, but on the port side.  The freestyle machines not only have soda, and flavorings to add, but also Powerade, MinuteMaid juices and Dasani flavored water.  In the WJ they have a Seattle's Best where you can get your specialty coffee.  We typically will always go to the bar and ask for a bottle of water.  We take them back to the cabin and place it in the mini fridge.  We than take the ones we have accrued with us on our port days.  Saves us money.

20. If he is a people watcher... go and hang out at Sorrentos.  They have tables that are on the Esplanade.  I am not a fan of the pizza, but I do like the area, so does my hubby, especially since it is right next to the pub/bar where they have tvs showing whatever sport is playing.  We stay away from that area when they do what I call the sidewalk sale.  This is when they place tables out filled with shirts, watches, etc.  It is just too crowded.  This area is also where they sell popcorn. 

21. Check your daily compass for the Belly Flop.  It gets crowded, so you will want to be early to get a good view if this appeals to you.  

Finally, checking in at Cape Liberty is fast and efficient.  They have a multi level parking garage attached to the port.  By the time you park your car and walk onto the ship,  it has always been around 20 mins for us.  The real problem is getting to the parking your car. 1. NJTPKE can have traffic issues just like MD @ Baltimore or DC.  Plan accordingly.  We live in No VA (4 hr car ride) we always drive up the day prior.  2. The design of how you drop off luggage is poor impo.  It is a bottle neck and it can take 30 mins from the start where you come up to the port to when you drop off your luggage.  3. When you debark at the end of your cruise, you can pay for a porter at the terminal.  They will take your luggage to your car for you once you pick it up from the luggage area.  It is not necessarily faster, but this way you can go and get your car, drive it to the street level,  while your wife and son go at their pace and the porter brings the luggage behind them.   Like embarkation, I want to say it took us 20 mins from the time we walked off until we were pulling out of the parking garage.

Sorry for the novella, but I hope it helps and that your wife will now be really excited seeing all of the amazing things that Anthem has to offer.  I bet she might be so thrilled that she will want to book again on Anthem, but the next time to NE since you stated you usually go to the mountains.  Or maybe even try out the Oasis when she is there for a few short months in the summer of 2020.

North Star is handicapped-accessible. On one of our trips in Feb we had a lovely lady in a wheelchair with us.  They have a lift to take the chairs up to the entrance. Don’t miss it !  It’s a wonderful experience. I thought I would be afraid but the movement is so smooth you hardly even notice it.  I just wish they allowed the North Star to go up in New York harbor.  They do not.  

@WAAAYTOOO  I have a funny feeling they want to keep it locked down since Anthem goes under the Verrazano shortly after they pull the lines...20 mins or so.  Can you imagine if the sent it up while still in port, but can't get it back down?  My guess would be that she could not depart due to clearance issues.  If they did nobody would be taking video of going under the bridge instead it would be video with noise of metal and glass from the NorthStar as it scrapes the metal on the bottom of the Verrazano and the NorthStar floats in the water.?

Just now, Pima1988 said:

@WAAAYTOOO  I have a funny feeling they want to keep it locked down since Anthem goes under the Verrazano shortly after they pull the lines...20 mins or so.  Can you imagine if the sent it up while still in port, but can't get it back down?  My guess would be that she could not depart due to clearance issues.  

This makes perfect sense.  Still disappointed though

?

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

This makes perfect sense.  Still disappointed though

?

We are going SC on Anthem June 6 and have asked our genie to book us for the north star as we depart.  She responded and said it should be operational AFTER we pass under the bridge.  This should give us some good shots leaving - hoping to get some good pics of Liberty Island.  I'm going to attempt to periscope different parts of our cruise, and this was one of the things I'm hoping to periscope.  If we can't, then will be a short scope from our balcony  ? 

I agree it would be amazing to be on it to see the skyline.  Thinking about it, I want to say I have never seen it go up on port days.  Than again I wasn't looking.  If they still do it,  try to get the last time they offer during the day so you can get a glimpse of the sun starting to set.  I want to say we had a 5:30 -6:00 time slot.   I might be wrong and confusing that with our I Fly.   I know my cousins had an afternoon time slot, it was not planned, but was perfect timing.  They went up when they were doing the belly flop competition, so their view was unique.  They did it again as a walk on, because they said that instead of taking in the view they were watching the splashes from the belly flop contest.

9 minutes ago, TheHobbys said:

We are going SC on Anthem June 6 and have asked our genie to book us for the north star as we depart.  She responded and said it should be operational AFTER we pass under the bridge.  This should give us some good shots leaving - hoping to get some good pics of Liberty Island.  I'm going to attempt to periscope different parts of our cruise, and this was one of the things I'm hoping to periscope.  If we can't, then will be a short scope from our balcony  ? 

Who is your Genie ?  Forgive me if I’ve already asked this question !

22 minutes ago, TheHobbys said:

She responded and said it should be operational AFTER we pass under the bridge.  This should give us some good shots leaving - hoping to get some good pics of Liberty Island

I doubt you would see Liberty Island after you go under the bridge.  Liberty Island is the opposite direction of the bridge.  Additionally,  in my opinion you can barely see the Statue of Liberty from the port.  It is up to the Captain if they want to sail out and get near the statue, and than turn,  but more times than not, they don't.   Plus, in the summer, there usually is a haze over the sky line due to the heat and humidity.  There maybe a beautiful blue sky, but because of the heat and the immense amount of traffic going/coming in and out of NY, the lower areas are laden with haze

One thing I always suggest is at the port, go to the Tear drop memorial, it is right there.  It was given as a gift from Russia after 9/11.  It is 100 feet tall.  It contains all of the names of those that died at the WTC on 9/11 plus those that died in the 93 WTC bombing.  There is also a 4 ft or so piece of steel from the towers next to it.  

26 minutes ago, TheHobbys said:

You might Google map the port, I don't know the actual direction but the Verrazzano bridge is the opposite direction of Liberty island, I've only ever seen @twangster post that his Anthem cruise was early and the Captain went "Down/up" to Liberty Island before leaving the port, meaning they don't normally do this.

My point being that if they do not use North Star until after the bridge it will be to far to see Liberty Island.

I think that going to the Statue is like a well rehearsed dance, there are many factors.  

1. Other ship traffic in the area.

2. Pilot boat agreeing

3. Tide level --- the tide level is a biggie for Anthem.  

4. Weather

As @tiny260 stated, they are basically doing a U-turn in the water instead of just hooking a left.  Although it doesn't seem a lot, but that also means spending more fuel, maybe 30 mins more, but still if we are honest, RCL is about profit and the fuel costs, and wasting it in the beginning is an expense.  Think of it like yourself when you drive your car on a vacation, how much money are you willing to spend to drive out of the way?   Are you willing to drive 30 miles out of the way for an up close view, or see it from a distance?

@tiny260  is the actual sail date 7/4?  If so, I would place it as highly unlikely.  The reason why is that the area will have an amazing firework display that night, some are even launched off of boats in the water.  I would think they would want to keep that area low traffic in the harbor that day.  

OBTW, the one thing I hate about going out of Bayonne is the 1st night, especially if it is foggy.  The 1st time we sailed on Anthem (NE/Canada) I did not sleep at all the 1st night.   By law, or so they told me,  they must sound the horn anytime they are approaching/going under a bridge.  If it is foggy, they must sound every X amount of miles (visual)--- did not know this until the next a.m.  It was our 1st cruise north, and I was like how many dang bridges are there?    

Since we are off topic and making this almost an Anthem thread. 

If you want a few great photo shots on the ship

1. Go to the Solarium.  In the very front of the Solarium, basically the bow,  there is a swing (bench) the back drop is the pool/hot tubs.

2. Right outside of 270 there are these amazing wicker hanging chairs with an oceanview (port)  

4 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

I have sailed on Anthem.  He will be fine.  

1.  The bumper cars are free.  At the back of the sea plex is the hot dog stand.  He might like that.  They also have Johnny Rockets on the pool deck.

2. The arcade costs money, but you can buy it on your cruise planner, usually 20% off compared to buying on board.  The arcade is expensive

3. On the pool deck ( I believe Port side) is this huge giraffe.  I want to say 15 feet tall  If memory serves me it is on the port side by the bow.

4. If you go into the Solarium close to the starboard side there is a door.  If you go out there it is a little bridge that juts out.  Great view.

5. I can't recall exactly the directions, but up on the WJ level there is a small clear floor where you can look all the way down the ship to the Esplanade.@7 floors.  If you are doing a suite, Coastal Kitchen is on the same level as WJ.

6. For the sail away I would suggest you go to the helipad.  You will go under the Verrazano @20 mins after leaving the dock.  Anthem only clears it by about 30 feet.  The helipad is lower than the pool deck.  However, because of that it is not as crowded as the pool deck.  Due to being so close to clearing the bridge everybody goes up on the pool deck and it is very crowded, in some spots it is shoulder to shoulder.

7.  Do NOT go to see The Gift.  Trust me, as an adult it is hard enough to follow, and to me the volume was really loud.  We Will Rock You, is a great show if he likes Queen.  They have an upper tier and it is still a great area.  Hint: stay until after the cast takes their final bow.

8. The WJ is great on Anthem.  It has an outside eating area, which equates to not having to search for a table.

9.. The Bionic Bar is something he might find cool.  For most people it is a 1 and done, check the box, but he might find it entertaining to watch it for a few mins.

10. We always do Starboard balcony Bow on deck 12.  It is a haul from the elevators, but it is a cool balcony room because from your balcony you can see the bridge clearly.  So close you can watch them drink their coffee and they will waive to you if they see you watching them.  He may enjoy this.

11. Anthem has 3 pools.  The one in the middle is enclosed, just like the Solarium.  Unless it is a bad weather day, it is not as crowded as the outdoor pool, easier to navigate.  Plus, it is right next to the Solarium bistro which is open for lunch and very few passengers ever go there.  It has a nice selection, not WJ size, but still you won't go hungry.

12. They typically will play a movie at 7 for the younger age groups on the pool deck.  It is rarely crowded compared to what you will see in the middle of the day.  You might want to tie in your dinner reservations to coincide with being able to do this.  

13. I can't recall if NorthStar is handicap accessible, but if it is, make sure as soon as possible you book the earliest time.  NorthStar doesn't always go up.  If the wind is too high than it won't.  Reserving it for later on the cruise may mean you will never get to go up.  If you do early, and it doesn't go that day, you can always book as standby later on.

14. The 270 is a great place to have lunch.  Like the Solarium Bistro the selection is small, but there is where you will find the famous Kummelwreck.  It basically is soup, salad and sandwiches.  However, the cool thing is the 270 is all about the view.  It is floor to ceiling windows.  This is where the acrobatic show occurs.  If you time it right you will see them practice the show without music as you eat your lunch.  We ate lunch there @ noon, and they were practicing.  We stayed for an hr just watching it.  Luckily we did, bc our reservations for the show was night 4 and the water was so rocky, that they canceled the show that night, and the next night too.    

15. We did traditional dining in the MDR.  They have multiple MDRs. They are separated into My Time and traditional seatings.  IOWS, My time will go the MDR that only does My Time.  Traditional only goes to the one that does traditional.  We requested a table by the windows.  The table behind us had someone in a wheelchair and they had window seating too.  Ask your TA to request a window seating.  I want to say the early seating was @5:30.  We did late and I know that was 8.  We loved the MDR.  Food was not only great, but the service was spectacular.  I think in part was due to the fact we ate there every night, so the staff really got to know us.  IE, my cousin can only eat fish due to a medical reason, after day 2 since they knew this they would offer him off the menu items.  We were a group of 10, when we sat down they repeated the drinks we ordered the night prior and asked if we wanted them again that night.  We also like traditional because we feel that MTD always has larger crowds.  Traditional dining never feels packed, but it also might be because we are dining at 8.

16.  Anthem is like most hotels now.  You need to place a key card inside the room to operate the AC and lights.  You can override it by placing something like a loyalty card from your grocery store (credit card size) in the slot, at least that is what we did.  The AC will not operate in a balcony room if the sliding door is open, even if you have the key in that slot.

17.  If any of you have back issues and cannot sleep on a hard bed, find your cabin attendant on day 1.  Ask for a mattress topper or maybe 2 depending how soft you want it to be. You want to do it on day 1, because by day 2 many that had a poor nights sleep are now asking for toppers for night 2.

18. I can't recall, and maybe somebody here can answer, regarding the HDMI hook up on Anthem.  Some ships you can connect, some you can't because of how the tv is connected to the wall....in essence unable to get behind to the HDMI outlet.  Since he likes games, packing a PS4 and a few games will not take up a lot of room.

19. Spend the $$$ and get at least the refreshment package (@$20 pp).  We normally get the Deluxe (alcohol), but I believe the 20 pkg includes the same things, minus alcohol.  The souvenir cup of course, but you also get unlimited water bottles, fresh squeezed OJ, and milk shakes at Johnny Rockets (JR) without having to eat there.  The ice cream machine is on the pool deck (starboard) and it is hit or miss.  Plus, the line is usually long.  JR is on the same deck, but on the port side.  The freestyle machines not only have soda, and flavorings to add, but also Powerade, MinuteMaid juices and Dasani flavored water.  In the WJ they have a Seattle's Best where you can get your specialty coffee.  We typically will always go to the bar and ask for a bottle of water.  We take them back to the cabin and place it in the mini fridge.  We than take the ones we have accrued with us on our port days.  Saves us money.

20. If he is a people watcher... go and hang out at Sorrentos.  They have tables that are on the Esplanade.  I am not a fan of the pizza, but I do like the area, so does my hubby, especially since it is right next to the pub/bar where they have tvs showing whatever sport is playing.  We stay away from that area when they do what I call the sidewalk sale.  This is when they place tables out filled with shirts, watches, etc.  It is just too crowded.  This area is also where they sell popcorn. 

21. Check your daily compass for the Belly Flop.  It gets crowded, so you will want to be early to get a good view if this appeals to you.  

Finally, checking in at Cape Liberty is fast and efficient.  They have a multi level parking garage attached to the port.  By the time you park your car and walk onto the ship,  it has always been around 20 mins for us.  The real problem is getting to the parking your car. 1. NJTPKE can have traffic issues just like MD @ Baltimore or DC.  Plan accordingly.  We live in No VA (4 hr car ride) we always drive up the day prior.  2. The design of how you drop off luggage is poor impo.  It is a bottle neck and it can take 30 mins from the start where you come up to the port to when you drop off your luggage.  3. When you debark at the end of your cruise, you can pay for a porter at the terminal.  They will take your luggage to your car for you once you pick it up from the luggage area.  It is not necessarily faster, but this way you can go and get your car, drive it to the street level,  while your wife and son go at their pace and the porter brings the luggage behind them.   Like embarkation, I want to say it took us 20 mins from the time we walked off until we were pulling out of the parking garage.

Sorry for the novella, but I hope it helps and that your wife will now be really excited seeing all of the amazing things that Anthem has to offer.  I bet she might be so thrilled that she will want to book again on Anthem, but the next time to NE since you stated you usually go to the mountains.  Or maybe even try out the Oasis when she is there for a few short months in the summer of 2020.

NOW I wanna cruise on Anthem!

3 hours ago, TheHobbys said:

We have Yen ?

OOOHHHHHH.  Tell her Dan and Raye Say "hello" !  I'm glad to hear that she is back from vacation.  We were her last cruise before she left (15 Feb) .  Even though we had to change rooms on our B2B we kept her as our Genie on both cruises, which was nice.

She seems a little "formal" at first but once she gets to know you, she is a lot of fun.  She is VERY literal.  If you ask her for something, you will get EXACTLY what you asked for.  There is nothing extra, nothing less.  She is also fearless.  You will know what I mean once you see her forge through a couple of crowds.  She is a great, great Genie.  I'm very envious.  

Tell her that you want to keep your luggage with you all the way through Security and she will do EXACTLY that.  That way, when you get to your suite, there will be someone there to take your luggage UPstairs.  Which suite are you in ?

38 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Tell her that you want to keep your luggage with you all the way through Security and she will do EXACTLY that.  That way, when you get to your suite, there will be someone there to take your luggage UPstairs.  Which suite are you in ?

Our last cruise on Oasis, we had Alan F and he brought a porter with him to follow us with all our luggage (i had 2 in-laws on that trip).  We are in 8720 - the Owner's Loft.  It's just 4 of us this time #whew - lol  two kids (12 and 14) so they can fight over the couch and a roll away bed we already told Yen to make sure to have for us.

Yeah, I can see what you mean by formal.  Her email responses are pretty much short and to the point ... like 'Noted'   and that's all haha

Wow , lots of replies , thanks.  Ill be sure to check out the bridge as the ship goes under.     

Do I really need the drink package ? Myself and my wife don't plan on drinking sodas and my son does not drink them . I like my alcohol but the plan is for us to purchase a bottle of wine to celebrate our anniversary  and maybe 1 or 2 drinks for myself.

There was mention of North star . I might take him up that but I need to look up a video on it and see how he might handle it. 

@JRA  You do not need to buy any refreshment package.  You can get complimentary,coffee, tea, ice tea or lemonade.  

You are allowed 2 bottles of wine and 12 17 oz bottles of water/soda per cabin in your carry on.  Just remember it is in your carry on and so you will have to lug it around with you until your cabin opens.  Cabins open @1.   

NorthStar feels very little movement (swaying)  It is more like being on an elevator...slow rise and return.  It also does not swing over the side of the ship so you don't need to worry about that kind of fear of looking over the water from a high height.  It really just goes up over the pool deck.

15 hours ago, tiny260 said:

Yes, we leave on July 4th, probably why @Matt picked it for the GC.

If I recall this is a NE cruise, which is why we didn't join ( did that on Anthem 2 yrs ago....we are instead going on Adventure 7/12).  I want to say we hugged the coastline the 1st night up to Boston, so you maybe able to see fireworks off the coastline.  

I would probably give a little more time to get to the port.  NYC area puts on a huge firework display, and so does every beach on the Jersey shore, thus impo as someone that lived in NJ for decades, and still has family there, the traffic will be even be higher than usual on the NJ TPKE.   

48 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

If I recall this is a NE cruise, which is why we didn't join ( did that on Anthem 2 yrs ago....we are instead going on Adventure 7/12).  I want to say we hugged the coastline the 1st night up to Boston, so you maybe able to see fireworks off the coastline.  

I would probably give a little more time to get to the port.  NYC area puts on a huge firework display, and so does every beach on the Jersey shore, thus impo as someone that lived in NJ for decades, and still has family there, the traffic will be even be higher than usual on the NJ TPKE.   

The GC is a 9-night cruise going south to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and more..so don't think they'll get to see the NE fireworks. 

2 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

Actually, it's a cruise to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maaten.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:00 AM, mslman said:

you might want to look into booking with this organization as you will get everything you need for your child provided through them.  you will also have time to relax on your own as they provide staff assisted cruises and give the parent a few hours a day by them self. 

https://autismontheseas.com/ 

Whats the normal cost of this ???  

13 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

@JRA  You do not need to buy any refreshment package.  You can get complimentary,coffee, tea, ice tea or lemonade.  

You are allowed 2 bottles of wine and 12 17 oz bottles of water/soda per cabin in your carry on.  Just remember it is in your carry on and so you will have to lug it around with you until your cabin opens.  Cabins open @1.   

NorthStar feels very little movement (swaying)  It is more like being on an elevator...slow rise and return.  It also does not swing over the side of the ship so you don't need to worry about that kind of fear of looking over the water from a high height.  It really just goes up over the pool deck.

So it is just wine or would they allow for me to bring a small bottle of rum ? Wonder why they want you to do it carry on and not packed with the rest of my stuff?

Thanks for the advice on the North Star , im thinking my son will love it.

@JRA...he lk Just wine or champagne.  You are not allowed to carry on hard liquor.  JMPO they want it in the carry on bc every piece of luggage is screened prior to boarding.  They have a limitation on the amount.  It would be too difficult for them to now go back and say you had 2 bottles in your suitcase and 0 in carry on, so you are good to go.  By forcing it only on carry on they know you have hit the limit.

If you go on your cruise planner, I believe at the bottom of the internet and more they offer hard liquor and soda, such as a 375 ml bottle of Bacardi and a pack of coke to be delivered to your room.  I don't know how much it costs because we do the DBP.

I will say out of Cape Liberty they are strict regarding alcohol.  My brother refused to listen to me.  He tried to bring on 6 Yuengling beer bottles... he kept saying you see it is under 17 oz. and I only have 6.  I kept saying, YES, but they state only wine or champagne, or 12 17 oz of non-alcoholic beverages.  They confiscated it.  We laughed when we debarked.  They handed it back to him when he picked up his luggage.

One last thing I would do is talk to your TA.  You can upload pics for your sea pass, but they are very picky.  Has to be  sim.  to a passport pic.  You might want to ask since he is wheelchair bound if that will be an issue.

When we sailed on Anthem, our pics were rejected because it is suppose to be a white background.  The closest wall color to white in my house is ivory/light tan.  It is not a biggie at all.  Another thing we laughed about.  We traveled in a group of 10.  My husband and I were the only ones that had to get our pics done at the terminal.  We were also the 1st to be finished checking in.  Cape Liberty they do everything by tablet.  

I have taken Anthem of the Seas twice with my Son who was 16 and the next year 17.  He is physically and developementally handicapped and used a wheelchair while on the trip.  We LOVED Anthem.  He can walk but is challenged.  One thing he did do twice was the iFly.  You would not believe how accomadation they where.  They lowered the fans and had two instuctors inside to assist him.  It scared me at first but brought tears to my eyes to see him have so much fun.  The bumper cars was a huge hit.  He went on many times.  The staff would wave us on to the front so he didn't wait in line for too long.  He loved all the movie charactors who walk around.  The North Star is accesible.  He loved all the shows and I would agree the Gift is not the most enjoyable.  The WindJammer is hard for us since we can't leave our Son and pushing a chair and holding plates is a challenge.  Book the Solarium Bisto for dinner.  Also go to the main dinning rooms for breakfast to take advantage of table service.  There is soooo much to do and see on the ship that there is no need to watch ipad movie for entertainment.  We didn't do Orlando excursions because of the length of time it takes to get there.  It's too long on a bus.  The Kennedy Space Centre was perfect.  The first time we did Gator Land.  AND you wouldn't believe they had a zip line there with a wheelchair set up.  Our Son ziplined OMG!!!  Bahamas we went to Blue Lagoon for the dolphin swim.  He did walk a short distance there, but I can't remember if that was by choice.  We also did a tour of Atlantis and that was great as well (all wheelchair accesible).  I highly recomment Anthem!

On 5/19/2019 at 10:03 PM, JRA said:

I've finally talked my wife into considering a cruise so we dropped by a local agent (recommended) and she suggested a 7 day cruise on Anthem of The Seas in November . Our stops are in Florida , Coco Cay and Nassau . We are suppose to return to see the agent once she has gathered more info but id thought i'd look here.

My handicap son is 17 is in a wheel chair and mentally he is like a 10 year old. He loves video games , cartoons, animals and (kid friendly )movies . Im looking for any advice on what to and not to do while on the ship and of course at each port . Most importantly I'd like to keep him  entertained . 

Coco Cay looks nice and from what i've seen there is a vehicle that will transport us around so we can at least see the island and enjoy a meal while there .

Ive yet to even check on the Florida stop so that a complete unknown.

Nassau is another stop that looks like we may do alot of walking around but again alot of unknowns.

There looks like alot to do on the ship im just concerned on it being enough for all 7 days . Again this is my 1st cruise .

We were on Anthem in January with 28 yo DD /(age ~ 5 mentally) who is also in a wheelchair -- CP -- can walk, but slowly, not for long distances, & not safe in crowds, so we use her chair most of the time.

1) The non Solarium pools have straight up & down staircases for access, so if he can't climb, it will be difficult, although I believe there are pool lifts, but we didn't utilize them.  The Solarium pools are shallow, with bench seats, but have shallow steps to climb down into them -- again, it depends on his abilities.  However, when I took my DD without DH, the lifeguards were very quick to help me (I also have mobility issues).  He would be allowed in the solarium as he is over 16. 

2) Port stops -- we had different ones (Southern Caribbean), & because the handicap accessible ones  are basically just bus tours, you will have to gauge how interesting that will be for all of you.  Our previous cruise (Adventure, last May) hit the spots you're going to, & our bus tour wasn't that enjoyable for me & DD, mainly because we ended up staying on the bus, since getting in & out was difficult for me. YMMV.  You can just choose to walk around Nassau -- there are several spots within a 1 mile radius of the port that are interesting -- but the streets are not too wheelchair friendly, and there are hilly areas, so again, it depends on what you want/are capable of doing with him.  

Coco Cay has the new Perfect Day options that weren't there when we went there, but there are sand wheelchairs that will get him around on the sand, and there are also little golf carts & a tram (I think) that will get you around so that you don't have to walk too much there.  We got a cabana, mainly to keep DD out of the sun, but there are shaded areas as well

3) There is plenty to do on the ship -- we took DD to the Gift (which didn't do anything for us :10_wink: ), Spectra's Cabaret, which was the musical/acrobatic show that she loved, & We Will Rock You, which she enjoyed even though she couldn't follow the storyline, because she loves music.  We also took her to a few of the night time shows.  We had her tablet with movies on an SD card, so that was available to her when we wanted quiet time.  Didn't do the bumper cars or anything in the SeaPlex, because that's not her thing, although she did like the Dog House (hot dog /sausage place).  Also, while they are not marked on the website deck plans, there are several "family" restrooms which will help if only your wife is with him when he needs to use the restroom, or if it's just easier than using the handicap stall.  They are marked on the electronic deck plans on board.  I remember 1 on the pool deck (deck 14) & 1 in 270 (deck 5) for sure.

4) We took her up in North Star, & she loved that, as did we.  Definitely reserve a spot as soon as it opens up in your cruise planner.

5) The cabin doors are VERY heavy, and were just wide enough for her wheelchair to fit through, & hers is not terribly big, as we got it when she was 14 & she isn't that big even now.  If there are 2 adults, one to hold the door, & one to push (unless he pushes himself) it's ok,  but it's tough by yourself (although I managed to always find someone to help if I was alone). If you don't have an accessible room, that is something to consider. Also, the bathroom (again, unless accessible room) is a small step up from the main floor of the cabin, & the showers are fairly small, although you can request a shower stool if he needs that.  You can also request a toilet seat "booster" if it will be easier for him if the seat is raised. 

6) The staff was always very helpful & extremely accommodating to us, as were the passengers.  I always appreciate that, as it can be rough travelling with a handicapped person, & the offer of assistance, even when you might not need it, is very nice.

Hope this info helps, & that you all have a wonderful time!!

12 hours ago, abbasmom said:

I have taken Anthem of the Seas twice with my Son who was 16 and the next year 17.  He is physically and developementally handicapped and used a wheelchair while on the trip.  We LOVED Anthem.  He can walk but is challenged.  One thing he did do twice was the iFly.  You would not believe how accomadation they where.  They lowered the fans and had two instuctors inside to assist him.  It scared me at first but brought tears to my eyes to see him have so much fun.  The bumper cars was a huge hit.  He went on many times.  The staff would wave us on to the front so he didn't wait in line for too long.  He loved all the movie charactors who walk around.  The North Star is accesible.  He loved all the shows and I would agree the Gift is not the most enjoyable.  The WindJammer is hard for us since we can't leave our Son and pushing a chair and holding plates is a challenge.  Book the Solarium Bisto for dinner.  Also go to the main dinning rooms for breakfast to take advantage of table service.  There is soooo much to do and see on the ship that there is no need to watch ipad movie for entertainment.  We didn't do Orlando excursions because of the length of time it takes to get there.  It's too long on a bus.  The Kennedy Space Centre was perfect.  The first time we did Gator Land.  AND you wouldn't believe they had a zip line there with a wheelchair set up.  Our Son ziplined OMG!!!  Bahamas we went to Blue Lagoon for the dolphin swim.  He did walk a short distance there, but I can't remember if that was by choice.  We also did a tour of Atlantis and that was great as well (all wheelchair accesible).  I highly recomment Anthem!

Thanks for all the great info , its great to chat with folks who understand my sons handicap. 

He cannot walk anymore , at 1 time yes(some)  , but in the last few years no.   

Ive considered the dolphin swim for him . Do they have those beach wheelchairs ? Because Id have to wheel him at least to the water if not in it I would need that.  So is it the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim ? Ive seen several listed . Do you recall the price ? 

The ifly may not work for him but we wont rule it out yet , .Im unsure how he would react to it.I might book it a couple days in so I can judge it first and if nothing eles just cancel.         North Star is something we will do for sure!! If myself or my wife ride with him im sure the bumper cars would make his day. Loading him in it would be a challenge but im sure well worth it . 

Our travel agent suggested touring Atlantis so its great to get a thumbs up from a parent.

What is the GIFT ????

Thanks for the great advice , im trying to get my plans in order so when the plan goes up at +90 days I can have things set.

1 hour ago, MaryCS62 said:

We were on Anthem in January with 28 yo DD /(age ~ 5 mentally) who is also in a wheelchair -- CP -- can walk, but slowly, not for long distances, & not safe in crowds, so we use her chair most of the time.

1) The non Solarium pools have straight up & down staircases for access, so if he can't climb, it will be difficult, although I believe there are pool lifts, but we didn't utilize them.  The Solarium pools are shallow, with bench seats, but have shallow steps to climb down into them -- again, it depends on his abilities.  However, when I took my DD without DH, the lifeguards were very quick to help me (I also have mobility issues).  He would be allowed in the solarium as he is over 16. 

2) Port stops -- we had different ones (Southern Caribbean), & because the handicap accessible ones  are basically just bus tours, you will have to gauge how interesting that will be for all of you.  Our previous cruise (Adventure, last May) hit the spots you're going to, & our bus tour wasn't that enjoyable for me & DD, mainly because we ended up staying on the bus, since getting in & out was difficult for me. YMMV.  You can just choose to walk around Nassau -- there are several spots within a 1 mile radius of the port that are interesting -- but the streets are not too wheelchair friendly, and there are hilly areas, so again, it depends on what you want/are capable of doing with him.  

Coco Cay has the new Perfect Day options that weren't there when we went there, but there are sand wheelchairs that will get him around on the sand, and there are also little golf carts & a tram (I think) that will get you around so that you don't have to walk too much there.  We got a cabana, mainly to keep DD out of the sun, but there are shaded areas as well

3) There is plenty to do on the ship -- we took DD to the Gift (which didn't do anything for us :10_wink: ), Spectra's Cabaret, which was the musical/acrobatic show that she loved, & We Will Rock You, which she enjoyed even though she couldn't follow the storyline, because she loves music.  We also took her to a few of the night time shows.  We had her tablet with movies on an SD card, so that was available to her when we wanted quiet time.  Didn't do the bumper cars or anything in the SeaPlex, because that's not her thing, although she did like the Dog House (hot dog /sausage place).  Also, while they are not marked on the website deck plans, there are several "family" restrooms which will help if only your wife is with him when he needs to use the restroom, or if it's just easier than using the handicap stall.  They are marked on the electronic deck plans on board.  I remember 1 on the pool deck (deck 14) & 1 in 270 (deck 5) for sure.

4) We took her up in North Star, & she loved that, as did we.  Definitely reserve a spot as soon as it opens up in your cruise planner.

5) The cabin doors are VERY heavy, and were just wide enough for her wheelchair to fit through, & hers is not terribly big, as we got it when she was 14 & she isn't that big even now.  If there are 2 adults, one to hold the door, & one to push (unless he pushes himself) it's ok,  but it's tough by yourself (although I managed to always find someone to help if I was alone). If you don't have an accessible room, that is something to consider. Also, the bathroom (again, unless accessible room) is a small step up from the main floor of the cabin, & the showers are fairly small, although you can request a shower stool if he needs that.  You can also request a toilet seat "booster" if it will be easier for him if the seat is raised. 

6) The staff was always very helpful & extremely accommodating to us, as were the passengers.  I always appreciate that, as it can be rough travelling with a handicapped person, & the offer of assistance, even when you might not need it, is very nice.

Hope this info helps, & that you all have a wonderful time!!

Thanks for all the great info !!!!!

1.) Yes he will require a lift for the pool so is the Solarium pools are for adults/young adults ?

2.)Yes I was concerned about a tour depending on the accessible stops . I assume the bus has a lift ? Anything great or must see near the Nassua port ?

I agree on CocoCay .We will at least will enjoy a meal there  , look around .

3.)The shows how a great chance of being enjoyable to him , ill know more when they are posted.Great to hear about the family restrooms , they will be a help.

4.) North Star is on our list.

5.)  In regards to our room we booked a acessible one and from pictures ive seen the bathroom will do well for him. 

6.)Looking forward to the staff helping .

Thanks for the great info there , it really helps !

They are very accommodating at the bumper cars and the cars are for two people.  There are pool lifts in the Solarium.  The Atlantis tour with the dolphins swim there might be more ideal.  We went to Blue Lagoon and I’m not sure if it’s 100% accessible. We did get on and off the tour boat in a wheelchair but there was a short walk to dolphin pool. Good Luck!!!