Sanford Airport transfer to port

(I've tried searching this in the forums but nothing came up, so I apologize if this has been addressed previously)

What is the most cost efficient/easy way to get from Sanford airport to Port Canaveral and then from the port back to the airport?  I've found lots of transfer services online, but this is our first cruise so I just need suggestions from people who have actually used them. We will be in Orlando for 4 days prior to our cruise so we will have a rental car we will be returning to the airport the morning of our cruise. There are only 3 of us traveling (me, husband, son).  

So what has everyone used? shuttle bus? private car service? Uber? I got a quote from a private car service that is $300. I really don't want to pay that much if there are other options out there!  

TIA!  I have found so many great tips for our cruise from these forums!!  Thank you!

What about dropping your rental car off at the Port Canaveral car rental office (instead of bringing it back to Sanford) and taking the free car rental shuttle over to the ship? All the major car rental places are represented at Port Canaveral and all have free shuttles that run every 15 minutes or so. You can arrange a one-way, one-day rental for the trip back to Sanford, too. Same thing- take the car rental shuttle to the office, pick up the car and drive to Sanford (about 1 hour away). You can send one person ahead to get the car and swing back to pick up the others at the Port, or all ride the car rental shuttle to the office. 

I would look into dropping off the car in Canaveral like @twinswithtwins said. Also, when we sailed out of Baltimore but needed to fly back out of Washington DC due to a schedule change, it was actually MUCH cheaper to rent a car from Hertz in downtown Baltimore and drop it off at the Reagan airport rather than book other transportation.

7 minutes ago, SPS said:

I would look into dropping off the car in Canaveral like @twinswithtwins said. Also, when we sailed out of Baltimore but needed to fly back out of Washington DC due to a schedule change, it was actually MUCH cheaper to rent a car from Hertz in downtown Baltimore and drop it off at the Reagan airport rather than book other transportation.

In October I'm booking through Hertz and staying at and dropping the car off at the Residence Inn at Cape Canaveral, Hertz is in the same parking lot as the Residence Inn. Then taking a shuttle to the port the next morning, the port appears very close.

This was recommended by @WAAAYTOOO

2 hours ago, twinswithtwins said:

What about dropping your rental car off at the Port Canaveral car rental office (instead of bringing it back to Sanford) and taking the free car rental shuttle over to the ship? All the major car rental places are represented at Port Canaveral and all have free shuttles that run every 15 minutes or so. You can arrange a one-way, one-day rental for the trip back to Sanford, too. Same thing- take the car rental shuttle to the office, pick up the car and drive to Sanford (about 1 hour away). You can send one person ahead to get the car and swing back to pick up the others at the Port, or all ride the car rental shuttle to the office. 

I actually changed my car rental reservation to do this yesterday!!  It was much cheaper to change the drop off location than arrange transportation. I think we will just plan to Uber from the port to the airport after the cruise. It probably won't be much more than renting a car and definitely easier.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!  As always, y'all rock!

Glad it worked out for you ..... It's a challenge with Sanford because it's #2 behind MCO..... Outside of Allegiant, I'm not sure what other airlines use it.  I will say this, it's an incredibly easy airport because it's so underutilized, the location of it is less than convenient though (literally opposite side of Orlando from Disney World -- SW side vs. NE side)

22 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

It a lot nicer getting  in and out of than MCO for sure....was a breeze the one time I used it flying Allegiant.....seemed like there were a few other airlines that use it, but nothing that seems to link up from the NE anyways.

Exactly ..... even though the airport is an additional 45 minutes away from my mothers (vs. MCO) --- we used them to fly into Hagerstown, MD.....which is about 45 minutes closer to our home (from BWI) in far western Maryland..... so, for us, it was a wash..... the down side is that the flights are few and far between for Allegiant, whereas, with Southwest going from BWI to MCO..... there are several per day.