I'd have to look back in my cruise history but one of my most favorite cruises was a 12 day Royal cruise out of L.A..  Hit Catalina Island, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, San Diego, then back to L.A..  It's been some time though as Cabo now is waaaay different.

If you really want a west coast I would do Princess.  We have sailed Princess several times in the past and actually found the food better than Royal and the service maybe a tick better.  Lately though the price of Princess cruises has taken a price jump and with Royal offering better pricing for kids we have done more Royal cruising lately.

I suspect Royal is constantly looking at opportunities to break into new markets or tweak & find new ways, of making past markets more attractive & viable to its bottomline.

One consideration is overnight stays in some major U.S. cities like SF or LA on 7N cruises to/fro Vancouver. Explorer ots have done that in the past...still, with the Amped project in play, this may make things more attractive. Also, a 4N and/or 5N sailing from LA to any Mex port & back may provide a more attractive alternative...same scenario out of San Diego. Finally, maybe invest & creating a private island like at Islas Coronado or Islas de Todos Santos, for an example.

There are ways to increase the viability of the West Coast market imo; no doubt, a huge amount of capital would need to be invested, similar to their Private Island Initiative, they plan to build in certain markets around the world. Dubai have certainly shown how to construct artificial islands...if Royal want to go that route as well.

On ‎2019‎/‎05‎/‎19 at 8:22 PM, JasonL said:

I'm from Seattle and I feel your pain, I am Loyal to Royal but sometimes I think about trying carnival because they cruise from cali.

Also I really wish Royal did a few weekend getaway cruises out of seattle a year. I told my wife I was going to book every weekend trip available out of Seattle when the new bookings came out. So when the new sailings came out and there were ZERO out of Seattle I was pretty  bummed. There are a couple out of vancouver, but I might as well fly to California if I have to cross the border for a 3 or 4 night

Totally agree with you there. I'm from Vancouver and my wife and I always talk about how nice it would be to have weekend cruise options to just hop on for a couple nights without having to fly anywhere like the folks in Florida can.

On ‎2019‎/‎06‎/‎11 at 1:02 PM, BB1 said:

Actually,  in 2011 we were on Carnival because we didn't want to fly. Carnival was not for us and so we have been flying to Texas or Florida since. I believe Royal left California in 2010.

It was 2010. I was on the last Mexican Riviara cruise on Mariner before she headed to Asia.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, JasonL said:

I'm from Seattle and I feel your pain, I am Loyal to Royal but sometimes I think about trying carnival because they cruise from cali.

Also I really wish Royal did a few weekend getaway cruises out of seattle a year. I told my wife I was going to book every weekend trip available out of Seattle when the new bookings came out. So when the new sailings came out and there were ZERO out of Seattle I was pretty  bummed. There are a couple out of vancouver, but I might as well fly to California if I have to cross the border for a 3 or 4 night

I'm also from Seattle.  We did a 7 night cruise to Astoria, OR, San Francisco, and Victoria B.C. last fall on the Explorer out of Seattle.  Great trip and the weather that time of year in S.F. was amazing.  Now that the Ovation has replaced the Explorer I don't see it offered, but I would definitely do that one again.

The issue with weekend getaways isn't filling the ship for the weekend it's what happens during the weekdays in between.  

In Florida there are lots of retired people, many of them top elite that will sail during the week on the 4 night cruises.  Spring break or summer and the 4 night cruises are full on their own.  That's a challenge with West Coast 4 night weekday cruises - who will fill the ship?  Few people will fly for a 4 night cruise so it has to be a local crowd.

When i did a 3/4 B2B on Carnival on the West Coast the 4 night weekday cruise seemed dead compared to the weekend 3 night leg.  The 4 night was cheaper too.  

On 6/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, twangster said:

Ensenada is my least favorite port of all time.  I'll take tendering in Cabo before Ensenada.  

The port itself isn't pretty, but if you go to the vineyards in the area you could enjoy very much, there are beautiful places around. 

Los Cabos authorities should construct a port with  large docks. Tendering usually drives away many cruisers. 

Puerto Vallarta is finishing a new port terminal and there is a lot to do and see in the area. The old town is very nice.

I would avoid Mazatlán and Acapulco. But there are other nice options like Huatulco.

I think there is a lot of market, Voyager class should be an excellent choice for RCI to do Pacific cruises.  

35 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

That`s why we are moving back to Florida this fall.  Lots of ports to choose from and no more airline hassles.  And 3 grandchildren.  

Wow that’s some commitment to cruising!!! I see the allure tho... 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:42 AM, Vancity Cruiser said:

Totally agree with you there. I'm from Vancouver and my wife and I always talk about how nice it would be to have weekend cruise options to just hop on for a couple nights without having to fly anywhere like the folks in Florida can.

Last year I was able to do a 3 night out of seattle on Explorer. It stopped in Victoria which we almost didn't get off, been there done that. We didn't care though, we just wanted to get our weekend cruise fix without the kids. Be lazy and get quality time together. I totally get what @twangster is saying though, it's probably not a strong market.... I just want it anyways 😆

25 minutes ago, JasonL said:

Last year I was able to do a 3 night out of seattle on Explorer. It stopped in Victoria which we almost didn't get off, been there done that. We didn't care though, we just wanted to get our weekend cruise fix without the kids. Be lazy and get quality time together. I totally get what @twangster is saying though, it's probably not a strong market.... I just want it anyways 😆

Yes!!!! I just want it anyways!!! haha

On 6/11/2019 at 4:44 PM, GlowTheWeird said:

I hear what your saying, but even Disney does a Mexican riveria cruise.  Can we have just one ship this way for those of us closer to this side of the nation.   Norwegian and  Carnival does have this area pretty locked down... 

Now that Cuba is off limits again, RC should move the Majesty to Cali to do the Mexican Riviera and the Empress to Philly or Baltimore to do Bermuda sailing into Hamilton and St. George instead of the touristy Navy Yard.

14 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I've heard an unverified rumour (from a reliable source) that Royal has plans for a private island in Mexican Riviera and a new home on the west coast for Liberty once the new Oasis sized terminal is built in Galveston. Fingers crossed.

Ekkkkkk!!! I am loving this unverified rumor!!!!  

Does anyone know if any construction has started in Galveston or the estimated completion date. This and west coast cruises would be huge for us out west.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, Jjohnb said:

Now that Cuba is off limits again, RC should move the Majesty to Cali to do the Mexican Riviera and the Empress to Philly or Baltimore to do Bermuda sailing into Hamilton and St. George instead of the touristy Navy Yard.

Loved the Bermuda cruise on Song of America that went to St. Georges and Hamilton. Easy access to history, shopping and beaches. All three are more limited at the Royal Dockyard.

58 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Loved the Bermuda cruise on Song of America that went to St. Georges and Hamilton. Easy access to history, shopping and beaches. All three are more limited at the Royal Dockyard.

Empress is going there next year (St Georges and Hamilton).

3 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I've heard an unverified rumour (from a reliable source) that Royal has plans for a private island in Mexican Riviera and a new home on the west coast for Liberty once the new Oasis sized terminal is built in Galveston. Fingers crossed.

Well one thing for sure...it would be wonderful news to truly hear Liberty ots, based on the West Coast.