West Coast Cruising

11 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Does anyone know why Royal doesn’t cruise out of California?  They do a few Panama Canal cruises, but nothing down to Mexico. We only cruise Royal, but sadly, We live along the wrong coast..... 

The only one I've seen sails out of San Diego and ends in I think Vancouver. Also there is only one cruise a season. 

I'm from Seattle and I feel your pain, I am Loyal to Royal but sometimes I think about trying carnival because they cruise from cali.

Also I really wish Royal did a few weekend getaway cruises out of seattle a year. I told my wife I was going to book every weekend trip available out of Seattle when the new bookings came out. So when the new sailings came out and there were ZERO out of Seattle I was pretty  bummed. There are a couple out of vancouver, but I might as well fly to California if I have to cross the border for a 3 or 4 night

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, JasonL said:

I'm from Seattle and I feel your pain, I am Loyal to Royal but sometimes I think about trying carnival because they cruise from cali.

Also I really wish Royal did a few weekend getaway cruises out of seattle a year. I told my wife I was going to book every weekend trip available out of Seattle when the new bookings came out. So when the new sailings came out and there were ZERO out of Seattle I was pretty  bummed. There are a couple out of vancouver, but I might as well fly to California if I have to cross the border for a 3 or 4 night

Yes!!!  I’ve thought about trying a different cruise line just to be able to drive and not fly to a port but.... yes—- loyal to royal and I end up just flying to Texas or Florida. 

I think the Corporate answer is that they are focusing where they have the strongest foot hold, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Alaska and Asia.

My personal opinion is that Carnival has just a strong hold on the West coast that it would be hard for Royal to negotiate port rates and port stops for a cruise. I'm sure they constantly run the numbers.

At one time several years ago, it was they didn't want to go to the Pacific Mexican ports because of all of the drug cartel violence. 

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

I think the Corporate answer is that they are focusing where they have the strongest foot hold, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Alaska and Asia.

My personal opinion is that Carnival has just a strong hold on the West coast that it would be hard for Royal to negotiate port rates and port stops for a cruise. I'm sure they constantly run the numbers.

At one time several years ago, it was they didn't want to go to the Pacific Mexican ports because of all of the drug cartel violence. 

Makes tons of sense..... bummer. 

We used to go out of LA. Back around 2011 there were lots of problems in Mexico,  in fact, I think several crew members were kidnapped.  Our last trip, we spent two nights in Cabo and skipped Mazatlan altogether. I also have heard that they were having a lot of problems with the state of California and the dock workers. I don't know those particulars.

We used to go out of LA. Back around 2011 there were lots of problems in Mexico,  in fact, I think several crew members were kidnapped.  Our last trip, we spent two nights in Cabo and skipped Mazatlan altogether. I also have heard that they were having a lot of problems with the state of California and the dock workers. I don't know those particulars.

Having cruised the West cost to Mexico the problem for me as a consumer are the lack luster ports of call.   Options are South to Mexico or North to Canada.  That's it.  Same ports week after week.  Cruise routes say with a straight line up or down.  Hawaii from California is a niche market given the longer itineraries and numerous sea days which limits the target market for this type of cruising.

I can't think of any West coast MX ports I'd want to do more than once every few years.  I've done the 3/4 night and 7 night routes on Carnival out of Long Beach.  If Royal offered the same ports I'd have a hard time buying a plane ticket from Colorado to sail it.   Cozumel or Puerto Maya on the other hand on Mexico's East coast never seem to get old.  The West MX ports of call are very different.

Looking North to Canada I visit some of these ports when I cruise Alaska so a West coast cruise North to many of the same ports is not enticing.  

There is very little diversity beyond those two choices and that is the the biggest impediment to West coast cruising.

Carnival has been left to "own" much of these routes but in many cases the ships are old and small, regardless of HAL, Princess or Carnival.  If you can catch a newer Princess ship in transition coming off Panama or on the way to Hawaii or Alaska there is newer metal on the West coast but most options are old and small.  Carnival has a captive market offering cheap low frills cruises but how do you make East coast cruising kind of money taking on a low cost competitor?  

Royal could disrupt Carnival for a season by doing what they have done to the short Florida market (3/4 night cruises).  They could bring in a newer ship or a newly AMPED ship for a season and Carnival sales would plummet.  There isn't enough itinerary diversity to hold a larger ship there very long so a long term presence for a larger ship is unlikely but the contrast of old low cost versus new whizbang would likely be enough to get people to pay more to sail Royal at least once or twice.  

The other opportunity for Royal would be to compete more with Princess doing Hawaii round trip runs but that's not your typical family cruise vacation demographic taking Hawaii cruises and that is what Royal is all about.

I almost sailed Princess recently on the West coast as they had some crazy low rates repositioning ships as they came or went from Hawaii but even stupidly low fares weren't enough to draw me there.  If Royal offered a $112 rate for a 3 night cruise I might do it for points but they aren't going to make money competing at those price points.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal could disrupt Carnival for a season by doing what they have done to the short Florida market (3/4 night cruises).  They could bring in a newer ship or a newly AMPED ship for a season and Carnival sales would plummet.  There isn't enough itinerary diversity to hold a larger ship there very long so a long term presence for a larger ship is unlikely but the contrast of old low cost versus new whizbang would likely be enough to get people to pay more to sail Royal at least once or twice.  

This is exactly my hope! Just gimme one season to take a bunch of 3 or 4 night weekend trips out of SD or LA so I can drive! The "new" ship would get my money time and time again without having to factor in flight pricing. I go to Puerto Vallarta yearly as it is so the repetition of that + Cabo wouldn't bother me.

I am dying to go on a ship with The Perfect Storm and HAL is never gonna satisfy my deep love of watersliding. I don't think I can stoop to Carnival after things I've heard here! haha 

16 minutes ago, DDaley said:

This is exactly my hope! Just gimme one season to take a bunch of 3 or 4 night weekend trips out of SD or LA so I can drive! The "new" ship would get my money time and time again without having to factor in flight pricing. I go to Puerto Vallarta yearly as it is so the repetition of that + Cabo wouldn't bother me.

I am dying to go on a ship with The Perfect Storm and HAL is never gonna satisfy my deep love of watersliding. I don't think I can stoop to Carnival after things I've heard here! haha 

Right!  I’ll even take empress!  Dare to dream to be able to drive to a port and hop on a 3/4 day mini trip. 

I would agree with the above.  I would love to be able to drive to the port. Flying has become such a hassle.  I go for the ships and would gladly sail from LA or San Diego. When Royal left California, their main reason was that it was difficult to fill ships, Mariner at the time, and it was not profitable. Also they used the other reasons I previously mentioned.

40 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I would agree with the above.  I would love to be able to drive to the port. Flying has become such a hassle.  I go for the ships and would gladly sail from LA or San Diego. When Royal left California, their main reason was that it was difficult to fill ships, Mariner at the time, and it was not profitable. Also they used the other reasons I previously mentioned.

There’s definitely less variety and the whole danger and beheading thing is a turnoff haha. But I think we will just have to sit and wish upon a Star about getting royal over here again (sorry I’m super weird and I’m totally bored at work right now with this wish upon a Star stuff haha...)

Just now, Oliver said:

Yeah I personally think that Royal should take Empress and/or Majesty over there at this point to the west coast and see what’s happens 

I think it's time for them to try again, too. I was on Viking Serenade back in the day, when she was running 3/4 night Ensenada trips. It was fun!

I'd have to look back in my cruise history but one of my most favorite cruises was a 12 day Royal cruise out of L.A..  Hit Catalina Island, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, San Diego, then back to L.A..  It's been some time though as Cabo now is waaaay different.

If you really want a west coast I would do Princess.  We have sailed Princess several times in the past and actually found the food better than Royal and the service maybe a tick better.  Lately though the price of Princess cruises has taken a price jump and with Royal offering better pricing for kids we have done more Royal cruising lately.

I suspect Royal is constantly looking at opportunities to break into new markets or tweak & find new ways, of making past markets more attractive & viable to its bottomline.

One consideration is overnight stays in some major U.S. cities like SF or LA on 7N cruises to/fro Vancouver. Explorer ots have done that in the past...still, with the Amped project in play, this may make things more attractive. Also, a 4N and/or 5N sailing from LA to any Mex port & back may provide a more attractive alternative...same scenario out of San Diego. Finally, maybe invest & creating a private island like at Islas Coronado or Islas de Todos Santos, for an example.

There are ways to increase the viability of the West Coast market imo; no doubt, a huge amount of capital would need to be invested, similar to their Private Island Initiative, they plan to build in certain markets around the world. Dubai have certainly shown how to construct artificial islands...if Royal want to go that route as well.

On ‎2019‎/‎05‎/‎19 at 8:22 PM, JasonL said:

Totally agree with you there. I'm from Vancouver and my wife and I always talk about how nice it would be to have weekend cruise options to just hop on for a couple nights without having to fly anywhere like the folks in Florida can.

On ‎2019‎/‎06‎/‎11 at 1:02 PM, BB1 said:

Actually,  in 2011 we were on Carnival because we didn't want to fly. Carnival was not for us and so we have been flying to Texas or Florida since. I believe Royal left California in 2010.

It was 2010. I was on the last Mexican Riviara cruise on Mariner before she headed to Asia.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:22 PM, JasonL said:

I'm also from Seattle.  We did a 7 night cruise to Astoria, OR, San Francisco, and Victoria B.C. last fall on the Explorer out of Seattle.  Great trip and the weather that time of year in S.F. was amazing.  Now that the Ovation has replaced the Explorer I don't see it offered, but I would definitely do that one again.

The issue with weekend getaways isn't filling the ship for the weekend it's what happens during the weekdays in between.  

In Florida there are lots of retired people, many of them top elite that will sail during the week on the 4 night cruises.  Spring break or summer and the 4 night cruises are full on their own.  That's a challenge with West Coast 4 night weekday cruises - who will fill the ship?  Few people will fly for a 4 night cruise so it has to be a local crowd.

When i did a 3/4 B2B on Carnival on the West Coast the 4 night weekday cruise seemed dead compared to the weekend 3 night leg.  The 4 night was cheaper too.  

On 6/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, twangster said:

Ensenada is my least favorite port of all time.  I'll take tendering in Cabo before Ensenada.  

The port itself isn't pretty, but if you go to the vineyards in the area you could enjoy very much, there are beautiful places around. 

Los Cabos authorities should construct a port with  large docks. Tendering usually drives away many cruisers. 

Puerto Vallarta is finishing a new port terminal and there is a lot to do and see in the area. The old town is very nice.

I would avoid Mazatlán and Acapulco. But there are other nice options like Huatulco.

I think there is a lot of market, Voyager class should be an excellent choice for RCI to do Pacific cruises.  

On 6/13/2019 at 6:42 AM, Vancity Cruiser said:

Totally agree with you there. I'm from Vancouver and my wife and I always talk about how nice it would be to have weekend cruise options to just hop on for a couple nights without having to fly anywhere like the folks in Florida can.

Last year I was able to do a 3 night out of seattle on Explorer. It stopped in Victoria which we almost didn't get off, been there done that. We didn't care though, we just wanted to get our weekend cruise fix without the kids. Be lazy and get quality time together. I totally get what @twangster is saying though, it's probably not a strong market.... I just want it anyways ?

25 minutes ago, JasonL said:

Last year I was able to do a 3 night out of seattle on Explorer. It stopped in Victoria which we almost didn't get off, been there done that. We didn't care though, we just wanted to get our weekend cruise fix without the kids. Be lazy and get quality time together. I totally get what @twangster is saying though, it's probably not a strong market.... I just want it anyways ?

Yes!!!! I just want it anyways!!! haha

On 6/11/2019 at 4:44 PM, GlowTheWeird said:

I hear what your saying, but even Disney does a Mexican riveria cruise.  Can we have just one ship this way for those of us closer to this side of the nation.   Norwegian and  Carnival does have this area pretty locked down... 

Now that Cuba is off limits again, RC should move the Majesty to Cali to do the Mexican Riviera and the Empress to Philly or Baltimore to do Bermuda sailing into Hamilton and St. George instead of the touristy Navy Yard.