Gym induction?

4 hours ago, Marmaduke said:

Hi again everyone, another question for you....

Do you have to go through an induction before you are allowed to use the Gym/fitness centre? 

Thank you

No. Just turn up and use it. There are staff around if you need help with any of the equipment. 

I use the gym on sea-days for about 30mins and I'm sure that's how I only put on 3lbs on a 14 night cruise with the drink package and eating everything I wanted ?

Good luck finding any staff to help unless you want something that you have to pay for, like a foot analysis. On my last three or four Royal cruises the gym staff have been conspicuous by their absence and/or their lack of interest. On Serenade a couple of years ago the instructor spent all her time hunched over her mobile phone (except when she was doing foot analyses). I never once saw her lift her eyes or walk around the gym to see if anyone needed any assistance. This was an 11-night cruise and I was in the gym every day!

The gyms are an accident waiting to happen, especially since people are so inclined to "give it a go" just because it's included in their cruise fare, even if they wouldn't dream of setting foot in a gym at home. I have seen people in there on the treadmills in flip-flops and/or long floaty dresses and there is not a single instructor to be seen to warn them of the dangers.

In the past Royal always instructors on hand in the gym but for some reason they seem to think the gym is a good place to save some money by cutting staff. MSC have them beaten hands-down in this respect. They make you sign a waiver, there is always an instructor present in the gym and they do chase people away who are not properly kitted out.

On the plus side, the gyms are great, far superior to the ones you usually find in hotels at land-based resorts. As I understand it, they can be quite busy in the mornings. I usually go in the evenings, around 4.30/5.00 pm at which time they are usually quiet and you can get your workout done without having to wait around for the machines.

37 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

In the past Royal always instructors on hand in the gym but for some reason they seem to think the gym is a good place to save some money by cutting staff.

I thought the gym was staffed / run by the same third party that staffs and runs the spa area? If that's the case, then it's more that company deciding to cut back than Royal.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

I thought the gym was staffed / run by the same third party that staffs and runs the spa area? If that's the case, then it's more that company deciding to cut back than Royal.

In the past they were part of Royal's sports staff. It's possible that in more recent years the responsibility could have been passed on to the company that runs the spa; I honestly don't know. But either way, for a cruise line that constantly emphasises the importance of guest safety, the current level of gym staffing leaves a lot to be desired.