To BOGO or Not To BOGO (keep or cancel)

When we booked Navigator, one of the first things we did was purchase BOGO.  It cost us $52 CAD pp (4 of us, but we'd get refund and only charged $10 for our younger one).

Then a little while ago, we were thinking that it's only a 4 night cruise and we are ones who enjoy the MDR so we will probably cancel.  On Mariner, we did Chops and really enjoyed it, but we were a bit disappointed on Symphony with the same restaurant.  Even our DS said he just wants the MDR.

But now it seems like BOGO is gone fleet wide and at best, we can get Chops + 1 at $87 (and Chops alone is $57).

So...debating if we should just keep BOGO as this might be the last time we bother with specialty....but then again it's 50% of our dining time and it would save us $200 by cancelling.  And we enjoy getting to know our waiter in MDR, etc.  But is BOGO a thing of the past?  I'm sure many either just purchase the 3 day dining (which is close in price to Chops + 1), ultimate or nothing with the current prices.

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

but then again it's 50% of our dining time and it would save us $200 by cancelling. 

I have a brilliant idea!  Cancel the BOGO and take the $200 you save and upgrade to that JS!  Then your upgrade is only $550 extra or $275pp extra!  See how my mind works ??

4 hours ago, Skid said:

@WannaCruise , we are MDR fans and would absolutely save the $200. We had never done specialty before except for a Chops lunch. We are doing it now because we got the BOGO for $40(US) and decided to add on Hooked. We'll be happily returning to MDR.

Yeah. . that's why we're now thinking we should keep it as same price as you (but converted to CAD) and know we'll never get specialty for $20 USD each (or $26 CAD).  But like others here we like MDR and that's $200.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, WannaCruise said:

Yeah. . that's why we're now thinking we should keep it as same price as you (but converted to CAD) and know we'll never get specialty for $20 USD each (or $26 CAD).  But like others here we like MDR and that's $200.

@WannaCruise, just curious what you ended up doing. Seems like the BOGO isn't even offered anymore. Tough decision.

I’m still mad that allure didn’t let us bogo 150 Central Park.  We ended up having to book Giovanni’s, book 150 later in the week and cancelled samba grill for the last night (too much food).  What did you decide wannacruise?  Jane

14 hours ago, Skid said:

@WannaCruise, just curious what you ended up doing. Seems like the BOGO isn't even offered anymore. Tough decision.

This is for our Navigator cruise in August so we are still holding onto the BOGO reservation until we fully decide.  We're probably gonna cancel it, and pocket the money elsewhere (e.g can buy is some drinks) and even our kids said they just want the MDR.  But I agree...seems like BOGO is a thing of the past for that price.  Chops + 1 is sortuv the same thing but for $30 more per person and one of the restaurants must be Chops.

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I’m still mad that allure didn’t let us bogo 150 Central Park.  We ended up having to book Giovanni’s, book 150 later in the week and cancelled samba grill for the last night (too much food).  What did you decide wannacruise?  Jane

That's odd.  On Symphony this past March we had no restrictions except for Chef's Table and I think Izumi Hibachi.

Central Park was definitely allowed for BOGO for us.

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

That's odd.  On Symphony this past March we had no restrictions except for Chef's Table and I think Izumi Hibachi.

Central Park was definitely allowed for BOGO for us.

Yeah that is what everyone is saying.  I should have walked away and gone to the restaurant.  I was surprised the guy didn't give in....I flinched first.  Arghhhhh....    Jane

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Yeah that is what everyone is saying.  I should have walked away and gone to the restaurant.  I was surprised the guy didn't give in....I flinched first.  Arghhhhh....    Jane

If it makes you feel any better, I don't know if you would have had better luck at the restaurant. I've heard multiple reports that Allure specifically excludes Chops and 150 from dining packages despite it not saying that anywhere online. It doesn't make sense and is very frustrating to not have communicated beforehand. The most "giving in" I've heard them doing on Allure is offering to refund the dining package if the person doesn't want to dine in the other venues. 

1 hour ago, spiralqueen said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't know if you would have had better luck at the restaurant. I've heard multiple reports that Allure specifically excludes Chops and 150 from dining packages despite it not saying that anywhere online. It doesn't make sense and is very frustrating to not have communicated beforehand. The most "giving in" I've heard them doing on Allure is offering to refund the dining package if the person doesn't want to dine in the other venues. 

He gave me 20% off at 150 but I still ended up paying more than I planned.  Frustrating.  I have the 4 night PKG on vision but that shouldn't be a problem... Unless they tell me I can't do chops lol.  Jane

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2019 at 9:47 PM, Skid said:

Would you believe we're still deciding what to do with BOGO on Navigator?  We're only 3 weeks out. ?

Our DS wants to cancel as he really likes the MDR. 

DH kind of wants to keep our BOGO...only because we'll never get BOGO again for the cost at $50 CAD each.  Dining has shot way up.  

DD and I are on the fence, but if we do BOGO, then that is 2 our of 4 nights....and it's kind of nice getting to know your waiter at the MDR.  (Plus what night do they have the 50th celebration dessert?  That in itself seems pretty neat).    

17 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Plus what night do they have the 50th celebration dessert?  That in itself seems pretty neat).    

I think at this point, I would cancel the BOGO. If it was an Oasis class ship with 150 Central Park, I'd probably keep it. In this case, as we also do like the MDR, I'd save the $200. You can use it for a really nice meal on land to help the post cruise depression!?

8 hours ago, Skid said:

I think at this point, I would cancel the BOGO. If it was an Oasis class ship with 150 Central Park, I'd probably keep it. In this case, as we also do like the MDR, I'd save the $200. You can use it for a really nice meal on land to help the post cruise depression!?

Yeah...if we used it, it would be Chops and Giovanni's.  Have heard great things of 150 Central Park.  Lol...like your cruise depression suggestion.

7 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Recently, on both Anthem and Symphony, they offered it on the second formal night.

Thanks!  This is just a 4 night Navigator cruise but maybe it will be on the 'Dress Your Best' night?  

12 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks!  This is just a 4 night Navigator cruise but maybe it will be on the 'Dress Your Best' night?  

Not sure if you are on FB but there is a Royal Caribbean Dining FB page (@Matt and a few others run it).  People always post pics of the birthday cake there from various ships.  Maybe post a question there and see if anyone knows when Navigator offers it on the 4 night sailing.

11 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not sure if you are on FB but there is a Royal Caribbean Dining FB page (@Matt and a few others run it).  People always post pics of the birthday cake there from various ships.  Maybe post a question there and see if anyone knows when Navigator offers it on the 4 night sailing.

Yes...that's a very cool FB page. ?