Drink Packages with Kids

I'm helping a friend with planning. They have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. They want the deluxe package for themselves. Are they required to buy a refreshment or soda package for the boys or can they just buy DBP for themselves? The boys don't drink much soda, so it may not be worth the $8.99 a day. TIA!

I will throw myself out there on this topic.  Whenever we cruise, my wife and I buy deluxe drink packages for each of us.  They come with a souvenir cup for the soda machines.  My wife and I drink zero soda, and honestly, we don't let our kids drink a ton of it either.  We don't buy an additional package for the kids, we let them get some soda with the cups from our packages.  Technically, this is wrong and against the rules.  Shoot me I guess.  I'm just not going to spend an additional $125 for my two kids to have some soda during the week, when I have already paid for it for myself and will not drink any of it.  If the kids didn't use the cups, then they would sit in our stateroom all week.

I am sure many others do this as well, but again, if you are going strictly by the rules, this isn't allowed.        

Ok. Since it is confession time, I will join you. We always get the DBP too and I am a Coke snob so wouldn’t be caught dead drinking a fountain Coke. Dan doesn’t drink any soda at all.  Not very time but SOME times, if I meet a worthy candidate, we will give our cups away to someone who will use it. I also recognize that this is not legal.  Confession complete.  Oooh. I feel so much better !

??

Also, in the MDR if your kids ask for a soda and aren't on a package but you are on a UDP package, the wait staff will *usually* not charge you.  Only once (day one with a new Asst waiter), was I charged for a soda for one of my sons.  I think he may have been chewed out by the waiter as I wasn't charged the rest of the week.  I don't ask for a free soda and will pay for it without a fuss if given a bill.  However, I find the wait staff to be very lenient for the kids especially if the parents have the UDP.   

11 hours ago, JBC said:

I will throw myself out there on this topic.  Whenever we cruise, my wife and I buy deluxe drink packages for each of us.  They come with a souvenir cup for the soda machines.  My wife and I drink zero soda, and honestly, we don't let our kids drink a ton of it either.  We don't buy an additional package for the kids, we let them get some soda with the cups from our packages.  Technically, this is wrong and against the rules.  Shoot me I guess.  I'm just not going to spend an additional $125 for my two kids to have some soda during the week, when I have already paid for it for myself and will not drink any of it.  If the kids didn't use the cups, then they would sit in our stateroom all week.

I am sure many others do this as well, but again, if you are going strictly by the rules, this isn't allowed.        

We do the same thing, My kids fill them up before dinner and that’s pretty much it. We don’t let them drink a too much soda. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Joe\/ said:

Question about the refreshment pkg. Does the cabin steward clean the cups every night, or do you rinse it out in your cabins? Just curious how sanitary or sticky the cup is after a few days.

The cabin steward does not clean your cups. We haven't sailed on a ship with the Freestyle machines, so we just throw them in our suit cases as soon as we get them. You can get a soda at any bar, just show them your sea pass card.

14 hours ago, Joe\/ said:

Question about the refreshment pkg. Does the cabin steward clean the cups every night, or do you rinse it out in your cabins? Just curious how sanitary or sticky the cup is after a few days.

We just rinsed ours out and they were fine.  Worst case scenario wash them with a little shampoo in the shower!  Last cruise we never got ours out...too busy using the drink pkg lol.  Jane