How Much More is JS Worth

2 hours ago, nkenn said:

I have the similar dilemma.  We currently are in an Ocean View with a Large Balcony on Allure of the Seas 8/11/19 sailing.  We paid $2598.20 after fees, taxes and gratuities. I did a MOCK booking yesterday and now can get a Junior Suite for about $285.00 TOTAL not Per Person.  Do I do it?  My TA always seems to make me feel like Im bothering her when I ask things.  So I don't want to reach out unless its worth it.  Also at this point the only available cabins are in much busier sections....like directly behind Chops.  PLEASE HELP! ?

That's amazing if $285 is your difference.  On Oasis class, I say go for it.  

For us on Adventure, there is no Coastal Kitchen, the JS room and balcony dimensions are smaller than Oasis JS and our upgrade was $500 (CAD).  Yours is a no brainier if its in the budget as you'll also get Coastal Kitchen plus larger balcony and room.

Let us know what you decide.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:23 AM, FManke said:

Thanks!

Can't wait. Only 486 days to go. The hardest part is keeping it from my wife, as it is a surprise and I'm not going to tell her until our half anniversary on April 3rd.

Keeping this secret is killing me!

Like Ben Franklin said..."Three may keep a secret,  if two of them are dead"......so dont tell anyone else.

3 hours ago, BB1 said:

Here is an honest consideration.  After you've had a JS, it can be hard to go back to a regular balcony.  We started with ocean view rooms and after having a balcony,  we never went back. Just something to think about. 

^^^TRUTH!

It gets way worse after you've done Sky and Star Class!

16 hours ago, nkenn said:

My problem now is dealing with my TA ?  I texted her the info.  Everyone cross your fingers for me!!!

We still haven't pulled the "use a TA" trigger, but by all accounts on this site if you DO use one you should work with MEI going forward.

14 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Hope it works out for you.  Sounds like you need a new TA if this one makes you feel like you're a bother for doing his/her job 

Agreed I do need a new one.  She is actually a close acquaintance of mine, which makes it even more uncomfortable.  She thinks I'm just obsessing.  haha she is reaching out to me today to let me know what she can find for me.

3 hours ago, nkenn said:

Agreed I do need a new one.  She is actually a close acquaintance of mine, which makes it even more uncomfortable.  She thinks I'm just obsessing.  haha she is reaching out to me today to let me know what she can find for me.

Ah yes..I try to avoid mixing business with pleasure..but at least you know now for the next time!

A travel agent should always work for you..and there's no obligation to retain them if you don't mesh well.  

8 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

We still haven't pulled the "use a TA" trigger, but by all accounts on this site if you DO use one you should work with MEI going forward.

Absolutely!   Sharla from MEI has rebooked for several times and never been anything less than kind and gracious about doing so 

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, WannaCruise said:

That's amazing if $285 is your difference.  On Oasis class, I say go for it.  

For us on Adventure, there is no Coastal Kitchen, the JS room and balcony dimensions are smaller than Oasis JS and our upgrade was $500 (CAD).  Yours is a no brainier if its in the budget as you'll also get Coastal Kitchen plus larger balcony and room.

Let us know what you decide.

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!  And it was even CHEAPER!  I did the upgrade for a TOTAL of $256.00.  My TA also said I would lose my $50 OBC but I didn't.  Its still in my Cruise Planner and shows on my new booking receipt!  I am SO FRIGGIN EXCITED!   Thank you to all of you for your help and feedback!

10 minutes ago, nkenn said:

I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!  And it was even CHEAPER!  I did the upgrade for a TOTAL of $256.00.  My TA also said I would lose my $50 OBC but I didn't.  Its still in my Cruise Planner and shows on my new booking receipt!  I am SO FRIGGIN EXCITED!   Thank you to all of you for your help and feedback!

Yah, that's awesome!  On Allure, the benefits are even better for a JS...so wonderful news!

2 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Yah, that's awesome!  On Allure, the benefits are even better for a JS...so wonderful news!

What are the benefits exactly?  I basically did this upgrade for the larger closet, balcony and double points.  Im not familiar with any other benefits that come with this type of suite.

3 minutes ago, nkenn said:

What are the benefits exactly?  I basically did this upgrade for the larger closet, balcony and double points.  Im not familiar with any other benefits that come with this type of suite.

Haven't stayed in JS yet (trying it on Adventure for first time as from my post ? )...but on Oasis class, you also get access to Coastal Kitchen for dinner if room is available.  The rooms and balcony too seem spacious (and nice size compared with other ships).  Others can comment that have stayed in one .

1 hour ago, nkenn said:

Here's a good breakdown: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/07/26/royal-caribbeans-junior-suites-what-you-need-know

6 minutes ago, mworkman said:

@nkenn  Make sure you go to the Suite check-in line, sometime the staff have an abundance of people coming at them and they have been know to direct you to your C&A status line by mistake.

So if you're in a suite, always use the suite line opposed to C&A, which takes all C&A members? Makes sense.

1 hour ago, mworkman said:

@nkenn  Make sure you go to the Suite check-in line, sometime the staff have an abundance of people coming at them and they have been know to direct you to your C&A status line by mistake.

What is the overall boarding order? e.g. For us, we are just Platinum and have booked a JS.  Are JS bookings called before Platinum C&A level?

6 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

What is the overall boarding order? e.g. For us, we are just Platinum and have booked a JS.  Are JS bookings called before Platinum C&A level?

Yes they are. It typically goes back to back cruisers (not announced but you can see them come off and on), then Star Class (if OA/QN), Suites/Pinnacles, and then some differing order of Diamond Plus/Diamond and Key. I've heard mixed reviews of when post suite things are called. Also you will have a nicer waiting area depending on the terminal if you wait with the suites. 

3 minutes ago, spiralqueen said:

Yes they are. It typically goes back to back cruisers (not announced but you can see them come off and on), then Star Class (if OA/QN), Suites/Pinnacles, and then some differing order of Diamond Plus/Diamond and Key. I've heard mixed reviews of when post suite things are called. Also you will have a nicer waiting area depending on the terminal if you wait with the suites. 

Great to know.  We would have just gone and waited for our C&A level to be called.  We always go to the port early and wait for boarding to start to maximize our time on the ship.  (I know in the end, it may just boost us by 5-10 minutes but every minute counts...lol)

On our first cruise, after checking in, we had a seat and waited. I noticed that other guests had boarding numbers and we didn't. Went back up and told them we didn't get a number. Sat back down with boarding group 1!

Score! Beginners luck? 

I remember only a few groups going ahead of us, not sure which ones, but we were there early. I guess later in embarkation, it doesn't matter. You just board as you arrive.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

^^^TRUTH!

It gets way worse after you've done Sky and Star Class!

Agreed. We started in Promenade view, then Boardwalk balcony view, to Ocean View balcony, to Junior suite and most recently, a Grand Suite. Got the wife to agree with me that it is more than enough room for us.  But someday, I know she's going to get us in a Star class suite just to see what that's like.

2 hours ago, RWDW1204 said:

Agreed. We started in Promenade view, then Boardwalk balcony view, to Ocean View balcony, to Junior suite and most recently, a Grand Suite. Got the wife to agree with me that it is more than enough room for us.  But someday, I know she's going to get us in a Star class suite just to see what that's like.

A dream....for someday in the far far future. ?

I'm OP and DH and I did upgrade us to a JS for the first time on our Adventure cruise.  It actually came down to a nice cost for that category room. Really looking forward to trying it.

Having said that, we usually cruise with our kids (when we could actually use the space) but we travel in all different cabin choices which includes promenades, interior virtual balcony, boardwalk balcony, regular balcony.  Next cruise, which is before our Adventure cruise, we are actually trying 2 connecting (promenade) rooms for the first time. I think they'll get a kick out of having their own room.  With our other cruises, we have another one with connecting rooms, a spacious balcony (but JS size as i'ts one of those corner aft ones) and on Harmony which is 2021 we're back to 4 of us sharing an interior Central Park view room.   Would love to book a JS with all of us (never mind about the real suites with the perks), but on Harmony it would be $9500 just for the JS.  We need flights too, so for us, it's hard to justify...esp as we tend to cruise more often now. 

Next goal though is to reach Diamond...which won't be so far off after our booked cruises (which the Adventure JS helps).

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, WannaCruise said:

This will be my first time as a "Suite" Guest, so Im not 100% on this....but from listening to @@Matt 's podcasts, I understand that yes!  People in suites will board before all C&A members.  Someone can correct me if I am speaking incorrectly. 

4 minutes ago, nkenn said:

This will be my first time as a "Suite" Guest, so Im not 100% on this....but from listening to @@Matt 's podcasts, I understand that yes!  People in suites will board before all C&A members.  Someone can correct me if I am speaking incorrectly. 

As a general rule, you are correct but I have found that most terminals do a very poor job at this.  Usually, once the boarding begins it is a free-for-all with little or no priority given to suites with the single exception of Star Class on the O and Q classes.  At least in theory the suites have priority so it never hurts to give yourself the theoretical advantage.  Just don't let it ruin your day when it doesn't happen.

23 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

As a general rule, you are correct but I have found that most terminals do a very poor job at this.  Usually, once the boarding begins it is a free-for-all with little or no priority given to suites with the single exception of Star Class on the O and Q classes.  At least in theory the suites have priority so it never hurts to give yourself the theoretical advantage.  Just don't let it ruin your day when it doesn't happen.

I understand.  Thank you.  I have 11-11:30 boarding time, expedited arrival and plan on getting there around 10am.  Hopefully one of those thing will be on my side. lol  At the end of the day Ill get on either way.  Just wont be able to start drinking as early if I have to wait a little bit hahaha