How Much More is JS Worth

I know this is a personal question but if you already have a (spacious) balcony booked, how much more would you pay for a Junior Suite on a non-Oasis ship?

Our 6 night Adventure cruise has come down a nice amount, but then so has the JS.  For us, there is just 2 of us on this cruise so we are fine in terms of space and the real main benefit is the double points.  At the moment its about $750 CAD more than our booking.  It's a smaller gap than it's been but that's still a good chunk of money that can be spent elsewhere.

As a side question...do you get reserved seats for JS room (and if so, where on Adventure)?

Just now, WannaCruise said:

At the moment its about $750 CAD more than our booking.  It's a smaller gap than it's been but that's still a good chunk of money that can be spent elsewhere.

I Would Spend The Money Some Where Else If I Were You. 

2 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

As a side question...do you get reserved seats for JS room (and if so, where on Adventure)?

No You Do Not Get Reserved Seats On Any Ship With A Jr. Suite.

Hope That Helps. 

6 minutes ago, Jaymac Radio said:

I Would Spend The Money Some Where Else If I Were You. 

No You Do Not Get Reserved Seats On Any Ship With A Jr. Suite.

Hope That Helps. 

Thank you...that does.  The summary at the Suite level selection mentions dedicated entertainment seating, but that's probably for GS categories and more.  A little deceiving.  

For two people the extra space is nice but not $750 nice. If you had three people in the stateroom, I would be more inclined to say it is worth the extra cost.

The only other reasons to go with a JS vs. a spacious balcony are if the double points moves you to a C&A tier you'd like to reach sooner rather than later or if you like to have a tub.

If you're talking specifically about a non-Oasis (and also non-Quantum) class ship, then I think a JS just isn't worth it at any price. All you really get is the double points and the bigger room, and the price often so much higher that I could take another cruise for what it would cost.

Quantum class is the only one right now where I really consider it, and then only because I have one of those ships in my proverbial back yard so I'm not dealing with flight costs. Even then, like @Orange Crush I prefer to not pay more than $100 / night more than what I originally booked the balcony room for. Lucked out on that front last October and was able to snag a J4 for us, but with this coming October sailing I've never once seen a good drop on the JS rooms.

If  you do it just for the points, then you are paying ALOT for points just to reach the Diamond Plus level which in my honest opinion, a child who just wants something that another child has. Now, if you have two individuals in the room and love the extra space and tub, then I would say go for it if it's in your budget. This should be something you enjoy and NOT just to get points to get to a level that really isn't worth the extra $$$$. You can spend the extra $$$$ in something you will enjoy on your cruise NOW instead of buying into something in the future that just might not be worth it when you get to Diamond Plus in the future! Just my 2 centavos!!!  ?

You know my answer.  For that price I would.  Over $1000, no.  I would think of it as $750 for double points, suite boarding, larger room, balcony, and living space (even for 2 I feel like the balcony can be a bit of a squeeze), escape from the phone booth shower.  Hard to say though because what one person thinks is "worth it" to another, it's not.  You have to know what you value when cruising and your "cruise personality".  You do not get reserved seats for JS on any class. 

We were fine in a balcony on Adventure.   There was no worry about seats for any shows as most were half full.  I like Jr Suites for the size but for that price what else could you get to make your cruise....drink package, unlimited dining, chef table, cabana or another nice excursion?

Thanks for all the comments.  They've been helpful to see different sides.

We feel the same as the above comment that if we were a family of 3 or 4 (i.e. if our kids were with us), then the extra space would be a bigger deal.  But for just DH and I, we manage fine in a standard stateroom.  A tub and full size shower vs the tube shower isn't a bit deal.  i actually like having the glass shower door on the tube vs a curtain that flows and can leak water (unless i saw wrong in pictures).

The main goal for us would be the double points.  We currently have 5 booked cruises (all in regular staterooms) and after those we'll be 15 points from Diamond.  So if we switched to a JS on Adventure, then we'd be 9.  Typically we take 7 and 4 day cruises, so guess it just means that we'll need a 7 and two 4 days vs a 7 and one 4 day cruise.

I'll keep watching but for now, we'll probably stick with out balcony room (which for us is even a step up as we often for a promenade room)

PS - Not sure it's worth $750 but that walk in would be nice!

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh...the dilemma.  Prices dropped.  I just re-booked our room on Monday.  We have a great price, but JS dropped today and now only $500 difference.  Worth it?  Space not a huge deal when it's just two of us (and suites are only 277 sq ft on this ship) , but double points.

PS - If we went up to JS then would probably skip Chef's Table, which we were thinking of trying.

13 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Ugh...the dilemma.  Prices dropped.  I just re-booked our room on Monday.  We have a great price, but JS dropped today and now only $500 difference.  Worth it?  Space not a huge deal when it's just two of us (and suites are only 277 sq ft on this ship) , but double points.

PS - If we went up to JS then would probably skip Chef's Table, which we were thinking of trying.

I see both sides of this as I'm also trying to get to diamond.  I can see the pull for doing it for that price but I'd hate to skip Chef's Table for it.  To me Chef's Table is an experience that could be a highlight of your cruise and something you will always remember. 

29 minutes ago, melski94 said:

I see both sides of this as I'm also trying to get to diamond.  I can see the pull for doing it for that price but I'd hate to skip Chef's Table for it.  To me Chef's Table is an experience that could be a highlight of your cruise and something you will always remember. 

Yeah...unless we see a good deal onboard.  I know sometimes they offer it if they need to fill spots (or so from what I've heard).

On the good side...we do currently have The Key booked which we were planning on cancelling...so that would help pay for the difference.

One thing to clarify...our existing booking is non-refundable.  By switching rooms, there is no penalty, right?  i.e. same ship and sailing

2 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

By switching rooms, there is no penalty, right?  i.e. same ship and sailing

Correct.  No penalty for upgrading even with a NRD.  I would seriously consider upgrading to the JS - not just for the extra room and the double points, but if you are booked in a JS and get a RoyalUp offer to upgrade to an even higher suite level then you would get double points on that upgrade.  If you stay in your non-suite room and get a RoyalUp offer and your bid is accepted, you would not get double points.

Guest toodle68
On 5/16/2019 at 1:03 PM, tiny260 said:

My wife thanks it is worth it for the walk in closet

This.. 

For me, when looking at upgrades, I always see if what I am getting is worth the extra.. and that really is a personal issue.  I would pay $1,000 total for an 11 day cruise to upgrade to a JS...  but most of the cruises I have booked at the moment, the JS are over $2,000 more than a balcony. It's just not worth it.

1 hour ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Correct.  No penalty for upgrading even with a NRD.  I would seriously consider upgrading to the JS - not just for the extra room and the double points, but if you are booked in a JS and get a RoyalUp offer to upgrade to an even higher suite level then you would get double points on that upgrade.  If you stay in your non-suite room and get a RoyalUp offer and your bid is accepted, you would not get double points.

Good point (although I'm guessing the Royal Up base amount will still be a lot but you never know)

Thank you...we did it and switched to a JS.  Our first time in anything above a balcony category.  

And refunding They Key almost pays for it, plus we will most likely cancel our BOGO on our other cruise...so it all evens out. ?

1 hour ago, toodle68 said:

This.. 

For me, when looking at upgrades, I always see if what I am getting is worth the extra.. and that really is a personal issue.  I would pay $1,000 total for an 11 day cruise to upgrade to a JS...  but most of the cruises I have booked at the moment, the JS are over $2,000 more than a balcony. It's just not worth it.

Yeah...for that much, we wouldn't consider it either. 

Ours was $500 for a 6 night cruise....so 12 points. And a walk in closet and more space isn't so bad either.?

On 5/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, tiny260 said:

My wife thanks it is worth it for the walk in closet, I like the double points and the bigger shower.

I don't know if it's worth it for most cruises, but I wanted to splurge a little for our 30th anniversary cruise.

Double check for the walk-in closet. I know our  corner aft JR suite on Rhapsody does not have a walk-in closet. I believe I read this is true of corner suites, at least  on Rhapsody. Not a deal breaker for us. The HUGE balcony was a big plus though!

25 minutes ago, FManke said:

I don't know if it's worth it for most cruises, but I wanted to splurge a little for our 30th anniversary cruise.

Double check for the walk-in closet. I know our  corner aft JR suite on Rhapsody does not have a walk-in closet. I believe I read this is true of corner suites, at least  on Rhapsody. Not a deal breaker for us. The HUGE balcony was a big plus though!

Thanks.  I just found a video of another JS o Adventure (same category) and it shows a walk in. Neither are corners.

Congrats on your 30th!

3 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanks.  I just found a video of another JS o Adventure (same category) and it shows a walk in. Neither are corners.

Congrats on your 30th!

Thanks!

Can't wait. Only 486 days to go. The hardest part is keeping it from my wife, as it is a surprise and I'm not going to tell her until our half anniversary on April 3rd.

Keeping this secret is killing me!

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:41 AM, melski94 said:

I have the similar dilemma.  We currently are in an Ocean View with a Large Balcony on Allure of the Seas 8/11/19 sailing.  We paid $2598.20 after fees, taxes and gratuities. I did a MOCK booking yesterday and now can get a Junior Suite for about $285.00 TOTAL not Per Person.  Do I do it?  My TA always seems to make me feel like Im bothering her when I ask things.  So I don't want to reach out unless its worth it.  Also at this point the only available cabins are in much busier sections....like directly behind Chops.  PLEASE HELP! ?

6 minutes ago, nkenn said:

I have the similar dilemma.  We currently are in an Ocean View with a Large Balcony on Allure of the Seas 8/11/19 sailing.  We paid $2598.20 after fees, taxes and gratuities. I did a MOCK booking yesterday and now can get a Junior Suite for about $285.00 TOTAL not Per Person.  Do I do it?  My TA always seems to make me feel like Im bothering her when I ask things.  So I don't want to reach out unless its worth it.  Also at this point the only available cabins are in much busier sections....like directly behind Chops.  PLEASE HELP! ?

On an Oasis/Quantum class which Allure is? ABSOLUTELY. Not only will you get double points, but you get access to dinner in Coastal Kitchen which has food to rival the specialty restaurants and phenomenal service. Also you get to go through suite security and boarding which lets you get on the ship faster. Also directly behind Chops is not a busy section. You don't hear any noise from Central Park as it is one of the quieter areas anyway and it also has a wall between where Chops is and the hallway for the rooms. I stayed in a JS on deck 8 on Allure in May and LOVED it. You can see my liveblog of it (including raving about CK) in my signature. 

11 minutes ago, nkenn said:

YOLO, book it, full speed ahead.

16 minutes ago, nkenn said:

You absolutely must do this.  This is a DEAL!