Sailing from Bayonne

Ok, last question.....I've been on 3 other cruises, but years ago...Sailing out of NY to bermuda this coming weekend... I'm not worried, but my brother in law told my husband it's rough waters to get the patch to wear.....I've never heard anyone else complain about this,    is there any truth to it?   He said because it's not summer yet, and it is the Atlantic..  Years ago we got sick going to South  America, but only the first day, and not once on our other cruises... Thanks

I have sailed from New York/Jersey many times. Bermuda and Bahamas. As recently as last week. Since you are on this site I am assuming you will be on anthem of the Seas. You can expect a lot of gentle rocking sailing out of that area and back into it.Motion sickness is really an individual thing. I personally like the rocking. I sleep well with it. I have done the trip in the Spring and the fall and have always ecperienced the same. I have seen many people with the patch on (behind the ear) so if you think you may have a tendency towards motion sickness I would say get them as a precaution for yourselves.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Bermuda is on of my favorite countries to visit. I am sure no matter what you are in for a good time.

@mittmott, I've left from there just once in October (same sailing as @ellcee, in fact). I was fine on embarkation day and first sea day, but the night of our last sea day the water got really rough (from what I could see, anyway) and there was much more noticeable motion on the ship. I normally don't get seasick, but that night definitely left me green around the gills after dinner.

I will say that if your cabin is located mid-ship and not above deck 7 or maybe 8, you should be able to use that as a refuge from the motion if you hit really rough water; you'll only feel the ship movement when on a high deck all the way forward (e.g., Solarium area) or aft (Windjammer / Coastal Kitchen). When I started feeling really off after dinner, I went back to our mid-ship cabin on deck 7 and was fine within the hour even with the visibly rough seas around us. Didn't need to take any Bonine or anything else.

@mittmott We've sailed out of Cape Liberty/Bayonne twice to date (2013 on Explorer and 2015 on Liberty). Both cruises were in OCT. Going down was fine each time, but coming home was rocky on Explorer the last evening of the cruise.

My wife liked it as she compared it to being rocked to sleep like a baby ?... I'm sure it was in part due to the fact that they increased speed late that evening to try to get back to Bayonne on time (no storms were in the area).