St. Martin beaches

kimberlyelayne

Going to St. Martin for the first time.  Suggestion please on a beach.  We are a active family of four.  2 Older teens with Mom and Dad.  My 18 year old is 7 months post op ACL surgery so we are limited on what we can do but still want options if that makes sense.  Looking for a beach with lots to do and near by food.

1 hour ago, kimberlyelayne said:

Going to St. Martin for the first time.  Suggestion please on a beach.  We are a active family of four.  2 Older teens with Mom and Dad.  My 18 year old is 7 months post op ACL surgery so we are limited on what we can do but still want options if that makes sense.  Looking for a beach with lots to do and near by food.

For ease, you can water taxi right to the beach that is in the center of town.  It's right in front of the ship.  It's a little worn because it's so easy to get to.  There are many other beaches on the island.  Orient Beach is on the French side and is a world famous beach.  You will see some topless beachers there.  The last time we were at Orient Beach, there was a ton of sea weed.  I don't know if that's still the case.

2 hours ago, kimberlyelayne said:

There’s Maho aka “airport beach” which is pretty cool to see the planes buzzing right over your head (cocktail in hand from the famous Sunset bar located on the beach), orient beach I remember being nice but lots of solicitation to buy the souvenirs exc. We haven’t been back post hurricane but the beach adjacent to the cruise port right in town was a great spot. You are close to all the restaurants and bars and it happens to be a nice beach. Lots of choices and for the most part, you can’t really go wrong. 

As others have said, there's a beach in town near the port. It can get pretty crowded if there's a lot of ships in port. But the good thing is thatit's very close and you can get some good deals on beach loungers from some of the restaurants on the beach. The Lazy Lizard beach bar had a deal for 2 beach loungers with umbrella, 5 beers, and free WiFi for $25. 

I would say there are two great beaches in St Maarten. Orient beach which is well known. There is a nudist side on the right hand side and the one on the left is for non nudist. However, some will cross from the right side to the left side all day long. There is food available. Last july, it was still closed but I believe they fixed everything.

There is also another one which is called Grand Case. It is an excellent beach with turquoise water (like Orient beach) and a restaurant is right there.

Both are great for a day trip.

Great Bay right in town is easy to get to and has plenty of restaurants and shopping. My favorite beach on the island is Mullet Bay close to Maho, there is also a beach restaurant and bar right there and you can rent loungers and umbrellas. 

Another recommendation depending on how long you will be in port is to take a taxi to the ferry on the French side and take a 30 minute ferry to Anguilla, Shoal Bay and Shoal Bay east are some of the most beautiful beaches I have seen. When I stay on St Maarten I typically spend a day in Anguilla, usually get a 10 am ferry and stay at Shoal Bay till about 3 and I’m back on the Dutch side by 5pm.