Tips with drink package?

cruisercamper

You are not required to tip additional although this is not always clear when you're signing at a digital terminal that has pre listed dollar amounts. However, if you look carefully, you will see a $0 or "no tip" option that you can select. At times, I do tip additional if I get speedy service, the server remembers my name, or starts preparing my drink as I'm walking up to the coffee bar (I'm predictable).

This is from a different post on these boards (http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php/topic/1202-first-timer-in-the-us-cruising-oasis-cruise-in-july/?p=11005), but instead of making you search, here's my thoughts again....

B) 

First, my disclaimer: I am a bartender at Dockside Margaritas in Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. I live on tips. So, admittedly, I am biased. That said, I can still present an objective argument as to why tips really are not included when you purchase the drink package. Yes, technically, they are. But, it is a set dollar amount regardless of how much you drink or do not drink.

For example, let's say that the total gratuity amount is $50 (it's not, but it's close to that - round numbers are just easier, obviously). Then let's say you get 10 drinks over the course of your cruise. Each bartender would get $5 per drink. But, you never would get just 10 drinks, because to break even on the drink package, you would need to drink 5-8 drinks per day (easy for this guy to do! not so easy for others). So now let's say now that you get 50 drinks. Each bartender would get $1 per drink. You see how their tip just dropped a lot? But still, you probably wouldn't get just 50 drinks, because then why buy the package? You didn't come out ahead and you should have just bought the drinks individually. BUT!!! It gets worse. They tip share! Not only do they tip share with the people at their specific bar - let's say R Bar - but they also split with other people at other bars - let's say the On Air Bar. The bars are grouped, so stronger bars will help support the staff at weaker ones. So when you give the bartender $1, you're really giving that bartender $1 divided by the amount of people sharing that $1. In the case of the R Bar and On Air folks, that's split at least 6 ways. So instead of the traditional 15-20% tip a tipped crew member should receive, they're receiving something like 2-3%. I don't know about you, but I think the service I receive from the Royal Caribbean crew is worth far more than 2-3%.

So what we do is leave a buck per drink on top of the "included gratuity" - in some cases two bucks for more difficult to make drinks, like mojitos,etc. At the R Bar, the bar we spent the most amount of time at, we ended up giving them a lot more than that. But, we weren't just paying for someone to put liquid in a cup. They provided such a unique experience that we felt the need to say thank you in a big way. Remember, if you do not do the drink package, you still have an included gratuity. We always round that up as well, again because they earn more than they're being given.

One contrary point. If the bartender isn't happy to see you, seems to begrudgingly pour the liquid in the cup, and doesn't seem to care if you are there or not, feel free to stiff the guy! Well, okay, maybe not stiff. He still lives on tips. So maybe just a bad tip. ;) Just because I'm in the industry, doesn't mean I don't recognize that there are horrible servers and bartenders out there.

Speaking of servers, you should also give them something more. Calculate the amount of money you would have to spend for any meal based on the prices you'd pay on land, and then consider how much of a tip you'd give your land-based server - 15-20%. Then consider how much you're giving your sea-based server. Then, don't be a curmudgeon! If you can afford to spend thousands on a cruise, find a few bucks for the service you're receiving. If you can't afford it, maybe you can't afford the cruise in the first place.

Finally, don't forget to tip something anytime someone goes above and beyond for you. If you're stateroom attendant does his job and nothing more, then he is already being tipped. But, if the deck patrol guy does something WOWing for you, give him a few. He probably doesn't get that often - you'll make his day! If he WOWed you, WOW him!!! Instant Karma!!!

They changed the name of Downtown Disney? I was there in April..had a great time...didn't make it to that bar though. House of blues is where we spent the most time...had a great nite there. Will have to look for your bar the next time I am there!!

Only in Olando; it's still Downtown Disney in California.

P.S. Rumor has it that they're going to change the name of Hollywood Studios, too.

They changed the name of Downtown Disney? I was there in April..had a great time...didn't make it to that bar though. House of blues is where we spent the most time...had a great nite there. Will have to look for your bar the next time I am there!!

Only in Olando; it's still Downtown Disney in California.

P.S. Rumor has it that they're going to change the name of Hollywood Studios, too.

I believe Doc is correct about the name change, but I'm not the best cast member. I know so little about Disney. :(

It's a good thing you didn't make it to my bar in April, as we were closed! ;) We were still under construction. And then, shortly after, it was a chaotic scene. It's better you didn't get your first impression then. But I will be holding you to this: "Will have to look for your bar the next time I am there!!" :P

Doc, as a loyal cast member, I cannot confirm nor deny any name changes at MGM. ;) (Yes, I know.)

I believe Doc is correct about the name change, but I'm not the best cast member. I know so little about Disney. :(

It's a good thing you didn't make it to my bar in April, as we were closed! ;) We were still under construction. And then, shortly after, it was a chaotic scene. It's better you didn't get your first impression then. But I will be holding you to this: "Will have to look for your bar the next time I am there!!" :P

Doc, as a loyal cast member, I cannot confirm nor deny any name changes at MGM. ;) (Yes, I know.)

At MGM? They changed the name from MGM like 10 years ago. :)

Yes, Disney Springs is the new name of Downtown Disney in Orlando as it is undergoing a massive reimagination.

I'll be there the last week in March. :)

First, my disclaimer: I am a bartender at Dockside Margaritas in Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney) at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Is this you in the photo with the caption "Margaritas are shaken" on this page?

http://diningatdisney.com/review-dockside-margaritas/

Eventually I'll have to bring the kids to Disney again - I'll make an effort to look you up and have a margarita.

At MGM? They changed the name from MGM like 10 years ago. :)

Yes, Disney Springs is the new name of Downtown Disney in Orlando as it is undergoing a massive reimagination.

I'll be there the last week in March. :)

The "Yes, I know" comment was supposed to indicate that I knew it's not called MGM. Guess that failed to come through. I do still call it MGM though, and it will always be MGM to me. The world will always be flat. We will always be at the center of the universe. Matt is a seafaring demigod. And DocLC = Doctor Love Connection. That's just the way things are.

Believe me, I'm fully aware of the "massive reimagination," as I have to deal with the aggravating traffic and ever-changing shananigans five days a week! The sheep....uh....I mean...the people....wander about lost, trying to find their way, bumping into everything and everyone, as I'm rushing by them in my attempt to be on time. The tourist drivers wreak havoc on the roads, cutting me off, driving 3 miles an hours, and sometimes even driving against traffic! Idiots abound! And then there's all the construction! One day I can park here, the next day I can't. One day this walkway is open, the next it's not. And on and on.... I cannot wait for this shit to be done! (See what you've done!? You've brought my rage on to the page! I try never to talk about work at home. Work stays at work. Doc, you owe me a beer! ;))

Visit me at Dockside in March! :D

Is this you in the photo with the caption "Margaritas are shaken" on this page?

http://diningatdisney.com/review-dockside-margaritas/

Eventually I'll have to bring the kids to Disney again - I'll make an effort to look you up and have a margarita.

Nope, that's Luis Patino, otherwise known as El Diablo Sabio de Peru! :ph34r:

Looking forward to meeting you, señor! B)