Anthem NE/Canada 10/10/19

DVa54

My wife and I will be traveling on Anthem of the Seas to new England & Canada on Oct. 10, 2019.  message back if you are going at the saem tome OR if you have been on this particular 9 day cruise before.

I am particularly curious as to whether or not there is any time while on the ship you are able to get a signal on your phones. I have unlimited data on my plan and am hoping to upload images & vids from time to time on the cruise and prefer not to pay the additional charge for Voom.

I am also looking for possible excursions NOT sponsored by RC at the various ports.

Peace,  Dan

My family did this cruise in 2017.  We didn't do any RC sponsored tours in any of the ports.  We had Voom included with our room, but we were able to get cell service in the ports with Sprint's free North America roaming.

We used https://www.atyourservicetours.net/ in Bar Harbor and did a private customized tour.  It was very enjoyable and we were able to get up Cadillac Mountain ahead of the crowds.  We were able to go at our own pace and do as much or as little as we wanted.  They took us to a more remote location for a fantastic lobster lunch that wasn't as crowded as the places right within the port area.

In Saint John we rented a car for the day.  There is a car rental agency a block away from the cruise terminal.  We reserved the car in advance and were able to drop the keys off after the location closed before we got back onto the ship.  It's very easy to drive and get around New Brunswick and we had GPS service through our cell phone's plan.

We did a food tour in Portland through https://www.mainefoodietours.com/portland/foodie-tours/.  It was so-so..a good way to do a little bit of walking around the area and sample some local items.

In Halifax we did another private tour.  The weather was rainy that day, so it wasn't as great as it could be.  I enjoyed the Halifax port area as it had a few large farmers market style shopping areas immediately at the pier.  There's also a brewery at the pier.

Boston is very easy to do on your own.  You can easily get a taxi, Uber or Lyft from the port to anywhere your want in Boston.  We went over to the USS Constitution museum and walked some of the Freedom Trail..very easy to do that..just follow the line on the ground!

• 2 months later...

On 5/15/2019 at 11:43 AM, DVa54 said:

My wife and I will be traveling on Anthem of the Seas to new England & Canada on Oct. 10, 2019.  message back if you are going at the saem tome OR if you have been on this particular 9 day cruise before.

I am particularly curious as to whether or not there is any time while on the ship you are able to get a signal on your phones. I have unlimited data on my plan and am hoping to upload images & vids from time to time on the cruise and prefer not to pay the additional charge for Voom.

I am also looking for possible excursions NOT sponsored by RC at the various ports.

Peace,  Dan

Hi Dan,

I booked the OCT 24th version of your cruise: 9N Anthem to NE/Canada.  You shouldn't have any problem getting signal in ports.  I did the NCL Dawn back-to-back last year from Boston to Quebec City to Boston.  We stopped at most of the same ports.  I am on Cricket, which uses AT&T equipment and had no problems.  Cricket has a Canada option which I enabled last year and it worked fine too.  Not sure if I will bother with that this year with only 3 stops in Canada.  Did you find any excursion info?  I need to start looking.  I also need to make final payment as it is now due.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2019 at 11:43 AM, DVa54 said:

Peace,  Dan

Dan. my husband and I and my sister and brother in law will also be on this sailing. This is my first time on anthem, but I have done this itinerary quite a few times.  You will be able to use your cellphone data when the ship is in port, but not on sea days

• 3 weeks later...