Favorite Mediterranean Itineraries or Ports?

Hi folks, we're considering a European cruise next summer in the 6-8 day range, and it looks like the main choices are either Greek Isles or Western Mediterranean, with stops in France, Spain, and Italy. Would love to hear if anyone has highlights from either of these itineraries, favorite ports or excursions, or strong preferences or insight into departure ports? We'd be traveling with an 8 year old, so if you've done especially kid friendly stops there, would be interested in hearing those too. Also considering ease of access from the States, but they all seem pretty similar there.

Ships in the mix are Rhapsody, Explorer (should be Amped by then, if I'm reading correctly), and Allure. Home ports are Barcelona, Rome, and Venice.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done 2 Western Med cruises (albeit not on RC) and been on the Rhapsody out of Venice for the Greek Isles. We've enjoyed all of the cruises and most of the ports we've been to.

Barcelona and Venice are easier (and cheaper) to get from airport to port and vice versa than Rome (Civitavecchia). All of the ports are well organized, though. Sailing out of Venice is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Rhapsody is an older ship, but the crew is fantastic, my 3 youngest girls (7, 5, and 3 at the time) loved Adventure Ocean, and we still found plenty to do.

It depends on what you want to do/see. The Greek Isles cruise lends itself to be a little more laid back, while a Western Med cruise would be go-go-go to see everything. Italian ports tend to be at least an hour from where you want to go (Rome, Florence, Amalfi coast, etc). 

Here's a live blog from my Rhapsody cruise in November: