Prepaid Gratuities

Howdy!  If you haven't prepaid them before boarding, you'll see a daily charge for each cruiser on your folio (visible on the tv).  If you've supplied them with a credit card, the charges (including daily gratuities) will all go through on disembarkation day. 

Now... there may be a certain threshold where they charge your card at some point after you've accumulated so many charges, but I"m not sure of what that is if there is such a threshold... maybe others can answer.

You can pre-pay gratuities before the cruise and then pay it all up front, or you can have them automatically applied each evening of your sailing.

If you elect for the second option, each night of the cruise there will be a charge for each guest of the daily gratuity amount. At the end of the cruise, all charges to your SeaPass account are charged to whichever form of payment you selected when you checked-in for your cruise (almost always a credit card).

20 minutes ago, spursfreak21 said:

How would I go about prepaying? Would this be done via the online check in page? Or the cruise planner?

I've only seen this as an option to select when booking the cruise.  If you booked through a travel agent, give them a call.  Otherwise, call Royal's customer service line, they should be able to accept prepayment for the gratuities.

Prepayment can be done up to 3 days before sail date, or at least that is what my travel agent told me my last two cruises. I'm in the habit now of paying off the cruise, finalizing any drink or internet package purchases after that if a good sale hasn't come along yet, and then in the final 30 days pre-paying the gratuities.

Nice thing about pre-paying is that if the gratuity rate rises, you're grandfathered at the old rate. When they raised the rate last year, they even grandfathered in passengers who hadn't yet pre-paid but were booked prior to a specified cutoff date and still pre-paid before they boarded.