Question for Solo Cruisers Re:Choosing Excursions

wmacooper

Hello everyone,  I will be going on Mariner in November 2019.  First time on RCCL, first time going solo.

My question is really for those who have cruised solo before.  Did you feel limited in terms of your excursion options in general, or did it depend on the stop?

For my cruise, Cococay is taken care of, but Nassau is the only stop where I'd have to do an excursion.  My thought is that any excursion that involves being in the water or underwater is out of the question, such as Snuba, the BOSS or SUBs (underwater scooters).  The tour provider wants to sell you these very expensive photo packages, and I don’t want to spend that kind of money.  Plus, you have to operate in a “buddy” system for these types of excursions, and since I won’t know anybody else there going in, that's not going to work! 
As for other options, I wouldn’t want to do the adrenaline-inducing excursions because I’m not trying to get maimed or killed during my vacation. 

Thanks in advance for any feedback or suggestions.

William 

While I haven't sailed solo my traveling companions are often older and wouldn't be interested in the same excursions I would.  I never felt limited though, but I guess I wasn't looking at the same level of excursions that did require a buddy.  If they allow you to book the excursion as one person you would likely be put with a "buddy" if needed when you got to the excursion or the tour operator may be your buddy.  Not everyone will be with an even numbered party..I don't think you should be limited if there's something you really want to do.

Which excursions you find to be of interest is going to depend on the person. I think one advantage of Royal Caribbean's group excursions is lots of people are travelling together on the excursion, so there's more of a communal feeling and for someone travelling alone, that may be an advantage.

Ultimately, it comes down to the exact excursion and port.  In your situation, do not overlook walking tours or simply getting off the ship and walking around at your leisure.

I often take excursions that differ from what others in my party are doing. Being solo doesn't mean you have to be limited in your selection. On some of the excursions, I have been paired up with another individual who wasn't part of a pair and on others I have been the odd man out - meaning I got to solo kayak, for example.

If you're interested in a particular activity, go for it and enjoy.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:49 AM, tiny260 said:

My Wife and I cruise together, but any excursion having to do with going underwater is not her deal, so I usually book these excursions myself and I have had no issues.

Interesting.  Glad to hear that you found a way for each of you to do what you want.

On 5/14/2019 at 9:49 AM, tiny260 said:

My Wife and I cruise together, but any excursion having to do with going underwater is not her deal, so I usually book these excursions myself and I have had no issues.

LOL My wife and I just had this same conversation as I would love to do some diving and its a no for her.  Haven't figured out what she is going to do yet on that day.

36 minutes ago, Yo2slick said:

LOL My wife and I just had this same conversation as I would love to do some diving and its a no for her.  Haven't figured out what she is going to do yet on that day.

If the tour operator doesn't care she comes with me on some, otherwise she stays on the ships and relaxes, probably sleeping most of the time if I know her.

Sometimes I have scheduled her basically a "day of beauty" in the spa, message, facial, nails etc..

7 hours ago, monctonguy said:

Don't book an excursion and do your own thing in Nassau...simple and easy and fun...

Or you may meet up with some ppl on the curse and decide to do something with them excursion wise when in Nassau.

I appreciate your suggestion.  My concern is not wanting to encounter the highly demanding locals trying to sell me stuff, along with those who are trying to sell illegal substances.  How badly were you harassed?

I book scuba diving excursions solo.  You can choose whatever excursion you want.  If a partner is required, they will match you with one or the excursion leader will partner with you.  Don't sweat it, book it.

Photo packages?  I never buy one.  They are not required or mandatory.  

I would find an excursion that you want and just book it.  It's your money.  

@wmacooper was in Nassau last summer, didn't encounter a whole lot of local trying to sell me stuff until I walked into the Straw Market - and that was expected. I'm from NY, I know how to ignore people easily. We were not harassed by any means and not approached once for illegal stuff. If you mean drugs, I didn't see/smell it. I'm not saying it's not there but none of us encountered it and we were a pretty big group. We also were only in the main streets.

General rule of thumb for anywhere in the world, don't go down alleyways and streets that look sketchy if you're concerned about any of this stuff.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, wmacooper said:

I appreciate your suggestion.  My concern is not wanting to encounter the highly demanding locals trying to sell me stuff, along with those who are trying to sell illegal substances.  How badly were you harassed?

Just getting out past the fence I had 1 or 2 on average..once past there, its no different than anywhere else in my experience.

Certainly not annoying enough for me to change plans or pay $$ to do an excursion simply as a result of that.