Not Just RC Screwing with Travel Plans This Weekend

Grrr! Just had a call from my TA to advise that BA have cancelled the direct flight route from London to Fort Lauderdale for my cruise in December. 

My options now are:

1) Fly indirect via Chicago for no extra cost but taking an extra 2+ hours flight time +whatever the layover time is

2) Fly indirect via Houston for an extra £50pp but taking an extra 3+ hours flight time + whatever the layover time is 

3) Fly direct to Miami for an extra £400pp!

???

I can't even make a decision on which option to go for as my husband (aka The Cruise Fare Payer) is away for the weekend. 

I know this is not directly related to RC but I needed to vent and thought you guys would understand ?

Anyway, I'm off to pursue my second love by going to a food festival now so that should cheer me up. Either that or I'll comfort eat and undo the progress I've made on my 'lose weight before the cruise so you can put in back on during the cruise' diet plan...

Also, the flight times mean we'll now not get to whichever Florida airport until 20:30 at the earliest, but 22:39 at the latest - without collecting baggage/clearing customs/delays 

Compared to our original booking which would've had me sipping cocktails in South Beach by sundown ???

On the plus side, the later flights mean we'll be able to get the bus to the airport instead of driving - no an issue on the way there but driving 2.5hrs from London to Coventry after a night flight from the US is NOT fun. So there is that I suppose... I'm trying to look on the bright side.

4 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

Either that or I'll comfort eat and undo the progress I've made on my 'lose weight before the cruise so you can put in back on during the cruise' diet plan...

I'm trying to look on the bright side.

Both are good plans!?

My options now are:

1) Fly indirect via Chicago for no extra cost but taking an extra 2+ hours flight time +whatever the layover time is

2) Fly indirect via Houston for an extra £50pp but taking an extra 3+ hours flight time + whatever the layover time is 

3) Fly direct to Miami for an extra £400pp!

I don't have very extensive experience with flying as my route is always DTW to Florida usually but, I would say not to Option 1 because a layover in Chicago in December is always risky due to weather.  What if there was some sort of delay in Chicago due to a snow storm?

Not sure about Houston as I know nothing about that airport. But again, layovers make me nervous, especially in the winter.

I would still likely do the direct route...for my own peace of mind...

I would avoid Chicago in December.  The best of these bad options, for me, would be the one that takes you directly to Miami but it's a bitter pill at an additional $1000 !  I guess the only reasonable option is #2 through Houston.  Still such a gut shot when compared to your great original flight !  Blast BA !

38 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I would say not to Option 1 because a layover in Chicago in December is always risky due to weather.  What if there was some sort of delay in Chicago due to a snow storm?

Not sure about Houston as I know nothing about that airport. But again, layovers make me nervous, especially in the winter.

I would still likely do the direct route...for my own peace of mind...

37 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would avoid Chicago in December.  

Thanks for the input - I'd not even thought about the weather factor (although we are scheduled to arrive 3 days before the cruise)

This will come in very useful when trying to convince my husband to pay for the direct option ?

1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

Thanks for the input - I'd not even thought about the weather factor (although we are scheduled to arrive 3 days before the cruise)

@Lovetocruise2002 and @WAAAYTOOO give sound advice.  I avoid transferring in Chicago at any time of the year if I can possibly avoid it.  I'd pick Option #2 as the best of the worst.  I'm not as familiar with that airport but Chicago would be a no-go for me.   

Personally save the money and AVOID Houston.  Go thru Chicago. I grew up there and worked at the airport.  Bad weather can screw up plane travel in numerous airports.  Or do as Jason L said stay over an extra day.  It`s a crap shoot.  Your flight could get cancelled or rerouted while you are still in London.   

During the winter Huston should be safer than Chicago , although there could be issue there also. 

There is one Advantage for Chicago , its American Arline hub (which I guess going to be your connection flight as BA and AA are on the same alliance , Oneworld) , which mean if something happens to your flight it will be much easier for them to book you on another flight.

As people wrote here , try to see if a direct flight to Miami is cheaper a day before or a day after as it will be the safest option.