Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I don’t have a great deal of time to spend online with a heavy work load and family obligations, but I’ve been recently trying to sign onto Periscope to see feeds from other RCL blog users and management as it seemed to be something others here enjoyed 😊 But tonight I took the time to sign on to several #rcperiscopers with the last feed showing a woman singing the song “Fancy” (Karaoke?). I had signed on to several others tonight and there was clearly a jovial and party mood across all of them. So in that same spirit, when I heard the song Fancy being sung, I said “I guess there is a hooker theme tonight 😂” (actually the song was about a child hooker specifically, but I didn’t say that), and then immediately typed on another line “the song not the singer” (just in case there was a human out there who had no idea what the song’s theme was despite it having been a 90’s mega hit). But, almost immediately I was blocked by a chat moderator (the text said for my comment about hookers. Say what?!  This person didn’t know the song, didn’t listen to what she was singing, assumed I was callling someone on the feed a hooker, or what exactly?? Whatever mistake they made, I paid for it. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a big deal to the readers of this post,  it it seemed an unfair slap. The thing is I know whose feed it was, I just wish someone would clue me in about who the moderator was that found me someone obscene (although quite sober).

In my work I deal with all kinds of people and so I don’t get truly mad often, but I am pretty ticked off right now. Principle kind of thing. And I have to say, if it matters, that if people are taking the time to check out your feed or one you are moderating (especially if the person’s screen name seems pretty familiar, as it is virtually the same as you have seen on these message boards for a while now), it is just fair to ask that you take a second or two to consider the situation before taking the step to block a user to give at least a tiny concern for whether it is appropriate.  After all, I can’t imagine there are hoards of roaming teen boys on cruise-resulted scopes poised to make obscene comments. What do you lose by considering it for s second more?  I think that is especially important because after someone is blocked they have no way to even defend themselves. People can joke aorund with one another, say or do practically anything on live feed, and my comment was someone so poisonous that I had to be cut off at the risk of offending again?  

I am just not quite sure exactly why I got the pointed end of someone’s delicate sensitivity meter tonight, but it definitely makes it far less likely that I will bother checking out a periscope from anyone else (although I am not delusional enough to think that someone will care about that). I was fairly new to periscope and it has been clear there was a group of people who know each other very well and perhaps the issue is that it’s s private club whose membership doesn’t want me around. But whether I bother to sign on again or not, it would be great if maybe people took a breath or two before blocking someone without real cause.

For what it’s worth.

Edited by 2Beeze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it was done automatically?  I was once blocked when I made a comment about putting a bra on the front of the ship to catch love bugs.  It happened almost immediately, so I think it got sent to people to judge if I should be flagged for abuse and someone maybe clicked Yes just to make that pop up go away?  Who knows..after my 1 minute of silence I just had to exit and go back in and I was able to make sarcastic comments again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

Maybe it was done automatically?  I was once blocked when I made a comment about putting a bra on the front of the ship to catch love bugs.  It happened almost immediately, so I think it got sent to people to judge if I should be flagged for abuse and someone maybe clicked Yes just to make that pop up go away?  Who knows..after my 1 minute of silence I just had to exit and go back in and I was able to make sarcastic comments again.

Thank you Ashley, I appreciate your comment very much!  

And I wish that your hypothesis had been the case, but I don’t believe it was since: 1. I wasn’t able to return as you were and 2. It said quite clearly that a chat moderator had done the blocking and it was not done immediately as with automatic blocks as I had time to add a second comment with at least one other between my two.  Truthfully,  It was a bit hard to stomach that my innocent comment about the song was considered obscene when I was tuned into feed of a bar on a ship full of seriously drunk adults stacking their shot glasses. It seemed ironic that my small and unremarkable comment was what was found to be unseemingly. I have tried to be supportive here, and recently made that support more official, so it did not seem to be unreasonable to hope that someone that was part of the feed, or the one moderating it, would address what happened (or at least not ignore it). Again, just my thoughts 😊

Thanks again 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 5/13/2019 at 7:30 PM, 2Beeze said:

And I wish that your hypothesis had been the case, but I don’t believe it was since: 2. It said quite clearly that a chat moderator had done the blocking and it was not done immediately as with automatic blocks as I had time to add a second comment with at least one other between my two.

 

I am just not quite sure exactly why I got the pointed end of someone’s delicate sensitivity meter tonight, but it definitely makes it far less likely that I will bother checking out a periscope from anyone else (although I am not delusional enough to think that someone will care about that). I was fairly new to periscope and it has been clear there was a group of people who know each other very well and perhaps the issue is that it’s s private club whose membership doesn’t want me around. But whether I bother to sign on again or not, it would be great if maybe people took a breath or two before blocking someone without real cause.

There is a big of a lag between you typing and people seeing comments.  So you may have time to post multiple comments before your first one pops up on anyone's screens.  It's not exactly "real time".  A good example is when Matt does trivia.  You may think you commented with the answer first, but the order Matt sees them is how he chooses the winner.  It can take a few seconds to show up anywhere, so even if you send the answer it may take 15-20 seconds before it pops up on Matt's screen, even though you see right away.

Only the broadcaster can block.  The moderators can "mute" a person from commenting but not block them.  When the broadcast is done, the broadcaster can view a list of the comments that were muted and make the decision on whether or not to block that person.

Periscope has had a HUGE problem with trolls and spambots.  Huge.  The trolls are ridiculous some evenings.  If you watch any of @Matt's scopes, you will see them. 

I am a moderator for many people, and am happy to have moderators on my own scopes.   They are a great help when the trolls arrive.  It's easy to accidentally mute someone when comments are going by quickly, but I'm not saying that's what happened here.  When more than one moderator is in a broadcast, and someone gets muted that should not have been, they can unmute them.  I personally have muted someone who I have met & even sailed with, when she made a troll-like comment.  I muted her before I read the name.  Luckily someone else realized I had done it an unmuted her, and my punishment was to deal with the teasing for a couple weeks.  Bottom line is, if you make a comment that makes us think you are a troll, there is a good chance you will get muted. 

I'm not sure which scope you are talking about; there are some scopers that I don't always enjoy all their scopes so I don't watch every single one.  But in fairness to the moderator, not everyone in the RCPeriscoper group frequents these message boards, or knows the poster nicknames well enough to recognize people.  Some of the scopers have hundreds of followers (some even thousands) and can't possibly recognize all the names.  Each broadcaster chooses who they want to moderate, and the people they choose may be a family member and not even a RCBlog reader.  So to say the moderator should've recognized your screen name really isn't fair.  My husband is one of my moderators and he's never stepped foot on a message board.  Ever. On any site. I barely even got him on FB.  

Since I have no idea whose scope it was so I can't say if it was me.  But if it was, sorry, and if not, I'll apologize for that moderator who apparently isn't familiar enough with 90s music to know the song was about a hooker.  (I'm sure I would've had no idea myself, I rarely listen to the words of songs but just enjoy the tunes.)

I wouldn't let this deter you from checking out any of our other scopes.  We are a fun group of 2900+ people who love to cruise.  Yes, many of us know each other and have cruised together multiple times, so there are a lot of inside jokes and comments, and I'm sure more people don't understand them than actually do.  But it is FAR from a private club and I'm sure I can speak for @CruisingKat(Kathy) in saying that is not what we are about at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2019 at 12:37 AM, 2Beeze said:

I don’t have a great deal of time to spend online with a heavy work load and family obligations, but I’ve been recently trying to sign onto Periscope to see feeds from other RCL blog users and management as it seemed to be something others here enjoyed 😊 But tonight I took the time to sign on to several #rcperiscopers with the last feed showing a woman singing the song “Fancy” (Karaoke?). I had signed on to several others tonight and there was clearly a jovial and party mood across all of them. So in that same spirit, when I heard the song Fancy being sung, I said “I guess there is a hooker theme tonight 😂” (actually the song was about a child hooker specifically, but I didn’t say that), and then immediately typed on another line “the song not the singer” (just in case there was a human out there who had no idea what the song’s theme was despite it having been a 90’s mega hit). But, almost immediately I was blocked by a chat moderator (the text said for my comment about hookers. Say what?!  This person didn’t know the song, didn’t listen to what she was singing, assumed I was callling someone on the feed a hooker, or what exactly?? Whatever mistake they made, I paid for it. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a big deal to the readers of this post,  it it seemed an unfair slap. The thing is I know whose feed it was, I just wish someone would clue me in about who the moderator was that found me someone obscene (although quite sober).

In my work I deal with all kinds of people and so I don’t get truly mad often, but I am pretty ticked off right now. Principle kind of thing. And I have to say, if it matters, that if people are taking the time to check out your feed or one you are moderating (especially if the person’s screen name seems pretty familiar, as it is virtually the same as you have seen on these message boards for a while now), it is just fair to ask that you take a second or two to consider the situation before taking the step to block a user to give at least a tiny concern for whether it is appropriate.  After all, I can’t imagine there are hoards of roaming teen boys on cruise-resulted scopes poised to make obscene comments. What do you lose by considering it for s second more?  I think that is especially important because after someone is blocked they have no way to even defend themselves. People can joke aorund with one another, say or do practically anything on live feed, and my comment was someone so poisonous that I had to be cut off at the risk of offending again?  

I am just not quite sure exactly why I got the pointed end of someone’s delicate sensitivity meter tonight, but it definitely makes it far less likely that I will bother checking out a periscope from anyone else (although I am not delusional enough to think that someone will care about that). I was fairly new to periscope and it has been clear there was a group of people who know each other very well and perhaps the issue is that it’s s private club whose membership doesn’t want me around. But whether I bother to sign on again or not, it would be great if maybe people took a breath or two before blocking someone without real cause.

For what it’s worth.

 

On 5/11/2019 at 12:37 AM, 2Beeze said:

I don’t have a great deal of time to spend online with a heavy work load and family obligations, but I’ve been recently trying to sign onto Periscope to see feeds from other RCL blog users and management as it seemed to be something others here enjoyed 😊 But tonight I took the time to sign on to several #rcperiscopers with the last feed showing a woman singing the song “Fancy” (Karaoke?). I had signed on to several others tonight and there was clearly a jovial and party mood across all of them. So in that same spirit, when I heard the song Fancy being sung, I said “I guess there is a hooker theme tonight 😂” (actually the song was about a child hooker specifically, but I didn’t say that), and then immediately typed on another line “the song not the singer” (just in case there was a human out there who had no idea what the song’s theme was despite it having been a 90’s mega hit). But, almost immediately I was blocked by a chat moderator (the text said for my comment about hookers. Say what?!  This person didn’t know the song, didn’t listen to what she was singing, assumed I was callling someone on the feed a hooker, or what exactly?? Whatever mistake they made, I paid for it. Maybe it doesn’t seem like a big deal to the readers of this post,  it it seemed an unfair slap. The thing is I know whose feed it was, I just wish someone would clue me in about who the moderator was that found me someone obscene (although quite sober).

In my work I deal with all kinds of people and so I don’t get truly mad often, but I am pretty ticked off right now. Principle kind of thing. And I have to say, if it matters, that if people are taking the time to check out your feed or one you are moderating (especially if the person’s screen name seems pretty familiar, as it is virtually the same as you have seen on these message boards for a while now), it is just fair to ask that you take a second or two to consider the situation before taking the step to block a user to give at least a tiny concern for whether it is appropriate.  After all, I can’t imagine there are hoards of roaming teen boys on cruise-resulted scopes poised to make obscene comments. What do you lose by considering it for s second more?  I think that is especially important because after someone is blocked they have no way to even defend themselves. People can joke aorund with one another, say or do practically anything on live feed, and my comment was someone so poisonous that I had to be cut off at the risk of offending again?  

I am just not quite sure exactly why I got the pointed end of someone’s delicate sensitivity meter tonight, but it definitely makes it far less likely that I will bother checking out a periscope from anyone else (although I am not delusional enough to think that someone will care about that). I was fairly new to periscope and it has been clear there was a group of people who know each other very well and perhaps the issue is that it’s s private club whose membership doesn’t want me around. But whether I bother to sign on again or not, it would be great if maybe people took a breath or two before blocking someone without real cause.

For what it’s worth.

Hello 2Beeze

I read all of the posts above, and I pretty much can concur with what KathyC  stated in her post. I’m sorry that happened to you,  all I can say, is what Kathy already stated, we do have a problem with Inappropriate trolls, some of us are very quick to block, when we see a certain words mentioned.

   I know speaking for myself, I’ve had a few occasions where I’ve accidentally blocked someone, and then had to go unblock them. 

I’m not sure if you are also a member of our Royal Caribbean Periscopers group on Facebook?, but I can tell you, as the creator of that group, it is definitely not a selective group, I welcome all people, of all walks of life, with open arms, as well as my members in my RC Periscopers Community.

I started here with Matt on Royal Caribbean blog, with my Love for Promoting Cruise Periscopers, posting my monthly Periscope list, and so we share many of the many of wonderful loving community members. 

I  really hope you reconsider your decision, and don’t give up with having the enjoyment of watching people’s cruise periscopes, it definitely helps while you’re landlocked and waiting for your next cruise, and speaking for this community, and my community, I am so thankful for both, they are amazing communities, with amazing people in them.

CruisingKat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KathyC said:

But in fairness to the moderator, not everyone in the RCPeriscoper group frequents these message boards, or knows the poster nicknames well enough to recognize people.  Some of the scopers have hundreds of followers (some even thousands) and can't possibly recognize all the names.  Each broadcaster chooses who they want to moderate, and the people they choose may be a family member and not even a RCBlog reader.  So to say the moderator should've recognized your screen name really isn't fair.  My husband is one of my moderators and he's never stepped foot on a message board.  Ever. On any site. I barely even got him on FB.  

 

^^^This.  +1.  Well explained @KathyC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 9:20 PM, CruisingKat(Kathy) said:

 

Hello 2Beeze

I read all of the posts above, and I pretty much can concur with what KathyC  stated in her post. I’m sorry that happened to you,  all I can say, is what Kathy already stated, we do have a problem with Inappropriate trolls, some of us are very quick to block, when we see a certain words mentioned.

   I know speaking for myself, I’ve had a few occasions where I’ve accidentally blocked someone, and then had to go unblock them. 

I’m not sure if you are also a member of our Royal Caribbean Periscopers group on Facebook?, but I can tell you, as the creator of that group, it is definitely not a selective group, I welcome all people, of all walks of life, with open arms, as well as my members in my RC Periscopers Community.

I started here with Matt on Royal Caribbean blog, with my Love for Promoting Cruise Periscopers, posting my monthly Periscope list, and so we share many of the many of wonderful loving community members. 

I  really hope you reconsider your decision, and don’t give up with having the enjoyment of watching people’s cruise periscopes, it definitely helps while you’re landlocked and waiting for your next cruise, and speaking for this community, and my community, I am so thankful for both, they are amazing communities, with amazing people in them.

CruisingKat

 

@Lovetocruise2002   

I posted to say there were feeling involved sometimes and to please take care rather than just shooting first and asking questions later. It makes sense for anyone chosen as s moderator to try to take some care with the responsibility even if they don’t recognize the name. I thought my request was a fair one 😊  I realize that it can very a very difficult place to get support when you aren’t someone who has been here for a very long time and that people want to provide a defense. Maybe it was in the end ridiculous for me to ask for some support, but I took my chances.  Truthfully, I almost didn’t post it believing that I would be scolded for even saying anything.  But I had only 2 days set up monthly payments in support of the blog and this came right on the heels of that by the individuals that I offered support to... I think it’s fairly easy to see why I would feel irritation.  

And no, I have no personal profile on FB, given what I do for a living it is actually recommended that we not by our professional guidelines to avoid the blurring of personal and professional lines (beyond the fact I have long hours at work and little time for browsing most social media). 

Because it was mentioned that it was possibly some auto block, I went to check - apparently the notes for an auto block are different from an individual block and this was by an individual. I took a screen shot but won’t post it here in case someone might feel my purpose was to out or shame someone when that is not my purpose.

Anyway Kat, I do appreciate that you took the time to care about the issue, I truly do 😊 happy sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...