Question for you frequent flyers....

We by no means are frequent flyers but we are going to be taking a couple of lengthy flights in the coming months. I know that Delta and United stipulate carry-on bag size limits of 22" x 14" x 9" or not more than 45 linear inches.  I have a Samsonite bag that I want to carry-on but my measuring tape says it is 23" x 14.5" x 8" or 45.5 linear inches. Trying to head off difficulties...will this bag pass the test? How strict are they. I know they have a test hole they use....do they really try to make it go through that hole (I could!) or not?

You'll probably be okay but if they say something you are technically non-compliant.  Worst case is they gate check it for free.  

Depending on the aircraft it may have to go in the overhead lengthwise rather than wheels in first.  That is less efficient and consumes the space of two carry on bags.

2 hours ago, KristiZ said:

Is it hard or soft sided? If hard, it won't fit so don't try. If soft, it *might* be ok. The sticking point will be the 23" side, and it will depend on the aircraft or at least how recently the cabin has been updated.

It's soft sided (kinda sorta), definitely not the new kind of hard plastic.

9 hours ago, Andrew72681 said:

Like twangster said you’ll probably be ok. Those Delta rules are written for the time you end up on one of the MD-88s and get stuck having to put the bag on the short side of the plane (the overheads on the two seat side aren’t as long)

The four flights I will be on (Delta) involve Airbus 321s, MD-90 and MD-88.

You will probable be ok. If you are flying overseas, those Delta and Untied flights may actually foreign carriers who may or may not be strict. Experinced an airline in Asia that was extremely strict, 7kg for carry on and  weighed and measured everyones bag