Surprising My Family

Kind of a weird question but here goes.  My family(Wife and two kids 14 and 12) and I vacation about 3 times a year.  Every vacation I have some sort of surprise planned like a new activity(Indoor Sky Diving) or surprise traveler(Cousins showed up on trip to Disney).  They have gotten used to their being a surprise but never know what it might be.  We have an upcoming cruise booked at the end of the summer that we are all very excited about.  When I initially booked I booked two connecting inside staterooms but a few weeks later I found the price dropped and I booked two Balcony state rooms for a total of $400 more for the week.  I immediately booked it but didn't tell anyone.  As a family we have been on around 5 cruises and have never had anything but inside staterooms. Now onto the question.   I want to keep this a surprise to all of them right up until they open the door to the room.  My biggest worry is at check in.  During the check in process does the check in agent mention the type of room you are in?  It would be easier if I told my wife before hand but I wanted it to be a surprise for her too.  Any suggestions on how I can keep this secret until we enter the room?

I did this exact thing for our Indy NYE cruise.  We had one cabin booked and I upgraded without telling Hubby or the kids.  It was fun watching them as we went to the Deck that they were not expecting and then watching them open the door.  The agent at check in won't say the cabin type.  You can keep your surprise a secret by:

- You complete the online check in.  It will show up in your cruise docs.

- Keep your wife and kids away from the luggage tags.  It will show your cabin number and deck.  If you wife is observant, she might notice the change in cabin number.  Lucky for me, Hubby and the kids were not lol.

- Does your ship have the Royal app?  Because the cabin type will also show on that.  And does your wife have access to the reservation or does she check on it etc.?  Because if yes, she might come across that info.  If not, then all should be good.

2 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We had one cabin booked and I upgraded without telling Hubby or the kids.

Didn’t you say at some point that hubby pays the credit card bills? That takes male lack of observational skills to a whole new level if he didn’t start wondering where those big new Royal Caribbean charges came from! ??

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I did this exact thing for our Indy NYE cruise.  We had one cabin booked and I upgraded without telling Hubby or the kids.  It was fun watching them as we went to the Deck that they were not expecting and then watching them open the door.  The agent at check in won't say the cabin type.  You can keep your surprise a secret by:

- Keep your wife and kids away from the luggage tags.  It will show your cabin number and deck.  If you wife is observant, she might notice the change in cabin number.  Lucky for me, Hubby and the kids were not lol.

- Does your ship have the Royal app?  Because the cabin type will also show on that.  And does your wife have access to the reservation or does she check on it etc.?  Because if yes, she might come across that info.  If not, then all should be good.

I think only my 14 year old son will even notice the change in decks.  We started on 10 and now are on 6.  Ill definitely be doing the online check in and my wife never checks it.  I doubt they will notice the luggage tags either.  I didnt think about the royal App, we are on Liberty.  Great suggestion.  I wont allow my son to link the reservation on it.  Worst part is its killing me not to tell anyone.  I still have over 100 days till sailing :) 

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@bmatrose Take note that @Lovetocruise2002 is usually right about EVERYTHING..If I was you, I'd find a different surprise---this seems like a lot of work! ?

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Didn’t you say at some point that hubby pays the credit card bills? That takes male lack of observational skills to a whole new level if he didn’t start wondering where those big new Royal Caribbean charges came from! ??

Funny story to go with that actually.  Hubby does pay the vacation bill.  He noticed the charge and asked, "Did you book another cruise or something?".  My answer, "Something like that."  And that was the end to the conversation. ? He can't keep up with me between the bookings, cruise planner purchases, and then the cancellations and re-pricing on purchases and reservations!  There's always some kind of charge from Royal Caribbean!