New Year's Cruise Sailing 2019

Hello Cruise people,

My wife and I  and two sons age 17,  and 20 are new to cruising and are sailing on December 29, 2019, on the Allure 7 Night  Holiday (New Year) cruise in the Western Caribbean. We are trying to plan for the cruise and we have some questions.  We have not been able to find a Cruise Compass for a similar cruise over New Year's on the Allure.

1. Can we use a Cruise Compass from another Oasis Class Ship that was in the Western Caribbean over New Years as a general guide? 

2. We want to book specialty dining, but don't want to do so on formal night. According to RC website, there are usually 2 formal nights on Allure in the Western Caribbean; on Day 2 and Day 5.   New Year's Eve is night 3 on our sailing.  Do you think that they will add a 3rd formal night, or will they simply use NYE as one of the 2 formal nights?   

3.  What festivities will be available to us as a family, given that the 17-year-old won't be able to go to the 18-21 clubs and the 20-year-old won't be able to go to the teen clubs?  Are most of the New Year's activities open to all ages?

4. What tips would you give to New Year's cruisers, like things not to be missed and/or special events that we should not miss.

We would appreciate any and all insight and experiences you can share.   Thanks!

I can only respond to your question number 3.  There is no club for 18-21 year olds.  There are informal gatherings on some ships, but not all.  Basically they walk up to the designated area at the designated time, and it's up to them to make friends.  There is no crew member that organizes or facilitates any interaction.

All activities are open to families with the exception of the evening night club.  Some ships you must be 21 to enter after, say 10pm, and others you need to be 18.  Both can go to adult comedy, assuming your 17 yr old is "mature" enough.  LOL 

As for number 1, I think that is a safe assumption.  

Yes, you can use the cruise compass as a general guide.

They will likely move one formal night to NYE. That is what happened last year for us. There is also a special menu that night. 

There will be special NYE activities planned by the cruise director staff. For a rough idea, check out my Independence blog from December 2018 (link in signature below). I have a copies of the activities from our sailing. Some were family activities, some not.

Our favourite was the balloon drop at midnight. It was set up on the promenade, very “Times Square” feel to it. Allure also did this last year as the cruise director at the time posted their NYE celebrations on FB. I would say for sure don’t miss that event.

6 hours ago, foxrunner said:

We want to book specialty dining, but don't want to do so on formal night. According to RC website, there are usually 2 formal nights on Allure in the Western Caribbean; on Day 2 and Day 5.   New Year's Eve is night 3 on our sailing.  Do you think that they will add a 3rd formal night, or will they simply use NYE as one of the 2 formal nights?   

Anyone know if formal night is likely to change on our Christmas sailing on Allure? 

Our itinerary is:

Day 1 - Embarkation

Day 2 - Sea Day

Day 3 - Sea Day

Day 4 - St Maarten (Christmas Day)

Day 5 - St Thomas (or not ?

Day 6 - Sea Day  

Day 7 - Cococay 

Day 8 - Time to hand over to @foxrunner

Pinging @twangster as I know you were in St Maarten on Christmas Day, although not sure what ship. 

I really want to try 150 CP but don't want to miss it if they do something special in the MDR for Christmas day

Keep in mind that over the Holidays they offer “special” holiday meals in Chops and sometimes in Giovanni’s.  This is really nothing more than a price gouge. I know you said you aren’t going to the specialties for the holiday nights so you will avoid this problem but for others who may be traveling during  the Holidays, just be aware of this problem.  ...and the dining package won’t protect you either, unless they have changed the rules due to the new program.  Doubtful. 

• 4 months later...

WE are on your cruise!  We hav booked all the night shows and you must take the kids to THE QUEST show! That's will be listed once on cruise and is usually 2nd to last night.  

We cruised last year over Christmas and did Giovanni's Holiday dinner.  As noted above it was price gouge.  150 Grande is amazing food.  Boook that as so much better than Giovianni's or Chopps. 

Maybe we will see you and toast to 2020 together!!

• 2 months later...

We are doing eastern Caribbean on Harmony, same date.

I am sure there will be NYE festivities ship wide. You could certainly be in one of the lounges. The major event will be a balloon drop on the boardwalk. I'm sure there will be a party poolside and maybe fireworks.

There will be areas for everyone that will let your family celebrate in a way everyone will enjoy.