Dunns river falls

Michel

Hello to all in the forum

My question is regarding the dunns river falls excursion. I will be in Falmouth in january 2016 and still haven't decide what to do there.

For those of you who actually went to dunns river falls. Have you ever considered the option of going on your own ? I mean with a cab taxi or private driver ? 

I'm interested at doing only the falls, no restaurants, no shopping, no bull...... So I looked at the excursion on my cruise planner page and only found one that's Dunns river falls transfer (AKA Dunns express) but the reviews are not that good, so I'm wondering, what if I can do all that by myself ? Plan everything and just take a taxi ! 

Would I save any money ?

Would I be back in time to the ship ? 

Is the driver gonna wait for me at the falls ?

Any of you did that excursion on your own ?

Is that to risky ?

Thanks, Michel

P.s..excuse the typo, my first language is french.  

I did the Dunn's River Falls years ago while staying at  a resort, so not quite the same.

But based on my experiences with travelling...if you take a taxi alone, you defn will not save money compared to booking it with a group.

As for not wanting to do the shopping, eating part I don't think there will be any way to avoid that if you book with a group.

So it comes down to how much extra you want to spend to avoid the things you DON'T want to do.

The other thing is Falmouth is a fairly new port and not much around that area, so not sure how easy or cheap it is to grab a cab to go somewhere unlike when in Nassau or Cozumel etc.

I will be there in 35 days'ish....I can let you know once back as I don't plan on going anywhere when in Falmouth but I always like to research and ask and look around so I know what my options are for the next time I visit.

The thing I recall about Falmouth is that if you want to hire a "private" taxi at a reasonable price, you have to go outside of the complex into the streets.  I recall being extremely frustrated by the taxis inside the compound.  I can't really remember why, but I ended up having to go outside to find what I wanted.  Either the prices were exorbitant or they wouldn't take me where I wanted to go...just can't remember.  We did that a year or so ago to go to an AI and going outside at Falmouth isn't a particularly pleasant experience.  I will say, however, that we were successful in finding someone to take us  to the AI, he was extremely reliable and was there to pick us up to take us back to the ship and we were very happy with the trip overall.

So, if you are willing to brave the hard selling "outside" and willing to filter through the hustlers to find a reliable taxi then go for it.

As Montocguy mentioned, Dunns River is a GOOD distance from Falmouth. It's likely to be a very expensive ride.

I did the Dunn's River Falls years ago while staying at  a resort, so not quite the same.

But based on my experiences with travelling...if you take a taxi alone, you defn will not save money compared to booking it with a group.

As for not wanting to do the shopping, eating part I don't think there will be any way to avoid that if you book with a group.

So it comes down to how much extra you want to spend to avoid the things you DON'T want to do.

The other thing is Falmouth is a fairly new port and not much around that area, so not sure how easy or cheap it is to grab a cab to go somewhere unlike when in Nassau or Cozumel etc.

I will be there in 35 days'ish....I can let you know once back as I don't plan on going anywhere when in Falmouth but I always like to research and ask and look around so I know what my options are for the next time I visit.

Thank you very much monctonguy for sharing your experience.

I might just do like you did and wait until I'm in a resort while in vacancy in Jamaica. I'm going to be in Falmouth january 13 on the Allure. One day ahead of you I beleive ! Hope you have a great cruise ! 

Maybe you can watch the Allure leave Port Everglade on January 10 !? 

We went there several years ago when in Ocho Rios.  Rather than taking a taxi, we took an excursion that sailed us there in a catamaran.  It was nice seeing the country via the shoreline.

I like your idea ! Although very much expensive, but looks very exciting going by catamaran. 

• 1 month later...

^^^^ take the cat it's very nice. Avoid the fuc*ery of the taxi cabs at all costs. The rum punch is great. Be prepared to tip EVERYONE, they all have their hands out and some are quite rude saying "show respect mon" if they see you tip someone and they feel they deserve money as well for just being present.