Go ashore...

I am enjoying the message boards.. have been on just a few days & have read A LOT of interesting things.

I have never taken a cruise, of any sort (disclaimer)...

Here is my question:  Have any of you taken a RC cruise, and not gone ashore?  I am asking for several reasons.

By they way, if my question sounds silly, let me know.  I ask, because, these NEW mega ships sound amazing.  And,

during a 7 night cruise .. that may be JUUUUST enough time to see everything on the ship!?  The ship has a lot to do

on board (correct?) while people "are" going ashore & there will be less crowds.  I am a, mostly, untraveled person to

honest.  The cities/ports look sort of interesting, I suppose.  But, I also am wondering if they're "touristy"?  If I get off the

ship, and the ship IS STILL IN MY VIEW .. then I'll be surrounded by locals selling goofy trinkets.  Again, I am just asking.

You folks are the experts.  (I asked a co-worker, basically, the same question.. and they told me: UNLESS you go on an

excursion.. the ports will be so-so.) 

Thusly, I'd love to hear your feedback!!

Yes I have taken a cruise and not gone ashore. There are many fun things to do as you said and sometimes I feel like nit spending money on shore excursions and enjoy the ship. It really depends on the itinerary. I wouldn’t do it for Europe or Asia but I’ve been to the Caribbean and Mexico so many times that I just don’t feel like doing it again.

Your question is not strange to me at all. And yes some ports are touristy but honestly the ship is touristy as well. LOL. 

But there is nothing wrong with staying on the ship and relaxing and being lazy and enjoying the ship. A vacation is whatever you want it to be,

Welcome to the boards @VegasFella!  No question is too silly to ask here and yours isn’t!   It’s your vacation!  Enjoy!  Some ports are more interesting than others, or some ports have been visited a ton.  I feel like there are ports that I go for an hour or two just to wander a bit and then back to the ship.  I agree with @Oliver that I wouldn’t do that in Europe, but the Caribbean is easier to get too and I do it more frequently.  I was on my first oasis class cruise in March and there were entire parts of the ship I never even saw...there is definitely more to do than you can hope to do! Jane

Many people do stay on board at the ports, but I think most have been there multiple times.  If you are on an Oasis class ship, trying to see and do everything available on the ship would be exhausting.  In fact my first cruise was on the Oasis of the Seas, I reserved the shows, went to other shows and events, got home and realized, wow I never went there or saw that.  For me this was another reason to book another cruise.

If you've never been to the port/country that the ship visits, I'd encourage you to research things to see or do.  The areas around the ports are "touristy".  Whether you select a ship sponsored excursion or find something on your own is a personal decision based on your level of comfort.  If the excursion you select is a long one, far from the port or ends close to the all aboard time I would go with a ships excursion.  On my last cruise I selected an excursion that should have gotten me back 45 minutes before the last tender departed for the ship.  Even this was to close for comfort for me; well things went longer than that and we caught the next to last tender back to the ship.  Arriving 15 minutes after the all aboard time.  I was glad this was a ship sponsored excursion because I knew they wouldn't leave without us. 

No question is too silly.  There is a LOT of information here.

We have never NOT gone ashore, I know lots of people on here have. 

Maybe because we haven't really cruised enough to be "tired" of a port.  But we HAVE gone ashore and NOT done an excursion, just walked around and done our own thing.

It's definitely a personal thing.  For us, part of how we view cruises (so far) is that we want to go ashore to explore places in the world that we would not normally get to visit.  Vacations mean different things for different people/families.  Do what you want and don't feel guilty or like you missed something you didn't choose to do.  It's YOUR vacation.  ?

Personally, the best part of our vacation (especially on Oasis Class) is enjoying the ship when the majority of people get off of it. It’s both relaxing and enjoyable especially at the pool with a cold drink in hand. My kids love it because they normally will play a Disney movie on the big screen and they watch it from the pool. We normally stay onboard when we have stops in Nassau and Falmouth Jamaica since they are less desirable to us. 

It depends on the itinerary for us.  There are some cruises in the Caribbean we get off at each port and others we have stayed on the ship during one port.  I personally find it tiring when we have 3 port days in a row.  My husband loves/needs to get off the ship at each port where I could stay on the ship. 

That being said said it can quickly up doing a shore excursion at each port. We try do make 1 day a beach day, 1 snorkeling day and 1 quiet walk around the port or stay on the ship day.  

Now RC is doing 4 ports on some of my 7 day Caribbean cruises.  Not sure how I feel about that as I think I’ll miss the sea days! I think we will plan on staying on the ship in 1-2 ports to enjoy the ship without the crowds. 

17 minutes ago, JennyB said:

It's definitely a personal thing.  For us, part of how we view cruises (so far) is that we want to go ashore to explore places in the world that we would not normally get to visit.  Vacations mean different things for different people/families.  Do what you want and don't feel guilty or like you missed something you didn't choose to do.  It's YOUR vacation.  ?

To me, a short stop in a location is also a good litmus test for determining if we want to visit for a longer land-based vacation. St. John for 6 hours is great...St. John for 6 days is way better.

Wow!  Thanks so much, all of you, for the great information & personal insight.  :)

I am thinking (since I am a mostly untraveled person), going ashore might be a good thing to a certain extent.

I have only been to seven U.S. States, and CAN for two days, and MEX for 11 hours.  That being said, it will give

me a chance to see "new lands" up close.

When I have rode the ferry (in the SF/OAK bay), I have always loved it.  There is just something about being

aboard a vessel on water!  I even think the moments when a boat goes into/away from a Pier is completely

awesome.  {of course with a ship, it is a mega port)  I love the grind of the engines as they expertly pull right

in. 

Anyhow, I'm still a novice in most of this. 

By the way...  When I mentioned the wording "touristy", I did not mean it as a completely bad thing.  Even here,

in my city, SOME touristy stuff is pretty cool.

I have never cruised one of these giant ships so I'm sure I will be overwhelmed and want to see it all.  Port days would be good to explore.  That being said I plan to get off at each stop on my cruises this year.  Nassau and Cozumel are two where I would most likely stay on.  Nassau because I don't care for it and Cozumel because I've been there so many times.  However, this month I will be in Cozumel twice and am getting off both times.  We've found new things to do.  One trip is as a couple and we are doing a cooking class and the other week is our family trip and we are taking the kids to see the dolphins.  I don't see a problem staying on the ship for all or part of the port day but if you have never been to that port you likely are missing an experience.  Oh I forgot, I'd stay on in Belize if I was going again and may just do that in November. 

11 hours ago, VegasFella said:

Wow!  Thanks so much, all of you, for the great information & personal insight.  ?

I am thinking (since I am a mostly untraveled person), going ashore might be a good thing to a certain extent.

I have only been to seven U.S. States, and CAN for two days, and MEX for 11 hours.  That being said, it will give

me a chance to see "new lands" up close.

When I have rode the ferry (in the SF/OAK bay), I have always loved it.  There is just something about being

aboard a vessel on water!  I even think the moments when a boat goes into/away from a Pier is completely

awesome.  {of course with a ship, it is a mega port)  I love the grind of the engines as they expertly pull right

in. 

Anyhow, I'm still a novice in most of this. 

By the way...  When I mentioned the wording "touristy", I did not mean it as a completely bad thing.  Even here,

in my city, SOME touristy stuff is pretty cool.

Most things are "touristy" for a reason - they're worth seeing.

Nothing wrong with staying aboard if that's what you like. I strongly encourage you to at least look at the shore excursion.  Ive gone on some that were nothing to write home about and would of been better off staying on the ship. On the other hand, some of the shore excursion are a once in a lifetime opportunity, ie Chichen Itza

On 5/8/2019 at 12:18 AM, mom2mybugs said:

Welcome to the boards @VegasFella!  No question is too silly to ask here and yours isn’t!   It’s your vacation!  Enjoy!  Some ports are more interesting than others, or some ports have been visited a ton.  I feel like there are ports that I go for an hour or two just to wander a bit and then back to the ship.  I agree with @Oliver that I wouldn’t do that in Europe, but the Caribbean is easier to get too and I do it more frequently.  I was on my first oasis class cruise in March and there were entire parts of the ship I never even saw...there is definitely more to do than you can hope to do! Jane

Just noticed your address. My wife is from there.

We usually go ashore, but sometimes we don't, and it is OK! The ports vary quite a bit, so it is up to you. Do some research before you go. Set a budget!

If you want to get away from a port, be ready to hand over some cash. Some of the best days have cost our entire family 50 bucks (Megan's Bay in St. Thomas by taxi, on our own), some $400.00 (small group snorkeling 6 hour tour with lunch in Bonaire).  Generally, if we leave the port again via boat, we book through the cruise line (like going to St John from St Thomas). And sometimes the excursions with the cruise line are simpler and the same cost as going on my own, I took my older son to Kennedy Space center, it was transportation and entry only, and it was about the same cost as renting a car without the car shuttle hassle. 

When we stay on a ship, it's because there are things on the ship we want to do without a crowd.. even just take my son to the "circle pool", go to the gym, or just read. Or it's a port we have seen before, or the port stop is just too short, or we just need a lazy day off. If there are 6 ships in Nassau, I might get off, take a photo of the ships, and get back on board - without leaving the pier!  

I agree with melski94   :Mix it up, have a walking day, a beach day, and a snorkeling day.  

We recently took our first cruise on an Oasis class ship(Allure). We had also read passengers posts where they said 7 days was not enough time to see everything. By day 3 my wife and I had explored and seen everything on the ship we wanted to see(we had 2 sea days in a row). So we weren't really sure what kept others from not seeing everything. 

Perhaps they meant they couldn't see and do everything in 7 days. It would be hard to do all the activities and see all the shows. Most of the activities are on 5 or 6 floors out of 17 for the entire ship. 

As for the ports. We like port heavy cruises. For us,  a cruise is the opportunity to sail away to a different island at every port stop. So we always  get off the ship and at least walk around, sightsee, shop, try a local beer or drink and usually eat a bite.

We'll never forget the time we stopped in St Kitts and they were having some kind picnic/celebration in the park that was just a couple of blocks from the cruise port. There was a parade, kids, families, locals selling grilled foods, fresh fruit drinks, crafts.  It was just like what you would expect to see in any small  American town. But it was all about the people of St Kitts, a Caribbean island. If we would have stayed on the ship we would have missed it. 

If you haven't traveled a lot, I encourage you to get off the ship and have a look around for at least an hour or two. And maybe even pick up a sovereign so you can always have a memory of your visit. My wife has collected a refrigerator full of magnets from each of the ports we've visited over the years. I always try a local beer and I try to buy a bottle of hot sauce. 

You can always stay on the ship if you want. But you're going to be on there for days anyway. Why not get off at port?

On 5/7/2019 at 10:36 PM, VegasFella said:

I am enjoying the message boards.. have been on just a few days & have read A LOT of interesting things.

I have never taken a cruise, of any sort (disclaimer)...

Here is my question:  Have any of you taken a RC cruise, and not gone ashore?  I am asking for several reasons.

By they way, if my question sounds silly, let me know.  I ask, because, these NEW mega ships sound amazing.  And,

during a 7 night cruise .. that may be JUUUUST enough time to see everything on the ship!?  The ship has a lot to do

on board (correct?) while people "are" going ashore & there will be less crowds.  I am a, mostly, untraveled person to

honest.  The cities/ports look sort of interesting, I suppose.  But, I also am wondering if they're "touristy"?  If I get off the

ship, and the ship IS STILL IN MY VIEW .. then I'll be surrounded by locals selling goofy trinkets.  Again, I am just asking.

You folks are the experts.  (I asked a co-worker, basically, the same question.. and they told me: UNLESS you go on an

excursion.. the ports will be so-so.) 

Thusly, I'd love to hear your feedback!!

I have the perfect solution for you.. Its called a back to back with the same itinerary.. Spend one week exploring the ship.. and the next visiting ports.. You, my friend cannot lose with this advice! lol.. Welcome to the Boards