When to do a Specialty Restaurants vs. Main Dining Room

mschmitt

We are looking at Specialty Restaurants for on our 8 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas we are trying to decide what’s days would be good to try the specialty restaurants. We thought if we knew what was being service in the main dining room that would help. Does Royal Caribbean post the menus ahead of time for the main dining room if so could someone post a link. If anyone has any other suggesting of what days they do main dining vs. specialty restaurants we would be interested to hear

Thanks

I tend to go on the first night to get the 20% discount and the last night as a farewell to the cruise.  The benefit of this strategy is that you're not competing with any formal nights in the main dining room, which is usually when I actually want to go there.

So is there a 20 percent discount on any Specialty Restaurants that you attend on the first night

In most cases, yes.

A lot of people opt to go to specialty restaurants on formal night because you are already getting dressed up.

Royal Caribbean does not post menus in advance of the cruise.  You will find them on that day, but that doesn't really help you much.

I will say that in many cases, I have had good luck with being able to make reservations during the cruise.  Heck, I've even walked up a number of times.  Of course, the benefit of booking in advance is assuring you a spot and breaking up the cost.

Personally I'm less than 'wow'ed by the MDR, so I go to specially restaurants most nights. 2-3 at Chops. Another couple at Giovanni's, and a couple at the Winjamaire on those nights where we just feel like bumming it (pool attire)

I hope you are pre-booking your specialty restaurants to take advantage of that onboard credit offer for 3 or more reservations.

I'm a big fan of the MDR and it's service, it never fills me up but that's what the Windjammer is for.

The one thing I don't like is how long the MDR takes, a hour and a half. That may be something to consider mschmitt, on busy days you may prefer to go to a restaurant because it's faster.

The one thing I don't like is how long the MDR takes, a hour and a half. That may be something to consider mschmitt, on busy days you may prefer to go to a restaurant because it's faster.

My wife and I enjoy the longer dinners.  With two children, we're accustomed to "speed-eating" at home...

We enjoy the MDR experience and find the food acceptable (generally).

Freedom at Thanksgiving was actually solid across the board.

We enjoy the longer dinner as long as it is moving at pace, the last couple of cruises it has felt like we were "waiting" for the waiter a lot and the dining time was pushing two hours not 1.5.

Freedom for example had a 530 dinner with a lot of "activities" scheduled for 7 or 715 and not once were we able to get out of the dining room before 715.

You folk are right, the long dinner has its up sides. Me and my wife get tables for two and tend to spend our time talking without distractions, we enjoy it. Surprisingly we've been together for 16 plus years and still enjoy each others company.

That said, sometimes we just don't have the time. On a busy day with excursions and shows we may just grab a bite elsewhere, and then have to explain myself to the waiters the next day, "I'm sorry, I went to Jonny Rockets".

I don't do specialty restaurants but if I did it might be a good idea to do them on days where you have less time than the MDR can offer.

I will definitely be taking advantage of the book 3 nights discount, as I did last time. I have a Q about the first night discount. Do you only qualify if you book onboard that first day, or do you get it even if you book ahead, online ??

They will refund the 20% to you via onboard credit if it is a 4th reservation. If it's one of the three dinners booked, then I don't think there's and additional discount.

Taditional MDR is a huge part of our cruising experience. The wife and I get added to as large as table as possible (usually 8, sometimes 12). We enjoy getting to know our table mates and wait staff throughout the week and listening to everyone's daily adventures. For those reasons, we never do Specialty restaurants on the first or last day. And we will only do one during the week for dinner.

Taditional MDR is a huge part of our cruising experience. The wife and I get added to as large as table as possible (usually 8, sometimes 12). We enjoy getting to know our table mates and wait staff throughout the week and listening to everyone's daily adventures. For those reasons, we never do Specialty restaurants on the first or last day. And we will only do one during the week for dinner.

It sounds like have similar cruising habits

We enjoy the longer dinner as long as it is moving at pace, the last couple of cruises it has felt like we were "waiting" for the waiter a lot and the dining time was pushing two hours not 1.5.

Freedom for example had a 530 dinner with a lot of "activities" scheduled for 7 or 715 and not once were we able to get out of the dining room before 715.

We have had the same experience on recent cruises.  We elevated the issue to our Head Waiter and that helped a lot.  For the rest of the cruise our waiter made a point to ask us each evening if we had a show or other event that we were trying to get to so he could make sure we made it.  Before that we had some 2+ hour dinners which were frustrating.  Sometimes the specialty restaurants have the same issue.  Just let the waiter or head waiter know that you prefer faster service and aren't there for the leisurely dinner that others find enjoyable.