Kao Kao Chocolate Tour Cozumel Review

deep1

Prior to heading to Cozumel, I saw a hot button for my GF that would make her day. A Chocolate tour? I decided to educate myself on chocolate and its relation to the Mayan culture. While searching around I stumbled on a tour up in town. I compared it to the one the cruise line offered  and due to its hands on nature and very small class size the tour  at Kao Kao won the coin toss. 

I can see a couple reasons it isn't sanctioned by the cruise lines. Small class size would be short on profit and its located pretty far into the residential part of town off the beaten path. We had time to shop in their little store before the class began. Not just candy. Soaps, hair conditioner, perfume, hair rinse , body wash. My GF aired my wallet pretty good on this stop. 

Class. Extremely informative. I will forever look at chocolate differently after it. It's history is interesting . More or less a symbol of wealth even used as a sort of currency. We learned that chocolates that we normally see in the stores are sorry knock offs of the real deal. We tasted 27 different kinds of real chocolate and each unique. From there we made our own coarse dark chocolate bars while our guide prepared a native chocolate drink with a chili added for a really fascinating kicker. 

I took the tour as my GF is a chocolate aficionado. Thought I would be bored but really enjoyed every second of it. Never too old to learn something!