Snorkeling at Labadee?

deep1

Not excursion... From the beach? Ariel shots looks like good structure near the beach. We don't want to burn up a lot of hours on formal excursion as we want the kids to do Zip line and Dragon tail coaster as well. Anybody with input?

On my own there last March and March of 2018-- it's awful. Both times the water was milky with visibility of just 2-3 feet. It's because of the breakwater creating the coves on either side of the resort. The view on Google maps is deceiving.

A more open water area would be helpful. 

Perhaps the excursion to Rat Island/Amiga Island is a better choice? I would be willing to try on my next visit.

I'm a fishing boat captain by trade. I can "read" water better than most. Just trying to get an idea where to start looking. No time for formal excursion as the kids will be zip lining and doing the coaster for most of the day... 

There are some fish in Columbus Cove.  However because of the pier nearby and the landing point for jet skis and more the swimming area isn't very deep. I think they actually made the swimming area smaller in March compared to previous cruises.  It isn't great snorkeling but if you are looking to kill a bit of time it would work.  There were pretty big schools of fish that came almost up to the beach.  Not the brightest color fish and the water was somewhat murky but my 7 year old enjoyed it.  It was better in the morning than later in the afternoon.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, melski94 said:

There are some fish in Columbus Cove.  However because of the pier nearby and the landing point for jet skis and more the swimming area isn't very deep. I think they actually made the swimming area smaller in March compared to previous cruises.  It isn't great snorkeling but if you are looking to kill a bit of time it would work.  There were pretty big schools of fish that came almost up to the beach.  Not the brightest color fish and the water was somewhat murky but my 7 year old enjoyed it.  It was better in the morning than later in the afternoon.

Now that's the kind of reply I was looking for... Thanks! Now I got to get ahold of a map pf the place so I can micro plan... I got a map this last trip but GF absconded with it... ?