What Would You Splurge On?

DH and I have a cruise on Adventure.  For my birthday last week, DH bought me They Key, but looking at the features I'm don't think it's worth it for us.  He knows i love shows and thought the reserved seating would be great.  However, upon further research it looks like the reserved seats are in the balcony.  (Need to confirm but I've heard reports of the location on Adventure).  I'm a "front row" gal...or at least get seats as close as we can.  The Chops lunch and last day breakfast options are nice but not sure worth The Key cost per day.  We don't get internet as we disconnect form the world (only thing is our kids will be at home but we can try and find wifi when in port to check in).  And we don't do Flowrider, Rock Wall (just our kids but they aren't with us on this cruise).  Priority boarding and getting off the ship is nice, but overall it really doesn't seem worth it...esp at the raised cost.  

He has no issue cancelling it but wants me to splurge on something else.  I think I've seen on other ships that there is sometimes a ship tour but am not seeing it on Adventure...just a Bottomless Gallery Brunch.  Anyone tried that?  Adventure has Chef's Table but not sure as it seems pricey (and I eat fish/seafood but not beef or chicken so not sure if its a set menu).  Our stops are Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman..so perhaps an excursion or something.  Or any good spa packages?  I don't want to book something for the sake of booking something.

I know everyone is different but what do you splurge on?

1 hour ago, bhageerah said:

How about a dining package, that or turning that money back in and using the funds to book another cruise......that would be a GREAT birthday gift!!!!?

Lol...I hope The Key didn't cost as much as another cruise.  Plus we have 5 booked already including Adventure, so we're good for now. ?

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

DH and I have a cruise on Adventure.  For my birthday last week, DH bought me They Key, but looking at the features I'm don't think it's worth it for us.  He knows i love shows and thought the reserved seating would be great.  However, upon further research it looks like the reserved seats are in the balcony.  (Need to confirm but I've heard reports of the location on Adventure).  I'm a "front row" gal...or at least get seats as close as we can.  The Chops lunch and last day breakfast options are nice but not sure worth The Key cost per day.  We don't get internet as we disconnect form the world (only thing is our kids will be at home but we can try and find wifi when in port to check in).  And we don't do Flowrider, Rock Wall (just our kids but they aren't with us on this cruise).  Priority boarding and getting off the ship is nice, but overall it really doesn't seem worth it...esp at the raised cost.  

He has no issue cancelling it but wants me to splurge on something else.  I think I've seen on other ships that there is sometimes a ship tour but am not seeing it on Adventure...just a Bottomless Gallery Brunch.  Anyone tried that?  Adventure has Chef's Table but not sure as it seems pricey (and I eat fish/seafood but not beef or chicken so not sure if its a set menu).  Our stops are Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman..so perhaps an excursion or something.  Or any good spa packages?  I don't want to book something for the sake of booking something.

Totally would splurge on the dining package.. 

I would splurge on a Beach Cabana at the Royal Palms Beach Club in Grand Cayman.  It has always been the best day for us hands down.  We  even took our group of 15 there and rented two cabanas.  Everyone said it was their best memory of the cruise.  It can be as relaxing or as crazy as you want.  They have a fresh water pool also so we spend the first part of the day at the beach going into the ocean  walking the beautiful beach and then about an hour before  heading back we go up to the pool and swim.  We even have a favorite waiter named DIP that we have had 3 times when we have been there.  Here is the website - check it out.  https://royalpalmscayman.com/  Looks like the beach cabana is $125 for the day.  The food and drinks are ala carte but we have never thought the prices were overly expensive.  The food is really good too.  Good luck finding something special to celebrate.

28 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Anyone tried the Gallery Lunch?

We did the Galley Lunch on Navigator and it was brilliant! Well worth it. 

We've also done Chef's Table on Independence and that was also fantastic. it is a set menu but I think there was a choice for the 'main' course. I'll see if I can find a picture of the menu...

We did the bottomless brunch on Navigator in December and it was horrible, long story.  Hubby and daughter did it on Allure and it was great.  Double check your cruise planner under activities to see if the ship tour is available.  If not it may be sold out for your cruise to pre-book but you may be able to purchase onboard the first day.  Since the UDP isn't something you want with limited restaurants I would book one specialty dining at least then the ship tour. 

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

Anyone tried the Gallery Lunch?

We just did this on Adventure last month and really enjoyed it! If you're interested in "behind the scenes"at all (and seeing how sparkling clean everything is, wow!), *and* if you maybe like mimosas /champagne at all... And a beautiful brunch... I'd say do it! ?

20190412_104841.jpg

2 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

We did the Galley Lunch on Navigator and it was brilliant! Well worth it. 

We've also done Chef's Table on Independence and that was also fantastic. it is a set menu but I think there was a choice for the 'main' course. I'll see if I can find a picture of the menu...

+1 from me and +1 from Susan ... Chef's Table.  Be warned, drink very, very little before hand.

Another vote for Chef’s table. It is really is a must-do at least once! You do get your choice of entree, either fish or beef. Rest of the meal is fixed. And I totally agree with the comment about drinking very little to nothing beforehand. You’ll be getting six glasses of wine minimum with that meal; more if there’s something you really liked and want some more of!

11 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Do you get much of a tour on the Gallery Lunch? Or is it more about the lunch?

Lol...is there a glass of wine with each course?  Could be an interesting meal. ?

If you were to pick one...which wins?

You get a compete tour of the galley. You get to see all the different prep areas and the route the waiters have to take when they go to collect your food. 

Chef's table- yes a glass with each course. Although only small glasses. 

Personally, I'd pick Chef's table but then I am a real foodie and love my wine. 

They're both good options though. 

Ok, i'll have to +1 to @Lovetocruise2002's post to GET A SUITE - lol.  If you get the 'right' kind of suite, a lot of the other perks come with it - especially if you get a STAR class suite. (you even get your own person genie).  With the suite - you get access to the Coastal Kitchen which is by far my favorite benefit of the suites #teamCK , as @Lovetocruise2002 likes to say.

Compare upgrading to a suite with how much you'll spend on different packages and look at the price difference. You might find for just a little more that the suite would be well worth it.

(WARNING - Star Class suites are #addictive.  Once you go SC - you'll always want to do SC)  ?

22 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

How about while in Cozumel taking a tour of the Cenotes. Nothing says “disconnected” more than silent pitch black caves with pristine water. The three of us loved it when we did it last year. If you get any twinge of sea sickness on any boat be sure to pack Dramamine for the ferry ride to the mainland. 

1 hour ago, TheHobbys said:

Ok, i'll have to +1 to @Lovetocruise2002's post to GET A SUITE - lol.  If you get the 'right' kind of suite, a lot of the other perks come with it - especially if you get a STAR class suite. (you even get your own person genie).  With the suite - you get access to the Coastal Kitchen which is by far my favorite benefit of the suites #teamCK , as @Lovetocruise2002 likes to say.

Compare upgrading to a suite with how much you'll spend on different packages and look at the price difference. You might find for just a little more that the suite would be well worth it.

(WARNING - Star Class suites are #addictive.  Once you go SC - you'll always want to do SC)  ?

This is for Adventure....don't believe Coastal Kitchen is on this ship.  But yes...one day...that is my dream.  We did "consider" it for our Anthem booking (but stuck with our 2 inerior rooms).

I am watching the prices and if it drops by another $500, then maybe.  But it's $1000 more than our current booking at the moment which is a lot (esp when we need to fly to port).  And that's just the JS, never mind about the other suite rooms.  So if we went for a suite, it would be a JS and really just for the points.

Curious...For Adventure, even the Grand Suite doesn't mention "concierge services" so it looks like you need to book Owner's Suite or above to get access to the lounge?

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Another vote for Chef’s table. It is really is a must-do at least once! You do get your choice of entree, either fish or beef. Rest of the meal is fixed. And I totally agree with the comment about drinking very little to nothing beforehand. You’ll be getting six glasses of wine minimum with that meal; more if there’s something you really liked and want some more of!

3 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

You get a compete tour of the galley. You get to see all the different prep areas and the route the waiters have to take when they go to collect your food. 

Chef's table- yes a glass with each course. Although only small glasses. 

Personally, I'd pick Chef's table but then I am a real foodie and love my wine. 

They're both good options though. 

That's a lot of wine.  After 1 glass , I feel it.  (Yeah, I'm a big drinker ?).  Sounds like a fun experience though. and definitely considering it.  Thanks for explaining...as long as htey have a fish or seafood option, then I'm good.  DH eats beef but does have allergy to some tree nuts...so has to be careful.  

The Gallery Tour sounds great too.  I love the behind the scenes stuff (as long as they are not showing us any mice or anything else that shouldn't be around food they are serving...lol).

Too bad Adventure doesn't have the full ship tour. Those look neat.

i posted below with the ships that currently have the Coastal Kitchen.  On those ships, JR and above get access - with the JR suite getting dinner only access.  If you cruise in the future on one of these ships, it's definitely worth shooting for if it's in the budget  ?  have a great cruise on Adventure

I’d splurge on the cabana in Grand Cayman or chef’s table. If you’re booked on 5 other sailings, I’d want to splurge in port since ship activities will always be available. However, the chef’s table sounds amazing and I’m going to look into it for my Adventure sailing!

43 minutes ago, JayJay1908 said:

I’d splurge on the cabana in Grand Cayman or chef’s table. If you’re booked on 5 other sailings, I’d want to splurge in port since ship activities will always be available. However, the chef’s table sounds amazing and I’m going to look into it for my Adventure sailing!

Thanks...that makes sense.  The difference is the other 4 cruises are with our kids so we wouldn't book a cabana nor do Chef's Table on those so very good options for our Adventure one.

5 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Curious...For Adventure, even the Grand Suite doesn't mention "concierge services" so it looks like you need to book Owner's Suite or above to get access to the lounge?

Nope.  Chalk that up to wonky Royal IT.  Concierge services go to category VP, and GS and above on Voyager class ships.  I have noticed too on certain mock bookings that it does not show up for GS.  But it is included.  That I am sure of.  See this PDF as well from Royal.

VT_VP_VO_Suite_FAQ.pdf

The bottomless galley brunch certainly sounds  like a good ides to me. We had a similar experience on our first "at sea" day on Grandeur last year; an all you can eat Filet Mignon & Lobster Brunch with Bloody Marys, Champagne, Mimosas, and Bellinis (Strawberry & Peach) included. At $30 each, I may not consider it exactly splurging, but, it was certainly a fantastic dining experience.

1 hour ago, SPS said:

The bottomless galley brunch certainly sounds  like a good ides to me. We had a similar experience on our first "at sea" day on Grandeur last year; an all you can eat Filet Mignon & Lobster Brunch with Bloody Marys, Champagne, Mimosas, and Bellinis (Strawberry & Peach) included. At $30 each, I may not consider it exactly splurging, but, it was certainly a fantastic dining experience.

Great to hear you had something similar on Grandeur and enjoyed. If it was just the meal, then not sure we'd go for it, but I love the behind the scenes stuff, so that would be neat to see ontop of a nice lunch.