No refund but I had a heart attack! What’s one to do ?

9 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

So I was already to travel booked everything for May 12 which was 7 day cruise and I had a heart attack on weds May 1,  and can’t travel per doctors orders! So how do I get a refund? That’s something that is out of anyone’s control I paid 1660.00. What’s one to do?

Travel Insurance would have been choice. However, being a medical situation, Royal's resolution department might be willing to move the funds over to another sailing if you booked it with them on the spot, I have heard of that being done before.

By the letter of the agreement with Royal you are not entitled to a refund, so your best bet would be to be very polite with whomever you speak to on the phone to increase your chances of being able to work something out.  If you approach it with the attitude that they owe you a refund you will almost certainly find yourself out of luck, but if you approach it with "this happened and I am hoping we can figure something out" you might be able to come to an agreement with a sympathetic CSR.  And please consider travel insurance in the future.

Best wishes for your recovery.

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

So I was already to travel booked everything for May 12 which was 7 day cruise and I had a heart attack on weds May 1,  and can’t travel per doctors orders! So how do I get a refund? That’s something that is out of anyone’s control I paid 1660.00. What’s one to do?

If you paid your cruise with a Credit Card, see if they offer trip insurance/medical coverage/trip interruption coverage. Many credit card companies offer these benefits.  You might recoup some of it back. Hope this helps.

Hope you're doing well.  It's a shame that this is going on, the last thing you need is more stress.  I totally agree with @NS8VN in how to approach the situation.  Please keep us posted on your (hopefully) progress.... both in terms of your health, but also with this cruise.

Mark

2 hours ago, princevaliantus said:

If you paid your cruise with a Credit Card, see if they offer trip insurance/medical coverage/trip interruption coverage. Many credit card companies offer these benefits.  You might recoup some of it back. Hope this helps.

I was going to suggest this too. Call your credit card company and present the situation to them and ask if one of the card benefits is some kind of medical/travel insurance option.

I sort of had better timing.  Thought the food on Liberty was giving me really bad heartburn.  Turns out it wasn't heartburn.  I waited until I got back to have my heart attack.  Don't let your mind mess with you, you will be able to go another time.