Taking Food to Room

Definitely plates.   Also remember, the fridge in your room isnt a refrigerator.  Its a "cooler"  

Also remember you're not going to be going hungry on your cruise, but sometimes you'll want to have a small nosh in your room.  That's where the plates come in.

Dont forget that room service is also an option.  Yes there's a fee, but room service is 24/7, breakfast is free (no delivery fee) but if you really want that 2am nosh, room service can really come in handy.  

I like bringing a few pastries from the Windjammer or some bacon, or maybe an omelette back to my cabin to enjoy some coffee watching the sunrise over the ocean.  The pastries come in handy for interim noshing and they dont take up too much space.  

Just dont be like some cruisers I've seen before who are food hoarders in their room, taking piles of plates back to their rooms, and storing far more food than they'd ever be able to eat in their room, while at the same time going out to enjoy all of the wonderful restaurant experiences onboard.  

I'm a fan of small nosh is OK to bring back safely from the Windjammer.  Bringing back enough food for 5 people to eat all day off of probably isnt the best idea.  

46 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Not to offend anyone, BUT ...Containers? Ziplock bags? Come on people! You are on vacation and not on the "Trailer Park Trash of the Seas"!! Use the plates. That's what they are there for.

I am not offended. We all have our likes.

You can take food from any venue to anywhere else on the ship.  Whether it's food from the Windjammer or MDR or any specialty restaurant, you do not have to finish the food there.  In fact, the staff is usually very helpful in providing a "to go" container.

I have noticed on my last cruise the stateroom attendant typically would  take any food left on the counters and sometimes in the mini fridge.  I had gone up to chocolate night at the windjammer, left some chocolate desserts on the counter in the room, went to dinner, came back later that night for my chocolate desserts and they were all gone.  Not sure if it has something to do with keeping the food safe or maybe this was a very efficient stateroom attendant but keep that in mind and maybe write a note saying PLEASE DO NOT TAKE.

I often see people having their MDR waiter fix "to-go" plates for guests who didn't show up for dinner or they want to take their dessert to enjoy later.  The waiter will give you a plate with one of those room service covers on it.   I have often seen people carry plates out of the Windjammer using a napkin or another plate as a cover (often for a sick spouse or just being nice and bringing something back for a spouse to have breakfast in bed).

3 hours ago, Jason12 said:

Do us wheelchair users a favour and don’t leave your trays in the hallway it’s a bloody nuisance. ? 

I've seen a lot of folks have issues on the last night of the cruise too..... due to people placing their luggage out early in the evening (too early in my opinion)

12 hours ago, coneyraven said:

I've seen a lot of folks have issues on the last night of the cruise too..... due to people placing their luggage out early in the evening (too early in my opinion)

We plan for the first day and the last night, the crew do a good job generally ?

On 5/3/2019 at 6:28 AM, princevaliantus said:

Not to offend anyone, BUT ...Containers? Ziplock bags? Come on people! You are on vacation and not on the "Trailer Park Trash of the Seas"!! Use the plates. That's what they are there for.

No need to disrespect people who live in trailer parks.

You could have just given your suggestion about plates.  

@MotleyCruiser  This time I am going to go to WJ before dinner and get a plate of Asian food, than place it in my mini-cooler.  One of the things I can't wait to do is eat semi-cold Asian food on my balcony after a late night of shows and dancing to absorb any residual alcohol in my system.  My husband will be the one eating cookies and cake at that hour.   I am also not picky, if they have fried chicken in the WJ, that works at midnight too when it is cold.

@tiny blonde

No the WJ is not open 24 hrs.  Typically it closes @ 9 pm.  That is why posters are talking about taking plates back to their room for a midnight nosh instead of ordering room service.  After that bewitching hour you can go to certain spots on your ship that offer limited late night snacks, such as, pre-made sandwiches, select desserts and pizza.

Room service is 24/7,  You pay 7.95 + grats for as much food you want to order.

We take a balcony so you will see me 2x a day bringing plates   My husband and I will walk the track or go to the gym very early a.m..  We order the free continental breakfast to be delivered to our cabin at a set time.  As we go back to the cabin, we stop in the WJ for fresh made omelets and some hash browns.  Plate #1 for the day. 

We do late seating for dinner.  We go to the WJ @ 5 and have early cocktail hr.  WJ is serving dinner at this time.  We make plate #2 and 3 to take back to the room.  #2 is filled with nosh food for my hubby.  #3 is mine.  As stated we place it in the mini-fridges aka cooler.

If hubby is hungry we will hit whatever place is open for pizza, and as I said before just unwind on the balcony eating food and guzzling down water to rehydrate.  We do leave the plates out in the hall before we go to sleep.  

1 hour ago, Pima1988 said:

@tiny blonde

No the WJ is not open 24 hrs.  Typically it closes @ 9 pm.  That is why posters are talking about taking plates back to their room for a midnight nosh instead of ordering room service.  After that bewitching hour you can go to certain spots on your ship that offer limited late night snacks, such as, pre-made sandwiches, select desserts and pizza.

Room service is 24/7,  You pay 7.95 + grats for as much food you want to order.

Thanks for all this info, it's very helpful!!

I'll ask this question here since room service was mentioned.  Someone mentioned (maybe on another thread) how they have a pot of coffee delivered through room-service each morning...can I order specialty coffees through room service in the mornings?  or does DH still have to run to get them for me? ?

23 minutes ago, JennyB said:

I'll ask this question here since room service was mentioned.  Someone mentioned (maybe on another thread) how they have a pot of coffee delivered through room-service each morning...can I order specialty coffees through room service in the mornings?  or does DH still have to run to get them for me? ?

Still gotta run to get Specialty coffees.  No drinks delivered via room service are covered in any drink package.

24 minutes ago, JennyB said:

Typical room service menu:

YyrZEVL.jpg

Coffee options are caffeinated or decaffeinated.  

Mimosa and Bloody Mary's are available at a cost even if you have a drink package or drink card.

Beyond that, the SO is heading to the coffee shop on board.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

YyrZEVL.jpg

Coffee options are caffeinated or decaffeinated.  

Mimosa and Bloody Mary's are available at a cost even if you have a drink package or drink card.

Beyond that, the SO is heading to the coffee shop on board.

decent little menu if you are wanting to order in.  wld be nice to have out on the balcony for a lunch or dinner

1 minute ago, DublinFC said:

decent little menu if you are wanting to order in.  wld be nice to have out on the balcony for a lunch or dinner

When I've stayed in a Grand or Loft suite I've sampled much of the menu ($7.95 fee waived for full suites).  The food is pretty good.  The Royal Hamburger is actually very good and not just a windjammer burger.  

The fee is per order so for less than $10 it's a solid choice and nice way to enjoy a meal on a balcony.  

Just now, twangster said:

When I've stayed in a Grand or Loft suite I've sampled much of the menu ($7.95 fee waived for full suites).  The food is pretty good.  The Royal Hamburger is actually very good and not just a windjammer burger.  

The fee is per order so for less than $10 it's a solid choice and nice way to enjoy a meal on a balcony.  

Keeping this little nugget of information for later, thanks for sharing.

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

Thanks for sharing @twangster 

He usually goes and gets a latte for me in the mornings.  He's a morning person.  I. AM. NOT.

He usually gets my coffee and might grab something for himself at WJ to hold him over until I'm up and ready for breakfast in the MDR.  LOL

1 hour ago, twangster said:

YyrZEVL.jpg

We like to order a Continental breakfast on mornings were we are going to sleep in and then head for a late breakfast or early lunch. Since it's complimentary, we feel it's a better option than lugging something back from the WJ and can be ordered the night before.

2 minutes ago, FManke said:

We like to order a Continental breakfast on mornings were we are going to sleep in and then head for a late breakfast ot early lunch. Since it's complimentary, we feel it's a better option than lugging something back from the WJ and can be ordered the night before.

Agreed.  When I have a balcony a plate of fruit, croissant and coffee are a great start to the morning on the balcony.

With so much food at other times of the day I don't need a big breakfast.

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Agreed.  When I have a balcony a plate of fruit, croissant and coffee are a great start to the morning on the balcony.

With so much food at other times of the day I don't need a big breakfast.

Is the coffee from Room Service any good? How about WJ? Or do you need to go to the Cafe for good coffee? (I'm talking free, here, don't want to spend extra.)

When I have a balcony a plate of fruit, croissant and coffee are a great start to the morning on the balcony.

Looking forward to room service breakfast on our first balcony cruise. Oct 2020 to Greece in corner Jr Suite.

Just now, tiny blonde said:

Is the coffee from Room Service any good? How about WJ? Or do you need to go to the Cafe for good coffee? (I'm talking free, here, don't want to spend extra.)

Personal preference. 

I'm not someone who buys Starbucks ever so my tastes are pretty easy going.  A coffee aficionado may scoff at WJ or room service coffee.   

1 minute ago, tiny blonde said:

I think it's fine. I do enjoy a "good" coffee from Café Latte-tudes while on board, but room service coffee is free and they bring it to you.

Personal preference. 

I'm not someone who buys Starbucks ever so my tastes are pretty easy going.  A coffee aficionado may scoff at WJ or room service coffee.   

My husband only likes the coffee he makes fresh just before consuming, so he'll miss his coffee pot on the cruise. I like only lattes from speciality shops, but we're determined to survive for these 5 days/4 nights without spending extra money. Although maybe I'll get one latte . . . . . does RC give everyone some on-board credit? Or is that only through the booking agent . . . .?

28 minutes ago, tiny blonde said:

My husband only likes the coffee he makes fresh just before consuming, so he'll miss his coffee pot on the cruise. I like only lattes from speciality shops, but we're determined to survive for these 5 days/4 nights without spending extra money. Although maybe I'll get one latte . . . . . does RC give everyone some on-board credit? Or is that only through the booking agent . . . .?

OBC can be sourced from Royal or from a travel agent.  When Royal provides OBC they are not just giving away money.  Sometimes cruise fares are lower and sometimes fares are slightly higher and you get OBC.  Rarely does anyone just give away money for nothing.  

At the end of the day the cost of your cruise vacation is the price of cruise fare less OBC if any.  If your vacation is going to be more enjoyable with lattes then budget for them as if it's part of the total cost to go on vacation.  If you pay for them at home or at work then you are already accustomed to spending some money for them on a daily basis.  Consider something like a refreshment package that includes specialty coffees.  

I’ve already said this in a recent tips thread I know, but we take a couple of plastic food prep containers with clear lids (the kind that can be thrown away before you leave). Room service is fine, but the items tend to be greasy and that isn’t what I want later in the evening.

It’s not that I care about taking the dishes for the venue, but the food that I am taking is for a small snack for later and so the lid really matters because (1) the lid keeps the food from the kind of sliding / spIlling you would get if using a plate {important unless your cabin is somehow next to the buffet!) snd (2) the lid helps to keep the food fresher (my little Kaiser roll late-night snack will be far less yummy if it’s hard as a rock from sitting out.