Coco Cay Three Ships!

2 minutes ago, RWDW1204 said:

Look at the really small print bottom left under day 5.

I did noticed that.  It's certainly an interesting exercise to get the correct dates for certain things.  Not to mention sites like cruisetimetables are clearly using the generic data for sailings making it difficult to post accurate info.  And yet, you were able to easily get the correct dates for an individual sailing.  You'd think itinerary sites would do that too.

Mike

I honestly can’t imagine more than two ships there at a time. Just because the capacity is “technically” there doesn’t mean they should exploit it. I’d probably recommend taking down the “Perfect Day” letters at that point. 

We've been there twice now, on Harmony in August and Mariner last week. We noticed quite a difference with the two smaller ships (us and Navigator, about 8,000 guests max). We got off around 8:30 and got a prime spot, but by 10:30 people were walking around searching for chairs hopelessly. With the beach club construction going on, there were literally people using chairs that were set up along the scrim facing the bathrooms. Not sure they thought it was so perfect. 

Of course once everything is open later this month there will be a lot more capacity, and we can’t complain about either of our days there (I’d be reluctant to choose a cruise not visiting the island at this point). I understand they want to capitalize on this demand, I just hope they don’t ruin it in the meantime. 

3 hours ago, Biff215 said:

Just because the capacity is “technically” there doesn’t mean they should exploit it

They built it to hold 12,000.  That was the stated design criteria.  It's not exactly exploiting it if they reach that threshold.  

That would be like building a sports stadium with 20,000 seats then just selling 15,000 seats for events.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

They built it to hold 12,000.  That was the stated design criteria.  It's not exactly exploiting it if they reach that threshold.  

That would be like building a sports stadium with 20,000 seats then just selling 15,000 seats for events.

Fair enough, but a sports stadium is a little different when you typically have a reserved seat. Coco Cay is more like a theme park. They have theoretical capacity, but it doesn’t mean the experience is going to be pleasant when guests move from one area to another unpredictably. I can’t blame Royal for pushing it to those limits, I just don’t want to be there when they do. I love the place far too much already!

37 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

Fair enough, but a sports stadium is a little different when you typically have a reserved seat. Coco Cay is more like a theme park. They have theoretical capacity, but it doesn’t mean the experience is going to be pleasant when guests move from one area to another unpredictably. I can’t blame Royal for pushing it to those limits, I just don’t want to be there when they do. I love the place far too much already!

I find it less crowded now compared to before Perfect Day.  

When it was a tender destination, visiting on a small ship like Grandeur or Empress it wasn't bad finding a beach lounger.  When you visited on a ship like Anthem it was nearly impossible to find a beach lounger.  The whole place felt crowded.  There wasn't many places to go so everyone was at the beach.  The hammocks were always taken.  The food venues were packed and there was no place to sit, every picnic table near the food was full.    

If running it up to 12k returns to that experience that isn't because of Perfect Day.  It's always been like that and always will be on days with high guest counts present. 

Like an Oasis class ship with seven neighborhoods, Perfect Day has several neighborhoods to distribute people around the island now.  Coco Beach club will help with that to, taking a few hundred from the rest of the island.   South Beach too.  The pool helps a lot, that is the reason why the beach loungers are readily available now.  

9 hours ago, twangster said:

I find it less crowded now compared to before Perfect Day.  

When it was a tender destination, visiting on a small ship like Grandeur or Empress it wasn't bad finding a beach lounger.  When you visited on a ship like Anthem it was nearly impossible to find a beach lounger.  The whole place felt crowded.  There wasn't many places to go so everyone was at the beach.  The hammocks were always taken.  The food venues were packed and there was no place to sit, every picnic table near the food was full.    

If running it up to 12k returns to that experience that isn't because of Perfect Day.  It's always been like that and always will be on days with high guest counts present. 

Like an Oasis class ship with seven neighborhoods, Perfect Day has several neighborhoods to distribute people around the island now.  Coco Beach club will help with that to, taking a few hundred from the rest of the island.   South Beach too.  The pool helps a lot, that is the reason why the beach loungers are readily available now.  

I didn’t visit before August of this year so I don’t have that comparison. I definitely agree that it’s set up very well like Oasis class ships. I have zero interest in the water park and only spend brief time at the pool, but I realize the importance of those areas in my overall enjoyment of the island. This is where I think Royal bettered what Disney had created at Castaway Cay.

I’m certainly still concerned about what three or four ships will do to the overall experience. You already hear complaints about the lines at the water park even on days when it’s not sold out. They may need some expansion there or ticket prices are going to have to soar over $100 to deal with demand. I also can’t imagine having to go back to tendering some ships while others walk right on.

Fortunately this is all still possible to avoid and I just hope Royal will monitor the busy days closely to see if guests still are having that “perfect day” they’re trying to deliver. 

38 minutes ago, Biff215 said:

You already hear complaints about the lines at the water park even on days when it’s not sold out

I hear complaints about bars that make you wait while one person ahead has their drink made.  Lines happen at water parks all over the country.  Some people always find something to complain about, even if they have never set foot on CocoCay yet.      

On 1/17/2020 at 10:07 AM, MicroBeta said:

Holy Cow!!!!!

It turns out that there will be three ships in Coco Cay on June 3rd.  The Oasis, Independence, and Majesty.  I just checked RCI's website for the itineraries and verified they are all going to be there on the 3rd.  We'll be on the Oasis.

That's 11742 to 14026 potential passengers between the three ships.

cococay-3.jpg

We're on the same sailing on Oasis... I hope they change one of the itineraries!

Only crew-center.com shows just the 2 ships... I hope they are right!

image.png.cf1dbcea5f4676935499d6c29864e94f.png

• 2 weeks later...

Two ships ok. Unfortunately this go round I mistakenly booked on a triple call at coco  Cay. Having been there already, Feel three ships at once will be nightmare. One thing we likes last time was that it wasn’t crowded. I would certainly research next time  before booking to avoid triple bookings. The island is not that big. Suppose they want to shoehorn as many folks on as possible. Will ruin the experience. Triple ships=big mistake

21 hours ago, Miklou32 said:

Two ships ok. Unfortunately this go round I mistakenly booked on a triple call at coco  Cay. Having been there already, Feel three ships at once will be nightmare. One thing we likes last time was that it wasn’t crowded. I would certainly research next time  before booking to avoid triple bookings. The island is not that big. Suppose they want to shoehorn as many folks on as possible. Will ruin the experience. Triple ships=big mistake

I haven't seen anyone report actually being at Coco Cay with 3 ships.  So far, it's just rumors and unreliable sources.  Please come back and let us know your actual experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone follow up to what their experience was like. A lot of people were worried and now that their cruise has come and gone, how was the 2 ships at port? Keep in mind, that the numbers people are using for the ships are off. For example, Harmony says a capacity of 6,687. However they have a crew of 2,200. Keep in mind as well that tons of rooms with a capacity of 4 may just have 2 people in them. So while the ship has a max capacity, when you factor in crew and lots of rooms at half capacity, the numbers will be lower.