Alaska Cruise & Drink Package

My family an I will be sailing in Alaska on Ovation of the Seas in late May 2020. We also have a Caribbean cruise this summer on Harmony of the Seas. For the Harmony cruise, we purchased the Deluxe Drink Package for $52/per person per day. I checked the cruise planner for the Alaska cruise, and found the drink package available for $50/per person per day (a little odd it's even available over 1 year out). My question is, does anyone know if the $50/pp pd for the Deluxe package is a good deal, or is it typical for the Alaska cruises?

Thanks,

Trevor in Orlando

Welcome to the message boards!

Drink package pricing is not a constant.  It varies by a number of factors such as ship, cruise length, how many other guests have bought the package, sail date, region and other factors.

When you buy it in advance you are able to cancel it for a full refund anytime up to ~3 days prior to sailing.  Consequently the general wisdom is to buy it if you want it, then watch for sales.  If it goes down in price, cancel for a refund and re-purchase at the lower price.  

To echo what twangster said. Buy it now as that could be the best price you see. There’s no fee associated with the refund so you’ll get all of the difference back. The only real question would be the value of the money over time. But as Alaska excursions get very expensive, it could be a good thing to get one of the largest expenditures paid for now. 

1 hour ago, Andrew72681 said:

Buy it now as that could be the best price you see. There’s no fee associated with the refund so you’ll get all of the difference back.

This is definitely the advice I always give. If you know you want to get the drink package, lock in the price now. You can always cancel and rebook if the price drops later.

1 hour ago, Kansas Cruiser said:

We recently paid $44 on Radiance for our July 2019 Alaska cruise.  Even with that "bargain" price, we are actually considering cancelling it after re-evaluating how much time we will spend off the ship with this itinerary.  Can't wait to explore all the wonders in this great state! 

We are also seeing $44 for our Alaska sailing, but the cruise is so incredibly port intensive that we couldn't possibly fulfill that beverage package. We decided to go with the refreshment package. However, for an upcoming Oasis Western Caribbean we will be using the deluxe drink package.

I am paying $44 per day for our Alaskan cruise in July.  That’s the lowest I seen.  I had booked mine originally at $49... and canceled that one and rebought the cheaper one.  

Money caveat to canceling orders.. they will not refund you for 30 days.

Dee 

2 hours ago, Deepa said:

I am paying $44 per day for our Alaskan cruise in July.  That’s the lowest I seen.  I had booked mine originally at $49... and canceled that one and rebought the cheaper one.  

Money caveat to canceling orders.. they will not refund you for 30 days.

Dee 

I've received refunds far sooner than 30 days.  I book and rebook constantly.

My sailing to Alaska on Ovation in June never went under $47 pppd.