Why offer upgrade bids when ship is full?

So I got the upgrade email for June 15 majesty sailing but I went and checked.  According to the website, there aren’t any 3 person rooms left on the ship.  Why bid an upgrade.  Of course, when it is announced we can’t go to Cuba...which I’m expecting tomorrow, rumor is they will offer refunds and maybe cabins will open up.  So maybe I will bid on the first jr suite ever for me because I’m thinking whatever guarantee room they put me into is going to be microscopic!!   So question...anybody know offhand how many 3 person cabins there are?  Is there any penalty to bidding and nothing even comes available?  Just wondering ( I certainly can go hunt deck plans) and whining about the Cuba ban when I booked this cruise less than a month ago!  Jane

Bids are accepted in case a cabin opens up.  In that event they know who they can upgrade and if they pick the right person, they can then sell that now empty cabin as an upgrade to the someone in a lower category.  

People cancel all the time, right up to the week of the cruise.  With several thousand guests on board, life happens.  

If no one cancels, no upgrades. 

This is part of the reason why I do not advocate considering/using RoyalUp.

The reason they offer it despite the ship being full is to have the option if someone cancels. That's fine and dandy, but most guests who get this email have no idea that is the case and it leads to frustration, IMO.