Re pricing for room upgrade.

Things that make you go....hmmmmmmm

Current situation.

Room is booked with a price of $2500 paid for at initial booking. I was looking to possibly upgrade and notice the current price for next level up is listed at $2592.18.  With seeing that price, I put a call to our TA to jump at that price, with the difference only bein $92.18. This is an after final payment and under the 90 days out mark. Here's the kicker, TA tells me that RC wants $900 to upgrade. ? 

Who's pulling my leg...TA or RCCL?

Well that doesn't surprise me one bit.  Once all the fares that have to be paid by the 90 day mark, if the ship isn't filled enough, they usually start to drop the prices to get those cabins filled.  My thought is when you originally booked this cruise that upgrade was probably $900 and they are not allowing you to get that break because everyone would do that.  Obviously it's not worth cancelling and rebooking because you are too close to sailing and would lose more than it's worth.  Even when they offer a buy up, they set a minimum bid price which is what I would have paid at the time I booked.  In my case the cabins actually went up in price, so for me it would have been a good deal.  Even with that said it wasn't worth an additional $175  to go from a balcony to a spacious balcony for an additional 50 sq ft. if that much.  Plus you can always get a "bad" upgrade and be over the night club and have no say in the matter.  Don't sweat it and just enjoy your vacation.  Happy Cruising!       

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've been under 90 days and flat out told no upgrades, prices on website are new bookings only.  This was January of this year.  So it all depends.  

I guess they figured the Royal up program will be a better money maker than to allow already booked passages a step up.

Here’s what I suspect, happened.  Since it’s after final payment, they are charging you a cancellation penalty since any repricing is essentially a brand new booking. So they are cancelling your original booking, charging you whatever the applicable cancellation penalty is, and rebooking at the new price.  That’s how they keep you from rebooking after final payment date to take advantage of falling prices.

27 minutes ago, mworkman said:

I guess they figured the Royal up program will be a better money maker than to allow already booked passages a step up.

I don't think Royal Up is a factor.

Simple truth is they want more wallets and purses on board.  A significant portion of revenue comes from onboard spending.  Royal Up and people upgrading cabins introduces no new wallets and purses to spend money on board.  Advertising cheap rates on the website for new bookings introduces new blood to spend more money on board.

So if you paid $2500 for category X, and then the upgraded room is showing online for $2592, I'm surprised they aren't allowing you to upgrade because you want to pay more (past final payment date or not).

Are you calling RC directly? Or using a TA? 

If calling directly, call back a few times. You'd be surprised how the answer can change depending on who you talk to.

2 pennies worth reinforcing that it really depends;

While in "cruisingpower" for Royal, travel agents can see if the current promo allows for conversion (to the new rate). Even this can be an obstacle since the Royal reps don't use the same system and sometimes they need to get "resolutions" involved too.  I have gotten some fantastic deals PRIOR to the automated "Royal UP" program but the pond really is drying up inside the final payment window.

No salesman hat on since my customer base is "locked" as I wind down my franchise. Just enjoy this site since it's so much more relaxed than the big dog ;>)

On 5/2/2019 at 12:39 PM, jticarruthers said:

Standard Royal Caribbean customer service rules apply ... if you dont get the answer you want, keep calling until you do.

Had my first experience with this...called to check about price drop and the "English is not his first language" guy on the line told me he could not access my reservation and it was "locked" (his words) because it was done through a TA...(I had booked at the Next Cruise office).

So, after having read many times to call again until I get the answer I wanted, I immediately called back...another "English is not his first language but way more understandable" guy helped me right away and answered by questions.

Didn't drop in price.  But now I know.