Suggestions

Just a couple of suggestions for your new builds. Please put laundry facilities on your ships for those who have families or those of us who like to keep clean and pack lighter. We spent a lot on doing our children's laundry for a very little amount of clothing. 

Also would love to see a lazy river or wave pool on your ships if that is at all possible. I figured it can't hurt to mention it, since awhile ago I had suggested bumper cars and you brought them on the Quantum class. So cool! I have so many ideas! We LOVE RCI, and love all of the new things you are putting on the ships, and having fun enjoying exploring them all. So far we have been on Jewel, Brilliance, Serenade, Allure, Oasis, Quantum, and Navigator. We thoroughly enjoyed the new refurbishment on the Navigator! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, El Loco Fresh!! As well as all of the shows, entertainment, and activities it had to offer. Looking forward to sailing on more ships. You have even got our 5 year old saying she would rather go on a cruise, then Disney! So that says something!

A lazy river sounds cool.  Also laundry services are available for a small fee just not "do it yourself" laundry options.  I feel like it could be a very slight advantage of having a couple washer/dryers for self service but then people would complain about it not being on a certain floor  or all they way at the other end of the ship from their state room.etc....     

Ha - turn the 'walking' track into a lazy river ?  now, that would get some use.  Take a gander at an old post here regarding the laundry service.  If you are ok with spending the $$, then worth a shot to have it done for you.   As for a dedicated laundry room for guests to use, probably not.  Too many potential issues / complaints as @CyclingVa mentioned.  Now, maybe adding a small stackable set in some of the bigger suites ??  now that might draw a little more attention

Welcome to the forum, Shawna!   You're kind of writing it as though Royal Caribbean is reading it.  ?  Just be aware that the site isn't affiliated with Royal Caribbean itself.  But I agree with some of your ideas!

I love lazy rivers.  But I would like them to put it on Coco Cay.   A ship just isn't big enough to make a long enough one.

5 minutes ago, CyclingVa said:

Also laundry services are available for a small fee just not "do it yourself" laundry options.  I feel like it could be a very slight advantage of having a couple washer/dryers for self service but then people would complain about it not being on a certain floor  or all they way at the other end of the ship from their state room.etc....     

They make it work pretty well on Carnival and Princess ships, though. So it can be done. 

I understand trying to save a few bucks … but … there is always a but …. that would be me ...

On almost any extended vacation much longer than a week end … laundry is just part of the expense.

We have spent three weeks auto touring and halfway through was laundry day were we spent a good part of the day in a laundry mat, pumping in quarters for a cost of at least $20 for machines and detergents etc.

We did 15 days cruising after flying to the port. Again, halfway through most every thing went to the laundry. I don't remember the bill exactly but it was probably in the neighborhood of $50.

Now my point is simply, if you are paying for airline tickers, for the cruise and any one of a number excursions, dinners, booze, gambling etc … what is the total cost of the cruise and what percentage of that would a couple of loads of laundry be? Probably one half of one percent if that much.

I say you are on vacation, bite the bullet, send a couple of bags to the ship laundry, let them do it and give up trying to save the 30-50 bucks you would probably end up spending on machines and time anyway. You are spending a wad of bills for a cruise and every minute of your vacation is valuable. Why do your own laundry when you cold be having fun?

5 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

They make it work pretty well on Carnival and Princess ships, though. So it can be done. 

ABSOLUTELY! I would really love to be able to pack lighter and really not have to worry about it!  I know exactly what to pack by now, and how much I need and I am still close to  50 pounds when I check my bag at the airport.  It would be nice to cut the amount of stuff I need by half and bring a smaller suitcase.  If folks will complain about which end of the ship how about you stagger one at each end of the ship on opposite decks.  I can guarantee you that it definitely would be a money maker!  I really do hate coming home with a suitcase full of nasty, smelly clothes.  But if this is the worst thing I have to complain about on a cruise then I   really do not have a major complaint! And I have to agree, I would love a lazy river as well, that would be pretty sweet! 

?

3 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

We did 15 days cruising after flying to the port. Again, halfway through most every thing went to the laundry. I don't remember the bill exactly but it was probably in the neighborhood of $50.

For my family of four, the bill for a week's worth of clothing at the prices I vaguely remember (e.g., $3 for a single set of undergarments or a single pair of socks; $6 for a t-shirt; $9 for a button-down shirt or women's blouse) would probably be closer to $750 using the full laundry service. That's assuming undies, socks, t-shirts, shorts, and evening wear (pants / button-down shirts / dresses) for MDR on a Caribbean cruise for each of us.

Count me among those who'd be happy spending a sea day pumping quarters into the on-board laundromat.

26 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Count me among those who'd be happy spending a sea day pumping quarters into the on-board laundromat.

The problem usually is that you aren't the only person using the onboard laundromat, and there generally aren't that many machines.  So you end up waiting for a machine to open up, and waiting for inconsiderate people to come back and collect their laundry from the dryer...

It's worst on Cunard, they don't charge for use of the machines.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

It's funny...I do laundry all the time on our Disney trips and don't think twice.  There is no way I'm doing laundry on a cruise lol!  Not sure why I feel this way.  Now, we are planning on filling the laundry bag on the 12 day cruise this summer but problem is I wear mostly dresses, which just wouldn't work... Or would shrink.  So I will likely overpack or plan on hand washing and hope things dry!  Jane

10 hours ago, JLMoran said:

For my family of four, the bill for a week's worth of clothing at the prices I vaguely remember (e.g., $3 for a single set of undergarments or a single pair of socks; $6 for a t-shirt; $9 for a button-down shirt or women's blouse) would probably be closer to $750 using the full laundry service. That's assuming undies, socks, t-shirts, shorts, and evening wear (pants / button-down shirts / dresses) for MDR on a Caribbean cruise for each of us.

Wow … that would be hard to swallow.There is a bag price of $34.99. We carefully, tightly rolled every small item (mostly shorts, T shirts etc.) as well as any thing else we could fit in the bag to overflowing. There was a second bag that contained a few larger items like evening wear we just could not fit in the $30 bag. There was just 2 of us, not a family of 4. Still, most cruise clothes are smaller, light weight items that can be packed tight, especially if dirty and wrinkles are not a consideration. I am not denying you could spend $750 on laundry but I would have to send every thing I brought with me every day to spend that much.

Currently the bag price is $34.99

A few representative individual item prices are:

T-Shirt $3.49

Shorts $4.49

Underwear/socks $1.99

Dress $8.99

Swimsuit $3.49

Short sleeve shirt $3.99

Long Pants $5.49

For us, that is pretty much all we take. Suits and evening dresses are more expensive if you just have to dress up every night.

Barring accidents, most long pants can be worn 2-3 times as evening wear. Warm weather clothes are light weight and bundle small. Cooler weather clothes could no doubt cost a bit more but layering undergarments could protect them for multiple use. I know some kids can dirty multiple sets of clothes in a day so that could increase laundry cost.

Overall, good planning, mix and match, etc. can reduce laundry cost. Evening wear could potentially be dress shorts, a collared shirt for men, and 'dressy' boat shoes. The dining room attire is more casual these days. Even formal night, most people dress down more than they dress up. I typically wear slacks and maybe a tie with a dress shirt. Mostly I forgo the tie.

For a couple you can probably pack enough so laundry is not even necessary. If it is, a little planning and a $34,99 bag will go a long way.

laundry-service-price-list.pdf

2 hours ago, Ditchdoc said:

We carefully, tightly rolled every small item (mostly shorts, T shirts etc.) as well as any thing else we could fit in the bag to overflowing. There was a second bag that contained a few larger items like evening wear we just could not fit in the $30 bag.

How did you get a second bag? I thought there was a limit of one bag per cabin. Was this a regular bag where you paid the normal prices for those larger items?

We were a family of four in two cabins, and we only got one bag for the four of us on our 8-night cruise on Freedom (with two days pre-cruise in FLL and a planned day post-cruise there as well). I never had a chance to ask our cabin attendant if that was a mistake or if they truly only allowed one bag for the entire family, which frankly seemed more than a little odd to me.

We only managed to pack a couple of days worth of essentials (undies, socks, t-shirts) for each of us into the one bag we had, and I was really wishing at the time that we had at least one more available to us.

The bigger issue for us will be next year, when we sail Celebrity on a 14-night northern Transatlantic that's going to Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and Ireland. I'm figuring that we'll pack only 10 days of clothes each to keep the luggage down, especially since we plan to spend an additional 3-5 days in Ireland before flying home. Use of the laundry services on-board is just going to have to be part of my budget, expensive or not, and we'll have a decent amount of clothes for layering due to the wide temperature variations we'll have to expect. Use of the fixed-cost (and relatively small) bags really won't be workable if we can't each get an individual bag.

I'm glad to see that the prices I was semi-remembering were off by a decent margin (especially for things like t-shirts and socks/undies), as I know Celebrity and Royal are reasonably close to each other on that front -- A better estimate for the four of us to each get a full week's worth of clothes cleaned is probably going to be more in the neighborhood of $250 to $300, which is a smidge easier to swallow than $750!

Ok...I have 2 cents...this is my own personal opinion...but I do laundry at home.  I would GLADLY pay someone to do it.  So there is NO WAY I'm doing laundry on vacation...I enjoy sending things away that come back clean and all I had to do was pay a few bucks.  I'll give up a margarita for that.

7 minutes ago, mook1525 said:

Is outdoor basketball court that popular? It takes up huge space I think that can be used for something fun.  

I usually see people playing there more often than not.

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

How did you get a second bag? I thought there was a limit of one bag per cabin. Was this a regular bag where you paid the normal prices for those larger items?

Now you are going to tax my memory. 

I think there was one 'special' bag that was the 'all you can stuff in it' for a fixed price. There were additional bag(s) you could use for the normal rate. I don't remember for sure but we may have asked the cabin attendant for additional laundry bags, especially for the longer 15 day cruise.

I would also check the C&A perks. There just might be some laundry relief there.

Take care.

On 4/30/2019 at 3:32 PM, CruiseLife72 said:

Disney also has ships with self-service launderette facilities. We were able to pack about a third of what we would have had to pack for a family of 4 on an 11-night cruise.

The Disney laundry is even tied to their phone app, so you can know when your cycle is done, which alleviates people’s laundry just getting left for hours. 

6 hours ago, JennyB said:

Ok...I have 2 cents...this is my own personal opinion...but I do laundry at home.  I would GLADLY pay someone to do it.  So there is NO WAY I'm doing laundry on vacation...I enjoy sending things away that come back clean and all I had to do was pay a few bucks.  

+1

3 hours ago, NJCruisers said:

With all this laundry talk - does anyone know if they have a pressing service for DH's suit?  Would it be ready by 1st formal night? I REALLY don't want to bring a garment bag on the plane and he nixed the tux rental idea.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Yes they do and yes it can be ready by first formal night. Just be sure to get it to your stateroom attendant on the first day.

@NJCruisers, I used that service on my Freedom cruise and the only thing I'll give you a heads-up on is that you actually have to take the suit off any hanger you may have packed it with and literally stuff it into the standard laundry bag, along with the completed laundry service form. I thought that was a bit nutty when I had brought a rather expensive suit and they wanted me to just stuff it in a bag to get even more wrinkled than it already was, but was all good in the end.

I want to say it cost about ten bucks / slightly under. Once they have pressed it and returned it to your room, it will be on a hangar and should be hung up somewhere conspicuous if it's not hung up in the closet. It will be returned in the early afternoon.

21 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@NJCruisers, I used that service on my Freedom cruise and the only thing I'll give you a heads-up on is that you actually have to take the suit off any hanger you may have packed it with and literally stuff it into the standard laundry bag, along with the completed laundry service form. I thought that was a bit nutty when I had brought a rather expensive suit and they wanted me to just stuff it in a bag to get even more wrinkled than it already was, but was all good in the end.

I want to say it cost about ten bucks / slightly under. Once they have pressed it and returned it to your room, it will be on a hangar and should be hung up somewhere conspicuous if it's not hung up in the closet. It will be returned in the early afternoon.

Thanks - seems weird but who knows what it will look like from being stuffed in a suitcase from the flight. 

We're going to be gone 16 days for our B2B in September and I'm dreading trying to figure out how to pack.. Do I take 16 pair of underwear, 16 pairs of shorts and 16 T-shirts? I think that  I'm going to have to find a laundromat near PC and get it done before we re board or bite the bullet and spend the money to get the service done