Drink Package Limit!

JarMar

Hi everyone, my husband and I will be honeymooning on the Symphony of the Seas in a few days (This is our first ever cruise!), and I know this has been posted before, however I just spoke to an RC rep who said that Drinks packages include ALL cocktails regardless of price. The $12 limit is only for shots of alcohol, like Tequila, Vodka, etc. Is there any validity to this? I looked at the menus and most cocktails are $13, with many $12 and under, but there are some good cocktails that are all at $14. Has anyone been on this cruise and paid for the drinks package? What is your experience with premium cocktails? For us Canadians, it's pretty expensive so I want to be sure that I am not stuck with something comparable to a Mexican all-inclusive watered down affair. Thanks for your advice in advance! We're really excited to do this!

I have yet to cruise where I was charged more for "normal" or "regular" drinks with the drink package.

Seems like there are different answers on different ships but no issues here. And I get it with the CAD exchange rate you want to know what its actually going to cost.

IF they are going to charge you...it will show on the receipt or just ask before ordering to be safe.

5 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I have yet to cruise where I was charged more for "normal" or "regular" drinks with the drink package.

Seems like there are different answers on different ships but no issues here. And I get it with the CAD exchange rate you want to know what its actually going to cost.

IF they are going to charge you...it will show on the receipt or just ask before ordering to be safe.

Thanks! It's so frustrating to not get a straight answer. I asked the RC agent several times, so are you sure that ALL drinks are included, and it's only SHOTS that are up to $12? He answered yes, but I'm just not comfortable with that answer because everyone says it's $13. The $13 limit certainly opens up the options. I am still hopeful that someone sees this post that has been on the ship and not been charged for cocktails that were $14...

47 minutes ago, JarMar said:

I want to be sure that I am not stuck with something comparable to a Mexican all-inclusive watered down affair.

The drinks should not be watered down, with that said, if you find a bar that you really like, start tipping the bartender $1.00 here $1.00 there eventually over a weeks time they will know who you are and the drinks will not be weak. I know this is rough since you already bought the package and paid gratuities on the package but it just helps out on the stronger pours.

6 minutes ago, JarMar said:

Thanks! It's so frustrating to not get a straight answer. I asked the RC agent several times, so are you sure that ALL drinks are included, and it's only SHOTS that are up to $12? He answered yes, but I'm just not comfortable with that answer because everyone says it's $13. The $13 limit certainly opens up the options. I am still hopeful that someone sees this post that has been on the ship and not been charged for cocktails that were $14...

Oasis class ships are $13, other ships (Older and smaller are $12) but I do not know if anyone can tell you for sure if you will get charged the $1-2 extra, on Royal ships it is hit and miss from bar to bar, one day you might get charged and the next day you may not. But you should be able to cover most drinks with the $13, that includes calling your brand.

If @JLMoran were to post to this he will tell you on the wine, if you got to Vintages that there are some $20 a glass and up I think, and they will probably charge you the overage.

I've been on two ships so far -- Freedom and Anthem. As others have said, on the Quantum Class and Oasis Class ships the package covers any drink up to $13, and in my experience this includes any cocktail you want to order from any bar, even if you request a top-shelf liquor. I'm a margarita drinker, but I always insist on a reposado or anejo tequila -- no Jose Cuervo Gold for me! Ordered several of those on both cruises, selecting brands like 1800 Reposado or Patron Silver, and even some high-end Anejos you can only find in Boleros bar; never once was charged any overage. And those were definitely not watered down! I had to be careful or I'd end up becoming Silly Joe instead of "Why So Serious" Joe. ?

24 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

If @JLMoran were to post to this he will tell you on the wine, if you got to Vintages that there are some $20 a glass and up I think, and they will probably charge you the overage.

Vintages is the one area where you're either going to have a reasonable time finding some decent options that are at or just below the limit, or you'll can find it almost impossible. It all depends and your wine preferences and how big the Vintages is (and thus how large their menu). Freedom's Vintages had a huge wine list with many options that fell under the drink package, along with many others that ranged from just a bit over to to "are-you-freaking-kidding-me-that's-the-price-for-one-glass?!?!?" Anthem's Vintages had a much smaller menu with only a tiny number of options that were at or under the limit.

You're pretty safe to order any mixed drink/shot at the bar as long as they have it in stock. As mentioned above, the only overage I've seen is with certain wines by the glass.  Many bars no longer carry the expensive stuff like Johnny Walker Blue label.  If you are unsure and think there may be an overage, the bartenders will know and be able to tell you if you ask before ordering.

One exception to the cocktail rule of thumb that I've seen lately is if your ship has a bamboo room - you will be charged the overage for their signature drinks on the menu. These drinks are a bit fancier and more involved to make.  I think it's like a dollar and change that you will get charged.

Thanks everyone for trying to answer as best you can. But has anyone actually been on an oasis class ship such as Symphony? It's just odd that the reservations agent told me something different! Either way, I will certainly be posting about this after I come back. 

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I've been on two ships so far -- Freedom and Anthem. As others have said, on the Quantum Class and Oasis Class ships the package covers any drink up to $13, and in my experience this includes any cocktail you want to order from any bar, even if you request a top-shelf liquor. I'm a margarita drinker, but I always insist on a reposado or anejo tequila -- no Jose Cuervo Gold for me! Ordered several of those on both cruises, selecting brands like 1800 Reposado or Patron Silver, and even some high-end Anejos you can only find in Boleros bar; never once was charged any overage. And those were definitely not watered down! I had to be careful or I'd end up becoming Silly Joe instead of "Why So Serious" Joe. ?

Vintages is the one area where you're either going to have a reasonable time finding some decent options that are at or just below the limit, or you'll can find it almost impossible. It all depends and your wine preferences and how big the Vintages is (and thus how large their menu). Freedom's Vintages had a huge wine list with many options that fell under the drink package, along with many others that ranged from just a bit over to to "are-you-freaking-kidding-me-that's-the-price-for-one-glass?!?!?" Anthem's Vintages had a much smaller menu with only a tiny number of options that were at or under the limit.

Vintages on allure I felt was actually much more limited than on freedom.  I found a decent one and just paid the 3 and tax more per glass because otherwise I was buying bottles...which now I’m wondering if that would have been close to a decent deal.  Jane

15 minutes ago, JarMar said:

Thanks everyone for trying to answer as best you can. But has anyone actually been on an oasis class ship such as Symphony? It's just odd that the reservations agent told me something different! Either way, I will certainly be posting about this after I come back. 

I just got off allure.  I didn’t pay extra for any cocktails...I did pay extra for wine by the glass...which was covered I believe up to $12.  I drank a lot of kraken lava flows, st Germaine and champagne, and just about every drink in the champagne bar.  Remembering the schooner bar, everything was covered there.  Will flat out say that I felt on allure the drinks they could make less strong, they did only the on shot...wasn’t a lot of overflowing shots.  But it doesn’t matter with the drink pkg anyway.  All the beers I drank in the pub were covered as well.  Jane

I was on symphony a few months ago. Drink package covers shots, cocktails, beer and glasses of wine. You need to go nuts to go over the $13 limit. Grey goose martinis are under limit.  Only issue was I ordered a double Jameson. I'd have been $4 over but the bartender told me to get 2 singles to stay under!  It's worth the price if you enjoy your drinks and want to try new stuff.

1 hour ago, JarMar said:

Yes. I have used the drink package on Oasis class and it covers drinks up to $13.

34 minutes ago, George L said:

I was on symphony a few months ago. Drink package covers shots, cocktails, beer and glasses of wine. You need to go nuts to go over the $13 limit. Grey goose martinis are under limit.  Only issue was I ordered a double Jameson. I'd have been $4 over but the bartender told me to get 2 singles to stay under!  It's worth the price if you enjoy your drinks and want to try new stuff.

Thank you! all the menu pictures I've seen show cocktails at $13, so I'd be pretty upset if I had to drink highballs the whole time when the package advert says all cocktails. Did they tell you $13 when you were on the ship? I just called RC and the guy said it's $12, but he didn't seem very sure and said to check the blogs... Why can't they just give us a straight answer? ?

1 hour ago, JarMar said:

Understand the contact center phone agents are not paid a lot and possibly have never been on a cruise.  They sit in an office environment in some cases thousands of miles from an ocean.  In any contact center there is constant turn over.  If you are lucky you reach someone who has been around a while and knows some things.  In many cases you reach someone who hasn't been around a very long time.

It's not unusual for inaccurate information to come from phone agents.

I have sailed all Oasis class ships.  The DX package covered drinks up to $13 USD, the same as Quantum class ships.  All ships prior to these two classes (the rest of the fleet) covers drinks up to $12 USD.

There is no distinction between a beer, shot, cocktail or a glass of wine.  If it's over $13 you pay the difference however there are plenty of good choices within the $13 price threshold.

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Understand the contact center phone agents are not paid a lot and possibly have never been on a cruise.  They sit in an office environment in some cases thousands of miles from an ocean.  In any contact center there is constant turn over.  If you are lucky you reach someone who has been around a while and knows some things.  In many cases you reach someone who hasn't been around a very long time.

It's not unusual for inaccurate information to come from phone agents.

I have sailed all Oasis class ships.  The DX package covered drinks up to $13 USD, the same as Quantum class ships.  All ships prior to these two classes (the rest of the fleet) covers drinks up to $12 USD.

There is no distinction between a beer, shot, cocktail or a glass of wine.  If it's over $13 you pay the difference however there are plenty of good choices within the $13 price threshold.

Oh I get that for sure. Is that the case for Twitter as well? Even they say it's $12. I don't know why they can't just be transparent about it. It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult to explain to guests, but I supposed when you're a company as large as them, they don't need to worry about it. People will pay always...Did they tell you this in writing when you were on the ships? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, JarMar said:

Oh I get that for sure. Is that the case for Twitter as well? Even they say it's $12. I don't know why they can't just be transparent about it. It doesn't seem like it should be this difficult to explain to guests, but I supposed when you're a company as large as them, they don't need to worry about it. People will pay always...Did they tell you this in writing when you were on the ships? Thanks!

I know it probably is written somewhere and you don’t know me at all but I would say don’t worry.  Literally I didn’t pay anything for the $13 drinks on allure...and nobody else has.  All the drinks on the cocktail menu came to me with a 0 balance.  This was on the March 24 sailing...  And definitely take @twangsters word...he has sailed a ton!  Jane

30 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

I know it probably is written somewhere and you don’t know me at all but I would say don’t worry.  Literally I didn’t pay anything for the $13 drinks on allure...and nobody else has.  All the drinks on the cocktail menu came to me with a 0 balance.  This was on the March 24 sailing...  And definitely take @twangsters word...he has sailed a ton!  Jane

Thanks! I believe you guys. First time cruisers and I like to have things in order before the trip so I don't need to worry about anything while on it. Vacation is so so important to my mental health !! I appreciate all the comments. Seriously. thank you!

20 minutes ago, JarMar said:

Thanks! I believe you guys. First time cruisers and I like to have things in order before the trip so I don't need to worry about anything while on it. Vacation is so so important to my mental health !! I appreciate all the comments. Seriously. thank you!

You are so welcome!!  I did go try to research.. all the ads and stuff from royal say $12 on selective ships in the fine print.  Which works good and bad lol.  I know I've read 13 before on the Oasis class but I'm but sure if I ever saw it anywhere "official royal". I just know from my experience you are good!!!!  

My first cruise was in 2015...I have never relaxed so much in my life as that very first sea day!  You will have an amazing time!!!  Jane

Here is the current DX PDF from Royal that lists the typical selections available, which are subject to change depending on stocking levels.  

Deluxe_Beverage_Package.pdf

I understand the frustration with no clear definitions.  This is something that Royal is bad at - not clearly articulating the terms and conditions just like with dining packages.  In practice on Oasis class ships it has been a $13 cap.  Even on Navigator in the Bamboo Room the $14 Signature drinks were only charged $1 overage despite the supposed $12 cap.  

49 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

You are so welcome!!  I did go try to research.. all the ads and stuff from royal say $12 on selective ships in the fine print.  Which works good and bad lol.  I know I've read 13 before on the Oasis class but I'm but sure if I ever saw it anywhere "official royal". I just know from my experience you are good!!!!  

My first cruise was in 2015...I have never relaxed so much in my life as that very first sea day!  You will have an amazing time!!!  Jane

Amazing! I am really look forward to it! No cell phone service, no internet. I am going to unwind and forget about the world with new hubby. CANNOT WAIT! ?

It is definitely $13 on Symphony.  You should even read that in any advertisements on board when they are selling the drink package in the teeny print.  The $13 will cover most of the cocktails you can order on board and even most of the specialty cocktails in the specialty restaurants.  I think there are a couple of martinis that are over the limit by $1.  The most likely overage will be on individual glasses of wine.

Your package will also work at the Bionic Bar which is fun to try once.  Don't expect much from the drink, but it is a novelty.

Playmakers has a handful of specialty drinks that are covered.  They have a tasty jalapeno pineapple margarita there if you like a little heat.

Wonderland also has a bunch of fun drinks.  You do not have to be dining at the restaurant in order to go to the bar there.  Go experience their whimsical take on some fancy drinks.

Have a great time..Symphony is a great ship!

15 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Not written anywhere that I am aware of. Just something all knew and expected. Perhaps @Matt has it in writing somewhere?

I don't know it's written, just one of those policies that has been consistently offered on Oasis & Quantum Class.  Of course, drink package documentation seems to change fairly often.

3 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

It is definitely $13 on Symphony.  You should even read that in any advertisements on board when they are selling the drink package in the teeny print.  The $13 will cover most of the cocktails you can order on board and even most of the specialty cocktails in the specialty restaurants.  I think there are a couple of martinis that are over the limit by $1.  The most likely overage will be on individual glasses of wine.

Your package will also work at the Bionic Bar which is fun to try once.  Don't expect much from the drink, but it is a novelty.

Playmakers has a handful of specialty drinks that are covered.  They have a tasty jalapeno pineapple margarita there if you like a little heat.

Wonderland also has a bunch of fun drinks.  You do not have to be dining at the restaurant in order to go to the bar there.  Go experience their whimsical take on some fancy drinks.

Have a great time..Symphony is a great ship!

Thanks! Your Jalepeno Pineapple Margarita is calling my name! I will be having many of those! Thanks for the feedback!