Navigator of the Seas (June 24-28) Semi-live blog

StayFrosty

Hello everyone,

I have been enjoying these live blogs for over a year so I thought I would contribute. So let's start with some background.

Who: Me and my wife (Teachers!)

What: A cruise on the newly refurbished Navigator of the Seas

When: June 24-28, 2019 + flying in the day before.

Where: Nassau and Coco Cay

Why:  We just booked this trip (practically last minute!) as we decided we wanted to have a getaway before we think of expanding our family but didn't want to spend too much time away from our lovely toddler-aged daughter.  Why not bring her, you ask? Well, even though people have shared wonderful experiences that they have had with their young children on board, it was not the type of vacation we were looking for.  We have done short cruises on Enchantment and Majesty before and wanted something more modern but on a short cruise and Navigator fit the bill nicely.  If they wouldn't have upgraded and larger ships on these itineraries, I don't think we would be doing a cruise (someday our child(ren) will be older and we will do a longer cruise)!

Excursions: Nothing planned.  Maybe the flight sim for me in Nassau and a massage for my wife.  We were big fans of the "rustic" Coco Cay and were hesitant about all of the upgrades to the island.  But after hearing such glowing reviews, I am excited to give it an honest try.

I am excited to try all of the new amenities on Navigator: Bamboo Room, Lime and the Coconut, Playmakers (Team Drink Package), the waterslides, FlowRider, escape room, and ice skating. We might even try some specialty dining for the first time.  Maybe Hooked for lunch and Jamie's for a dinner?

56 days to go! I'll leave you with a "historical" photo of Coco Cay.

IMG_1216.JPG

7 hours ago, StayFrosty said:

Why not bring her, you ask? Well, even though people have shared wonderful experiences that they have had with their young children on board, it was not the type of vacation we were looking for. 

Amen to that!  +1 for leaving those kids at home once in a while.  I can't wait to cruise without mine in July for Symphony!

7 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Wow, looks like @Matt and @Lovetocruise2002 started a serious trend with WAAAY in-advance "blog preambles"! ? ?

Umm...you mean to say @Matt started a serious trend. 

Although, @StayFrosty is way ahead of the game compared to both of us!  Must be itching to get the school year over and done with.  I know I am!

14 hours ago, Sweety said:

I am a teacher and I will be on the cruise with 20 family members. Woohoo!!!!! I need this cruise. Have fun. 

6 hours ago, MIkew0805 said:

I will be on this sailing as well. I was supposed to be on the cancelled Feb 24 sailing, so after that disappointment I am looking forward to this cruise. Excited to see not only the changes in Navigator, but Coco as well. 

Mini-Group Cruise!

22 hours ago, StayFrosty said:

Students’ last day = May 29th!

22 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

So lucky!  #jealous

Here in Ontario, we go right to the end of June.  The very end.

But then I get on a cruise 6 days later with the RC Blog gang!

When do you go back to school?

I teach in England. Our schools are in until around 20th July and back beginning if September. (Although I get an extra couple of weeks as I teach at a private school and we finish on 5th July ?)

On 4/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, StayFrosty said:

It was up in the air whether this was going to happen or not. So I was just excited that I was able to book it that I wanted to share my enthusiasm!

We've all been there! ✋

• 3 weeks later...

So update on the cruise planning. I booked Jamies for the last evening.  I have never done specialty dining as my wife and I are big fans of the main dining room but since it will be a couple of years before I will be able to cruise again, why not.  Also finally, the Escape Room has appeared in the cruise planner!  We are booked for after dinner while in Nassau.  I love escape rooms and the ones on Royal's ships look more elaborate than any I have been to.  I am not sure how the larger groups will work but I have only heard good things.

We are still not sure what we want to do in Nassau.  We are back and forth between beach day or staying on the ship.  Any thoughts? 

I'll leave you with some photos from 2015 of my students performing in Nassau IMG_0613.thumb.JPG.81c3cd5941396235a643a5507c68a841.JPG

in the Centrum on Enchantment of the Seas

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.d16b12a3c1d65548b8d3bb8a48d62727.JPG

and the tired old lady herself

IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.7f78f8f590417e6d172a1d7cf0da3b84.JPG

On 4/29/2019 at 9:23 AM, StayFrosty said:

56 days

@StayFrostyWe love the planning and the countdown. Have a great cruise!

On 4/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, JLMoran said:

Wow, looks like @Matt and @Lovetocruise2002 started a serious trend with WAAAY in-advance "blog preambles"! ? ?

Is it too soon for me to start this one??

Screenshot_20190517-090459_Chrome.thumb.jpg.eab92a3fd660eacc0c60fada00968f92.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2019 at 7:49 AM, StayFrosty said:

So update on the cruise planning. I booked Jamies for the last evening.  I have never done specialty dining as my wife and I are big fans of the main dining room but since it will be a couple of years before I will be able to cruise again, why not.  Also finally, the Escape Room has appeared in the cruise planner!  We are booked for after dinner while in Nassau.  I love escape rooms and the ones on Royal's ships look more elaborate than any I have been to.  I am not sure how the larger groups will work but I have only heard good things.

We are still not sure what we want to do in Nassau.  We are back and forth between beach day or staying on the ship.  Any thoughts? 

I'll leave you with some photos from 2015 of my students performing in Nassau IMG_0613.thumb.JPG.81c3cd5941396235a643a5507c68a841.JPG

in the Centrum on Enchantment of the Seas

IMG_0617.thumb.JPG.d16b12a3c1d65548b8d3bb8a48d62727.JPG

and the tired old lady herself

IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.7f78f8f590417e6d172a1d7cf0da3b84.JPG

Love these pics!! Are you a music teacher?  I have a special love as my 2 oldest are band nerds (trombone and percussion) and my youngest does show choir.  I personally just appreciate everyone else’s talent!  Jane

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Are you a music teacher?

No, not technically anyway.  I teach high school government and economics.  But I have been on marching band staffs for 12 years in addition to my own band and vocal experiences.  I was on that trip as part of the marching band staff.  

3 hours ago, StayFrosty said:

No, not technically anyway.  I teach high school government and economics.  But I have been on marching band staffs for 12 years in addition to my own band and vocal experiences.  I was on that trip as part of the marching band staff.  

I'm married to a high school social studies teacher...AP world and Euro.  My oldest just finished 4 years with University of Illinois' marching illini and my son is on the pep band at Iowa State (he was one of the dancing dinosaurs if you've seen the halftime show)!  The trip looked awesome!  Jane

BREAKING NEWS! We interrupt your obsessive reading about cruises to bring you this important report. We are no longer in “Guarantee” limbo.  We have been assigned a spacious ocean view balcony on desk 8 starboard rear. More news as it becomes available.

We now take you back to your regular cruise programming.

7 hours ago, StayFrosty said:

BREAKING NEWS! We interrupt your obsessive reading about cruises to bring you this important report. We are no longer in “Guarantee” limbo.  We have been assigned a spacious ocean view balcony on desk 8 starboard rear. More news as it becomes available.

We now take you back to your regular cruise programming.

Great post....congrats! Will be following with interest. We are doing this cruise in October. Happy sailing.

Hello!!  We will be on the cruise as well and we cannot wait to get away from what has been the wettest, dreariest spring in Michigan that I can ever remember.  My husband and I are teachers, too.  We will be on this cruise with 186 others in our group!   Yep, you read that right.  We have our 13-year-old daughter and 39 dancers with us that will be performing on the ship in the Main Theatre.  We’d love it if you’d take a few minutes of your sea day to come watch our kids.   Anyway, I’m looking forward to your trip report, too.  See you in a week! ???

2 hours ago, Bbjunkie said:

Hello!!  We will be on the cruise as well and we cannot wait to get away from what has been the wettest, dreariest spring in Michigan that I can ever remember.  My husband and I are teachers, too.  We will be on this cruise with 186 others in our group!   Yep, you read that right.  We have our 13-year-old daughter and 39 dancers with us that will be performing on the ship in the Main Theatre.  We’d love it if you’d take a few minutes of your sea day to come watch our kids.   Anyway, I’m looking forward to your trip report, too.  See you in a week! ???

I will be there.

B1BC06DB-351F-4D91-887B-289148A2FC8B.jpeg.66e84a9c60c96d3e466b79fddeb2d7c9.jpeg

One week to go!!!!!

Here is a little update. Booked a massage for my wife while I am off at the flight simulator, but mainly I am trying to finish all of the stuff around the house that needs done before we leave. 

We have an uncovered exterior stair well in the rear of our house.  We have a toddler, so we’re are constantly worried she will fall down those stairs.  My in-laws are staying with her and my two collies while we are on the cruise. 74C9A165-DE6C-4A06-91CA-9169080FBD44.thumb.jpeg.fccab397571536c7e401cd326536ebe1.jpeg

I didn’t want them to have to worry about it so I got it fenced in. Sounds good right? Wrong, my younger collie is afraid of the gate and will no longer go down the stairs...

EBD382A5-819C-4881-8C1A-FCFDE93BD849.jpeg.106322d5b00689eb77fd397ff9090b9d.jpeg

Oh well, cruise in a week!