Very early flight arrival and very late flight departure

Jasmine

Hi all! 

I’m taking my parents to a much anticipated vacation to Alaska on the Ovation!

We have a very early flight arrival, 9am! Do you think we can board the ship around 10am? 

Also our flight departure time is at 11pm, would the cruise hold our luggage?  Or what should we do with our luggage until our flight time?

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Jasmine said:

Hi all! 

I’m taking my parents to a much anticipated vacation to Alaska on the Ovation!

We have a very early flight arrival, 9am! Do you think we can board the ship around 10am? 

Also our flight departure time is at 11pm, would the cruise hold our luggage?  Or what should we do with our luggage until our flight time?

Thanks!

When are you sailing? We're on the June 21st sailing.

You might not make it by quite 10am - once you deplane, get your luggage and procure whatever transportation you are using to get to port, but you'll be close (depends on wonderful Seattle traffic, which is nothing less than a bitch). The cruise terminal will probably open by 10, but they may not start boarding until 11.

We were looking into options for luggage post-cruise since we don't fly out until nearly 6pm, and they do offer luggage storage pre and post cruise (yay!) Here's the link to the cruise terminal site:

https://www.portseattle.org/places/smith-cove-cruise-terminal-pier-91

Airlines do not have the best track record about being on time. I'd be a little nervous about flying and embarking on the same day. I always fly out the day before just in case and spend the night locally.

Its optimistic thinking you will land on time and be able to board one hour later considering all the steps in-between. Deplaning, picking up luggage, going through Canadian customs (assuming you are coming from the US) finding a ride, travel time, curb check in of bags, check in with RCCL. Boarding usually starts almost as soon as the previous cruise passengers are all off and the ship has cleared customs. The ship typically does not leave until early evening between 4pm and 6pm. If the plane is anywhere near on time, you should be fine. At worst, you may have to sit in the terminal for a while and wait.

As for the late flight. I guess the issue is what to do and where to keep the bags. 

Baggage storage

CDS Baggage provides storage services at the Canada Place cruise terminal. For security reasons, short-term baggage storage is available to cruise passengers only. For more information, contact CDS Baggage, phone 604-683-3696

There are lots of things in Vancouver to do for the day. Have fun.

3 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

Its optimistic thinking you will land on time and be able to board one hour later considering all the steps in-between. Deplaning, picking up luggage, going through Canadian customs (assuming you are coming from the US) finding a ride, travel time, curb check in of bags, check in with RCCL.

Or coming from Canada, since the cruise leaves out of Seattle ?  But yes, adding that in if it's an issue.

The disembark will be max around 9 AM , which meant that from 9 AM until late night you will need to roam around.

I would consider to rent a car , take an hotel , put the suitcases at the hotel (which you can check in max at 3 PM), do a tour ,  rest for few hours in the hotel and go to the airport. yes it will cost extra money but I think this day going to be not easy.

1 hour ago, Ditchdoc said:

Airlines do not have the best track record about being on time. I'd be a little nervous about flying and embarking on the same day. I always fly out the day before just in case and spend the night locally.

While I would personally never fly in the day of (if I can't get in the day before, it's not the trip for me), it's a little inaccurate to say airlines don't have the best track record. In 2019, US airlines have so far been on-time 76.18% of the time (and keep in mind, that number will likely go up as there has been a lot of bad winter weather earlier this calendar year that would have impacted that). 2018 was 79.16%. I'm not saying 20-24% delayed/diverted is the greatest thing in the world, but it's also not as bad as many people think.