First Time Royal Cruiser

jpitt65

My husband and I have been on many cruises...but they have all been on Carnival Cruises. At the suggestion of my manager, we decided to book Harmony of the Seas for January 12-19, 2020. I am very anal about watching You Tube videos and reading blogs to get more information on on ship and about Royal Caribbean in general. I told my husband that I wont need a map of the ship by the time that we leave because of all of the videos that I have watched. I have an extensive check list and have broken down the cost of the trip into a schedule of when things will be booked/paid. We have booked a room overlooking the Boardwalk and are looking forward to our vacation.

However, I still want to ask fellow bloggers to post any tips and tricks that you have learned as a cruiser through the years and on the Harmony specifically. 

Haven't been on the Harmony but have sailed 20+ times, mostly on RCCL.

Biggest tip is don't overbook yourself with activities. Leave yourself some time to sleep late, or stay up late, and enjoy the ship. Maybe there is one port you can skip and stay onboard when most of the passengers are off. That is heaven because the pool and the bars and all the amenities are yours to enjoy without a crowd. 

We have been to most if not all the  ports in the Caribbean and now we book itineraries with lots of sea days so we can just chill out and enjoy the beauty of the ship and what it has to offer. 

Other than that, a couple of practical tips are most suitcases will fit under the bed. You might have to open it to get it under. We bring a plastic garbage bag to put dirty clothes in and then put the full bag in the suitcase under the bed.

Bring a small bag with a shoulder strap that you can wear day and night for your cell phone and see pass card. I now bring two-a casual for day and a black dressy one for night. 

Take a safety pin for emergency repairs. Last cruise I went to put on a new bra which I had never worn but washed before wearing. I didn't notice when I packed that the plastic "thingy" you slide on the strap  had broken in the washer and couldn't be worn. Fortunately, I had my emergency safety pin. (It is still in use!)

Enjoy the cruise!

I find a big issue with energy.

We are retired. We both get up pretty early. I'm usually up around 5am, looking for that first cup of coffee. I enjoy walking around the upper deck and watching the sun rise. Its pretty quiet and serene before a few thousand people start milling about.

Now we spend an active day eating, doing excursions, engaging in various on board activities, going to dinner, a show and having a few drinks along the way.

We always have this grand plan of being up late, listing to music and dancing the night away.

The reality is that by about 10pm, we are sound asleep in our cabin.

This year we are scheduled to cruise on the same ship a week or so before you are. We will be at sea for new years. I am already promising my self I WLL BE AWAKE to see the new year come in ?

10 hours ago, jpitt65 said:

I wont need a map of the ship by the time that we leave because of all of the videos that I have watched

You definitely will. Harmony is lovely and huge!!!! It took a few days to not get lost and even then there are some weird roadblocks - you wind up having to walk across more than you think.

I was on Harmony last June and going again this May. We love it for our family vacation!

One tip I have is to reserve a dinner in the Solarium one night. It's so good and FREE! Yes, you read that right FREE!!! You do have reserve it in advance on Cruise Planner under dining, but that's not too big of a deal. Right? ?

The food is Mediterranean inspired. Salads, appetizers and desserts are served buffet style, while your entree is ordered off of a menu and brought to your table. My sons still reminisce about the calamari appetizer! Everything tasted so fresh!

It wasn't busy the night we went, which was also a plus for me. It was our table of six, a few two tops and a larger crew table in the back. It was nice to have the place to "ourselves" almost! Quiet and not hectic like the MDR or Windjammer can be. 

Hope you are able to enjoy my yummy tip! Have Fun!

11 hours ago, jpitt65 said:

However, I still want to ask fellow bloggers to post any tips and tricks that you have learned as a cruiser through the years and on the Harmony specifically. 

Welcome to the club!

All your answers are here! 

Is that  a picture of your husband? He kinda looks familiar. ?