New Table Please!

FManke

We took our oldest on a cruise when he was 5 we had a newly retired principal and teach at our table.  You could see when we sat down they had a confused look like someone was punking them.  As the week went on they confessed that they both agreed at the first of the cruise if there were any kids around at dinner they were going to ask to switch but stuck around all week and ended up sending us a lovely note after the cruise.  

8 hours ago, FManke said:

Anybody had a MDR tablemate so obnoxious that you asked to be moved to another table? (Family doesn't count! ?)

Is that even an option with Tradition Dining?

Just curious. 

Wait, family doesn't count WHY? (And that's why I would never cruise with family beyond my DH, lol)

8 hours ago, FManke said:

Anybody had a MDR tablemate so obnoxious that you asked to be moved to another table? (Family doesn't count! ?)

Just curious. 

I haven't had to do it, but from what I understand it's certainly an option if your table mates are not compatible with you.

Yes, absolutely. On our second cruise, we were seated for 11 nights with two couples who complained about every meal to the waiter and the supervisor. They thought the sauce wasn't right for the dish and this was too cold or tool hot or they prepared it better at some restaurant in NYC The waiter was so nervous bringing them food that his hands shook. One night we received a basket of chocolate covered strawberries from the head chef apologizing for the food and service. We were so embarrassed because we loved the food and the only problem with the service was the complaining couples.

So on the next cruise we determined that we had paid for this cruise and we would not be miserable. My husband went downstairs when we got on the ship to find our table and there was a group of elderly women also waiting to talk to the Maitre D. He overheard one of them say, "I have my table and I have my seat and I am not moving!" Sure enough they seated us at their table. It was a group of 6 elderly women and 1 gentleman who was deaf and us. We knew this would not be a good match. and this was a 12 night cruise. So the next day we found the Maitre D again and asked to be moved. We were seated at a table with 3 couples close to our age and had a wonderful time. 

It does happen and it should because you are paying for the cruise and should be satisfied.

We too had a very obnoxious couple at our table.   One piece of their luggage was missing and they  constantly complained about it.

As far as I know it was never located 

They also complained about everything concerning the food    

We did not asked to be moved , however after the first night we only saw them again one more night ,thank goodness 

Ever since that ,the first thing I do when I get on board the ship is I go directly to the dining room , check out where my table is and if I do not like it I contact the maître d’ and have it changed. 

I just learned the other day from this website , that you can contact Royal ahead of time,  if you want a specific table .   You can contact them at RCLdining@rccl.com

I just contacted them for a table for four at a window and within 24 hours I had a confirmation 

Love this blog!

12 minutes ago, MindiLou said:

I just learned the other day from this website , that you can contact Royal ahead of time,  if you want a specific table .   You can contact them at RCLdining@rccl.com

I just contacted them for a table for four at a window and within 24 hours I had a confirmation 

Love this blog!

How far ahead of your cruise did you do this?  I'd LOVE to surprise our friends with an awesome table!

12 hours ago, FManke said:

Just curious. 

I had some teenage girls at my table (i was 36 at the time).  They were fine to talk to until they decided to bring these completely wasted guys they met on the boat to dinner with them and proceed to invite them to sit at the table with us.  We had a 6 top but only 4 assigned to the table so they figured they could just invite anyone.  These guys were so obnoxious and turned the girls into almost the same as them. These guys shows up in tank tops and swim trunks so i quietly notified the head waiter.  Nothing was done the first night so when they showed up again the second night i was pretty firm with the head waiter asking to move me or move them.  

By the third night the girls and guys didnt show up anymore but it appears there is so much opposition to saying anything controversial that they were OK ruining my trip to make sure these 20 somethings werent inconvenienced.  

The answer is YES it does happen, especially with the drink packages nowadays.  

We also had several bad experiences with obnoxious people at tables.  The first thing we did when boarding was go to the request desk at the main dining room and request a table for two.  They always found us a table. Now we are high enough on the food chain (no pun intended) that we get our TA to request a table for two and we always get it.