General first time cruise questions. Alaska 3019

Deepa

So this is technically my first cruise...  and I have a few  questions.  We are going to Alaska on Radiance of the seas on July 26.  

1.) How do you make requests for your stateroom?  I’m traveling with kids and would like my fridge emptied.  

2.) Im traveling with an 11 year old and a 6 year old... will there be things for them to do?  My 11 y/o thinks he is going to be board.

3.)  I know this is an older ship... I have read mixed reviews... insights?

thanks in advance!

Dee

Hi Dee and welcome to the boards ?‍♀️

1) On embarkation day, when your room is ready, you'll meet your cabin attendant and can ask them to empty the fridge. 

2) There's the kid's club 'Adventure Ocean ', pool, kids' pool, sports court, rock climbing wall, games arcade (for an extra charge) and there'll be things in tbe cruise compass aimed at kids so should be plenty for them to do. 

3) I haven't been on Radiance so can't help you there. I personally use an app called 'Ship Mate' to familiarise myself with the layout of tube ship and venues. There are also reviews on there (though take with a pinch of salt as with all online reviews)  

Hi Dee.  I have been on the Radiance twice (Hawaii & Alaska) without children.  She is an older ship and I would not hesitate to book her again.  Admittedly,  most of our time was off ship because of the itineraries.  Envious - we loved Alaska and consider it our favorite cruise.

This is a great cruise!

In addition to kids activities on the ship, some things they will probably like along the way include:

Visits to a couple of glaciers. Make sure to have layers of clothes. Generally the weather will be nice (hopefully) but at Hubbard Glacier, it WILL be cold. Very cold.

Plan on the White Pass and Yukon Railway trip at Skagway. It is a narrow gauge rail trip that last a couple of hours through the mountains you (and the kids) will not soon forget.

Icy Point straight is not very developed (at least the last time I was there) but … there is a very good chance that from the ship or dock you can see whales. Maybe a lot of whales. Probably more whales then even whale watching excursions. If the kids have phones or cameras, make a contest of the best whale photos etc.

Check the available excursions at each port. There will probably be something everyone will enjoy along the way such as lumberjack shows, jeep safaris, even float plane sightseeing trips or helicopters that land on glaciers, sled dogs, the proverbial zip lines and more. 

I cant say they will be entertained 100% of the time but I'm guessing they will be talking about the highlights for a long time. 

4 hours ago, hayley_bopp said:

2) There's the kid's club 'Adventure Ocean ', pool, kids' pool, sports court, rock climbing wall, games arcade (for an extra charge) and there'll be things in tbe cruise compass aimed at kids so should be plenty for them to do. 

We took our kids on their first cruise in 2017 and had a blast.  They were both worried they would get bored, but our 12yr daughter made some cool friends in the teen area and our 10yr son always wanted to go to adventure ocean to hang out with new friends.  We also encouraged them to go 'play', but would also have strict check-in times and rules.  The Adventure Ocean will have a lot of things planned - have them take a highlighter and at breakfast go over the cruise compass and have the highlight things they would like to do or make sure they don't want to miss.  Hope ya'll have a great time - kids might be a little older in 3019, eh ? 

9 hours ago, Deepa said:

1.) How do you make requests for your stateroom?  I’m traveling with kids and would like my fridge emptied.  

Fridge should already be empty. Royal doesn’t stock a mini bar anymore. There is a form if you want them to deliver something. 

My kids were blessed as military brats to live in AK for several yrs.  We took them camping every weekend between May and Sept.  They will not be bored.  You can entertain them with finding wildlife they never see in the lower 48.    That is what we did with our kids during camping weekends.

Now for you, as parents, this is probably the only time I say get an interior cabin.  There really isn't any darkness in AK in July, until about 3 a.m. and it is rising by 5 a.m.  If your 6 yo needs a room totally dark, than maybe an interior is a better option.  

I would also say, that it will not be as cold as you may think on land when it comes to July.   Caveat, the glacier tours.   I would dress them like an onion.  A nice polar fleece, with a short sleeve polo should work.  

We lived in Anchorage.  Our kids would wear shorts, and polos during the day.  At night time they put on a sweatshirt.   

My last piece of advice for dressing in AK, is AK is known to SPIT aka misty rain.  Pack jackets that can do both.  Outer jacket is water repellent, but has a zip away polar fleece interior lining.  Right now you probably can find them on sale since winter is ending.  Again, it goes with peeling like an onion.  If it is going to rain that day, but warm, you are going to want that outer shell.  If it is going to be sunny, but chilly you want the polar fleece.  

1 hour ago, Fuzzywuzzy said:

Your first cruise is an Alaska sailing!  Way to kick off your cruising adventures. You'll love it.

Yea I turn 40 this year and wanted to go somewhere I have never been before.  I was told the sites are breathtaking.  I just hope it’s as good as I’m hoping it’s going to be in my head. 

Don't expect too much.  AK is amazing. I just don't want you going in and thinking you will see all of this wild life.  The sceanary will be breath taking.  However, if you expect a Moose, a Bear, Dall Ram on land at every port you will be disappointed.  Same for whales.

Take some binoculars with you.  

While I haven't been on Radiance, I did sail on Jewel, one of her sister ships.  They may not be the newest ships, with the flashiest stuff, but they are BEAUTIFUL and perfect for Alaska. I was spoiled by taking an Alaskan cruise as my first cruise - especially with Royal Caribbean.  We did see tons of whales (literally, I guess) on our first Alaskan cruise, but that was in September, and apparently they are beginning their southward migration around that time.  We did not see as many when we went in June (or we weren't watching as much).  Welcome to the forums, ask as many questions as you like (this is an AMAZING group of people) and be sure to let us know how you enjoyed your cruise once you're back.