Switching rooms with another party

2 hours ago, RatedPG said:

When traveling in a group booked in different staterooms, can parties/families switch rooms?

Yes.  Royal Caribbean doesn't care where anyone sleeps or hangs out !  The only thing that you may have to worry about is having keys for the different rooms but you can go to Guest Services and have additional keys made for the rooms as long as they can verify that everyone is in the same party.

Here is a possible scenario.  I’m in a stateroom by myself.  I might give my “bigger room” to a family of 4 or 5 and I will stay in their interior room.

I’m thinking the cabin steward will not like that.  I don’t know how gratuities are computed for each crew member.

11 hours ago, RatedPG said:

Here is a possible scenario.  I’m in a stateroom by myself.  I might give my “bigger room” to a family of 4 or 5 and I will stay in their interior room.

I’m thinking the cabin steward will not like that.  I don’t know how gratuities are computed for each crew member.

Yeah, that might be pushing it.

Is this hypothetical or a real scenario?  Depending on when you book the room, you might not even be able to book a room for 4 or 5 by yourself (or with 2 people). 

Everyone’s key card will also open their original room. There can be extra key cards made, that just open doors. They really exist so parents can access their minor children’s rooms. 

RCL would likely lose money in this scenario, compared to what they would charge if people booked into the rooms they plan to stay in. 

Just now, karl_nj said:

Yeah, that might be pushing it.

Is this hypothetical or a real scenario?  Depending on when you book the room, you might not even be able to book a room for 4 or 5 by yourself (or with 2 people). 

Everyone’s key card will also open their original room. There can be extra key cards made, that just open doors. They really exist so parents can access their minor children’s rooms. 

RCL would likely lose money in this scenario, compared to what they would charge if people booked into the rooms they plan to stay in. 

It's something I plan to do, given the chance.

Here is the actual situation...

I am booked (by myself) in an Ocean View Balcony room right now.  I made a bid for a Grand Suite on Royal Up.  I'm thinking, if I win the bid, I'd like to let one of the families in my group (of 8 families) use it instead.  One possible family, a couple with their son (11) and daughter (4) is booked in an interior room.

1 minute ago, RatedPG said:

It's something I plan to do, given the chance.

Here is the actual situation...

I am booked (by myself) in an Ocean View Balcony room right now.  I made a bid for a Grand Suite on Royal Up.  I'm thinking, if I win the bid, I'd like to let one of the families in my group (of 8 families) use it instead.  One possible family, a couple with their son (11) and daughter (4) is booked in an interior room.

Ah, that's very nice.  I assumed you were trying to do some sort of triple points C&A thing involving booking a junior suite.

So in that case, I don't think there would be a difference in the amount of money that Royal would make.  But I think you might be right about the cabin steward and his gratuities, since officially it will still just be you in the room.  The industry moving to the auto-gratuity has really made tipping more opaque. 

We had a similar situation where two people didn't show up due to medical reasons.  It was mostly expected that they would not show so we had split the reservations if the two people didn't show we would still have a GS and a two ocean view rooms.  I officially moved to the GS and now we had two people alone each in an Ocean View.   (FYI.  I didn't get the C&A points for the GS but I did get the gold card.) 

The two sisters stayed in the Ocean View next to the GS leaving an empty cabin.  That empty cabin was technically not empty because it was used by my cousins family of four that was next to it so it didn't go to waste.

Confusing I know but we were trying to make sure we got the rooms we paid. 

But the issue was with our cabin attendant.  He was not happy cleaning an Ocean View cabin with two people and only getting tips for one.  The other room attendant didn't care because he cleaned both rooms so it was the same money for him.  Technically he got tips for an extra person he didn't clean up after.  The GS was fine because I officially moved.  Our cabin attendant wanted us to officially move the one person to the ocean view so he would get the correct tips. 

I assured him I would cover the tips and gave him $100 dollars to ease his pain.  After that he seemed happy and didn't worry about it anymore.

I would think the suite attendant might not be happy getting automatic tips for one person when there is a family of four in the GS.

3 hours ago, Nomad said:

We had a similar situation where two people didn't show up due to medical reasons.  It was mostly expected that they would not show so we had split the reservations if the two people didn't show we would still have a GS and a two ocean view rooms.  I officially moved to the GS and now we had two people alone each in an Ocean View.   (FYI.  I didn't get the C&A points for the GS but I did get the gold card.) 

The two sisters stayed in the Ocean View next to the GS leaving an empty cabin.  That empty cabin was technically not empty because it was used by my cousins family of four that was next to it so it didn't go to waste.

Confusing I know but we were trying to make sure we got the rooms we paid. 

But the issue was with our cabin attendant.  He was not happy cleaning an Ocean View cabin with two people and only getting tips for one.  The other room attendant didn't care because he cleaned both rooms so it was the same money for him.  Technically he got tips for an extra person he didn't clean up after.  The GS was fine because I officially moved.  Our cabin attendant wanted us to officially move the one person to the ocean view so he would get the correct tips. 

I assured him I would cover the tips and gave him $100 dollars to ease his pain.  After that he seemed happy and didn't worry about it anymore.

I would think the suite attendant might not be happy getting automatic tips for one person when there is a family of four in the GS.

I hope Royal will allow me to make for switch "official" for the sake of the cabin steward.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:14 PM, RatedPG said:

I hope Royal will allow me to make for switch "official" for the sake of the cabin steward.

I would think they would let you switch rooms.  I believe one person from the original reservations has to stay in the room and that person needs to be an adult. 

That's how we had to do it.  Talk to customer service when you get on and let them know what you want to do.  Maybe officially you can switch three people and get a extra key for the the alternate cabins.  At least you would still have Suite Lounge but one person in the GS would technically be in the Inside Cabin so they would not have Suite Lounge access.  But just being in the GS is really nice and they would appreciate the extra room.  The Cabin attendant is still getting tips for 4 people so he is not going to feel cheated.

Good luck with it all.  It took us a while to get it worked out.

• 10 months later...
10 hours ago, cccseaton said:

Hello Girls Trip we have 3 rooms booked: Each young lady booked with their mother however we would like to switch rooms within the 3 book, Can Guest Service move the younger ladies to 1 room and switch the moms to one of the other cabins ? 

If the cruise is far enough out and the "young ladies" are old enough, you can change passengers ahead of time (you just need to keep one adult that was originally on the cabin in the cabin).

But you don't need to "switch" (if the young ladies are kids or you're close to sailing), you can get two extra keys for the two young ladies moving to room C and an extra key for whichever room the other mom is going to crash in. Just bring the involved parties to Guest Services.

• 1 year later...

We have a cruise booked for 6-1-22 and in one room we have our adult daughter and 2 kids, ages 9 & 10. 
The adult daughter cannot go now so we need to move the two kids to our room. 
We have 2 more adults that we want to add to the trip in their own cabin. 
Can we move the 2 children to our room, upgrade to a bigger room and give their original room to the two new adults we are adding to the trip? 

1 hour ago, Trish331 said:

We have a cruise booked for 6-1-22 and in one room we have our adult daughter and 2 kids, ages 9 & 10. 
Can we move the 2 children to our room, upgrade to a bigger room and give their original room to the two new adults we are adding to the trip? 

No, not the way you described it.  In order to keep the reservation (and pricing) at least 1 person from the original reservation must remain in the cabin.

There may be a way to shift people around but it would be very complicated.  The first thing I would do is price out 2 brand new rooms to see what the price would be to just rebook everything.  If the $$ is significant, you might be able to shift folks around so that you don't lose the pricing on your current room but it might be more trouble than it is worth.

3 hours ago, Trish331 said:

If you booked by Sept 30 you would be losing the double points if you cancelled  a reservation, so if that is the case you might want to "move the room" using the same reservation.