Favorite Ports Without Excursions?

FManke

Costa Maya..the port area is massive and although it's a very theme park-ified version of a port, there is a lot to keep you entertained within the confines of it including a pool.  It is also extremely easy to walk through the port to the taxi area and for $4 per person take a tram shuttle ride to Mahahual where you can walk the boardwalk along the beach and grab drinks or some food at any of the beachfront restaurants or resorts.  Then just hop a taxi back to the port when you're done.

Bermuda, but only if the ship is doing an overnight stay. Great island to just explore and see what's there, and you have the freedom to try out whatever catches your fancy as you wander since there's no rush back to the ship. And if you just want to hang out somewhere and enjoy a few drinks, that's real easy too!

Lisbon - ship docks right next to the start of the old town and I can be enjoying a very good €2 large glass of vino verde within 10 minutes of getting off the ship. Also lots of fantastic places to see, eat at and shopping shopping all within walking distance. 

Barcelona is a close second but you need (really) to get the shuttle bus from the ship to the edge of town. 

0123190956_HDR.thumb.jpg.fd46fe466841741160035620b4bc2795.jpg0123191012_HDR.thumb.jpg.e48e6e6abd2b2bf82ec54e2560b4e159.jpg0123190940_HDR.thumb.jpg.c4f5a8556c0ce5c539aa773499a7bd1a.jpg0123191532.thumb.jpg.708e9362a61f1c1f6da524bd6fb7574b.jpg0123191447.thumb.jpg.46dac6d1ee7466345e6a66ee04f2abeb.jpgPlacing my vote for Willemstad, Curacao! A short walk across the walking bridge to the city where you have so many places to visit. Some highlights of what we did were the floating market, tasting Blue Curacao, visiting the oldest synagogue in the Western Hemisphere, strolling the streets of brightly colored buildings and taking lots of photos. 

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

drink real espresso while standing (as Italian do) and eat excellent Pizza.  

If you drink it whilst standing, it will cost you about €1. If you sit down, the price will at least double.

Also, as you have to pay about €1 to use a 'public' toilet in Italy, you're as well to go to a bar, order a standing coffee and then use their facilities ?

1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

If you drink it whilst standing, it will cost you about €1. If you sit down, the price will at least double.

Also, as you have to pay about €1 to use a 'public' toilet in Italy, you're as well to go to a bar, order a standing coffee and then use their facilities ?

Yes , that is the best way to do it ? ,  by the way , the real price should be about 0.6 - 0.7 Euros  but 1 Euro is also OK. I am not a big coffee drinker but every time I am going to Italy I enjoy the espresso over there. will check it again in few days.  

St John's, New Brunswick, Halifax, Quebec City  -  all were very walk-able, good shopping (not "port shopping" with all of the same gold/jewelry, souvenir stuff). We always manage to find good bars or brew pubs and decent to excellent restaurants.  #RCBlogGroupCruiseOct2020 (<--- that's too long, gonna have to work on that one)

@hayley_bopp I agree that you could get on a shuttle and get to Las Ramblas on your own and walk, shop and eat. But the first time to visit, maybe it would be good to talk the Gaudi tour and the Picasso museum tour. We were there two nights and took the tours the first day and intended to go back the second day for shopping etc. However, it was pouring rain both days.  So we toured in the downpour the first day and stayed on the ship the second day and missed Las Ramblas. Guess we will have to go again/1

22 minutes ago, Mljstr said:

@hayley_bopp I agree that you could get on a shuttle and get to Las Ramblas on your own and walk, shop and eat. But the first time to visit, maybe it would be good to talk the Gaudi tour and the Picasso museum tour.

Just by where the shuttle drops off, you will find rickshaw tours. A great way to see this fantastic city. Several routes available which you can customise to suit you. 

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

St John's, New Brunswick, Halifax, 

Agreed . We also enjoyed Portland, ME. Had a cool funky vibe with a lot of great restaurants and shops. If you're hungry we suggest Standard Baking, Holy Donuts and Duck Fat.

3 hours ago, FManke said:

Agreed . We also enjoyed Portland, ME. Had a cool funky vibe with a lot of great restaurants and shops. If you're hungry we suggest Standard Baking, Holy Donuts and Duck Fat.

I was also going to mention that - we absolutely LOVED Portland, ME. My husband already has his eating and drinking places picked out for that stop, and we're still 531 days away!