Diamond: Free drinks question

2 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Spouses are recognized as the higher spouses status, so if that’s the case for one of the people you should be good 

Only if you call in and specifically tie your spouse to your status.  If you just show up on the ship and expect your spouses seapass to reflect your status you will have a challenging time if they are checking seapass cards at the diamond lounge.

12 minutes ago, marti314 said:

Only if you call in and specifically tie your spouse to your status.  If you just show up on the ship and expect your spouses seapass to reflect your status you will have a challenging time if they are checking seapass cards at the diamond lounge.

I’ve never tied my wife to mine besides booking her with me in my room and she is at my level when she would be a level lower. 

Couldn’t wait to reach Diamond because I’d hoped the 3 free drinks would be enough to keep me from purchasing the drink package.  Well, after realizing the drink options are limited, I’m still buying it.  I could probably make it work for me but not much there for my wife.  Not sure if this matters to you but I didn’t realize it was such a limited list. 

2 hours ago, Hutcherl said:

Couldn’t wait to reach Diamond because I’d hoped the 3 free drinks would be enough to keep me from purchasing the drink package.  Well, after realizing the drink options are limited, I’m still buying it.  I could probably make it work for me but not much there for my wife.  Not sure if this matters to you but I didn’t realize it was such a limited list. 

Now yo can buy your friends or family a drink.  I think that is what I'm going to do.

6 hours ago, marti314 said:

I’m too afraid of commitment to tie my spouse to my C&A status.

5 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You are free to do whatever you want with your 3 free drinks each night.  You could just get your drinks from the Diamond Lounge and enjoy the other 3 drinks with the rest of your cabin mates.

So this wouldn’t be prohibited like sharing a drink package?  

Wow that never occurred to me that you could do that.  If you think about it,  those three drinks have been earned by being loyal.   It would be a nice gesture to be a share a drink with friends that are going with us who didn’t purchase the package.  Also, would be a nice gesture from Royal to allow that.  These friends are cruisers who sail on another line.  We convinced them to give Royal a try.  I’m sure they would appreciate it and who knows, it might create new loyal to Royal cruisers.  A see it as a win/win. 

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

I am of the opinion you can give away your 3 free drinks..just like you can give away a drink you buy..but you can't give away a drink you got on the drink package and you can't take drinks out of the DL to give away.

52 minutes ago, Hutcherl said:

Wow that never occurred to me that you could do that.  If you think about it,  those three drinks have been earned by being loyal.   It would be a nice gesture to be a share a drink with friends that are going with us who didn’t purchase the package.  Also, would be a nice gesture from Royal to allow that.  These friends are cruisers who sail on another line.  We convinced them to give Royal a try.  I’m sure they would appreciate it and who knows, it might create new loyal to Royal cruisers.  A see it as a win/win. 

I emailed C&A and asked them if the Diamond happy hour drink coupons loaded on your account can be shared.  They answered yes.

Just be aware that it is a limited menu:

59936730_DiamondHappyHour2019copy.thumb.jpg.709959d150af7aff396acbd5c1422223.jpg

For example a vodka martini will be made with New Amsterdam vodka.  If you prefer Grey Goose that is not covered.

The wines are specific wines, not any of that variety.  They tend to be inexpensive wines.  

At a bar asking for bottled water as a Diamond happy hour drink counts as one of your 3 nightly drinks. 

In the Diamond Lounge a drink doesn't count against your 3 nightly drinks.  

10 hours ago, twangster said:

For example a vodka martini will be made with New Amsterdam vodka.  If you prefer Grey Goose that is not covered.

The wines are specific wines, not any of that variety.  They tend to be inexpensive wines.  

At a bar asking for bottled water as a Diamond happy hour drink counts as one of your 3 nightly drinks. 

We will be new diamonds on our next cruise. I don't drink alcohol at all, ever. I was wondering if mixer juices would count as soda or if you can really only get things like Coke and Sprite? Also, is the soda fountain soda or in cans?

Thanks a lot. :14_relaxed:

1 minute ago, FionaMG said:

We will be new diamonds on our next cruise. I don't drink alcohol at all, ever. I was wondering if mixer juices would count as soda or if you can really only get things like Coke and Sprite? Also, is the soda fountain soda or in cans?

Thanks a lot. :14_relaxed:

They seem to stick to the diamond menu pretty closely however I am guessing since a VODKA OJ or Cranberry vodka is 90% cranberry juice asking them to leave out the vodka should not be an issue and its in their financial interest as well.

You will likely get fountain soda unless you specifically ask for a can in which case they will just ring that up as your diamond drink.

20 hours ago, twangster said:

I emailed C&A and asked them if the Diamond happy hour drink coupons loaded on your account can be shared.  They answered yes.

59936730_DiamondHappyHour2019copy.thumb.jpg.709959d150af7aff396acbd5c1422223.jpg

Super appreciate all the great information!!  Perfect example of how great this blog is and the great contributors that make it what it is,  especially  @twangster ! !?

7 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

I have used my diamond drinks to buy drinks for others at the bars that honor them.

IE ordered three beers and handed them to the people sitting next to me, seemed to be "expected" by the bar staff and non-controversial.

Glad this came up because we are sailing in June and they would’ve went unused.   Also, good to hear that the staff was up to speed on the policy.  Hopefully preventing any awkward situations. 

Guess I never though of being separated from my spouse. When I joined C&A I signed my spouse up as well. We have separate cards, numbers etc. We are both D+ members and our seapass cards both show our C&A levels. We both get cruise points. We both get drink perks etc. Not sure why couples would not do this. Then  again, I guess I could think of some reasons.

17 minutes ago, Ditchdoc said:

Guess I never though of being separated from my spouse. When I joined C&A I signed my spouse up as well. We have separate cards, numbers etc. We are both D+ members and our seapass cards both show our C&A levels. We both get cruise points. We both get drink perks etc. Not sure why couples would not do this. Then  again, I guess I could think of some reasons.

That's fine when you and your spouse have always cruised together, always.  You both have independently earned your status which is the same because your cruise history is identical.   In your case there is no need to have Royal put you in a "relationship".

That doesn't apply to some people who have cruised before marriage, such as when they cruised when they were kids and later as teens, and they may even be diamond or higher before getting married in their early twenties.  They marry someone who hasn't cruised at all or as much.  In this case, they can declare themselves in a relationship and Royal will grant the higher status to the spouse with the lower (or no) status.  Going forward as they cruise together they can both enjoy the perks of the higher status even though only one has enough points to actually be there such as visiting the diamond lounge.

Another circumstance is after a divorce/death and re-marriage.