Charging For Telephone Calls

leonard

I cant see why on earth Royal Caribbean charge you for phoning them about a query with your booking or for paying for your holiday. It cost me £1.50 to pay the balance on my cruise because they would not accept payment online. I know this cost is very small compared with the cost of the holiday but I resent paying for a phone call which I am forced to make because their website is not adequate. To me little things like this  demonstate how companies  treat their customers. I wont be sailing with them again.

Comes down to your phone provider.

Some will offer weekday/weekend local numbers for free depending on the plan you have with them

The UK number begins 0344 which is classed as "Local" so would be inclusive of your free local calls. Outside of these times/allowances the call would be 13p a minute

I see.    

US cell phones used to have plans like that but largely have switched to unlimited domestic calls across the country.  My provider includes Canada in that region.

I suppose there may be some pre-paid cell plans that charge per minute rates.    

The US website accepts payments on-line but only for direct bookings.  If you book through a TA you must make payments through that TA.

4 hours ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

OP grievance should be with their phone carrier, not Royal. 

It's RCI that set the charges, the carrier just charges a connection charge, which if you have a plan is sometimes free.

The number Jason12 quoted works, I used it to pay recently. Leonard is right, it's a rip off which I will not pay.

Leonard try using the website saynoto0870 it lists alternatives to lots of rip off 08 numbers

No, an 03 number is considered local, those numbers where created specifically to avoid the changes you incur from 084, 087, 09 and 118 number. Those 4 number have an "Access charge" so as soon as your call is answered you are instantly changed whatever amount the company as set up which cal be a lot.

An example would be that the UKs directory enquiry is a 118 number and changes £4.99 access change and then £4.99 per minute so almost £10 just to find out the telephone number of a restaurant 

The 0344 493 4005 would just fall under whatever phone plan you have at home or on your mobile and how Local calls are managed by the plan.

The only thing Royal could do differently is set up a freephone number which not a lot of companies do over here anymore.

If you didn't want to call the number you can always request a call back from Royal, that way they call you and you don't have to worry about any call changes or waiting on hold.

Ways and means around things if people want to look

As has been said the charges per minute are set by RCI not the network provider, which charges a varying access/connection charge.

After paying thousands for a holiday why should anyone pay them for the privilege of paying them, you can I'm not.

Edit: but you already know that cmdrfrag as you posted earlier...... where's the scratching head smilie when you need it?

It seems like the issue is that your plan doesn't include local phone calls.  

The website states that local charges may apply.

1187763590_RoyalUKCallback.jpeg.21dd710dff7033ac62d275c8d2f0ca12.jpeg

On 4/26/2019 at 1:08 AM, cmdrfrag said:

The only thing Royal could do differently is set up a freephone number which not a lot of companies do over here anymore.

If it is true that few companies set up a free number and the charges are due to a phone plan that doesn't include local calling, it appears this is not something unusual for the UK. 

What am I missing that makes it 'outrageous' for Royal to act like most other businesses? 

That's new twangster, when I tried to pay by phone a month ago the only alternative was an 0845 number which is chargeable on most plans, not all.

They have replaced it with an 03 number which is free with mobile contracts but chargeable via land lines without a plan and pay as you go, which is where the local charges come in.

Good on RCI for changing it, lets hope they keep it that way.

I'm sorry twangster but I don't like getting ripped off no matter for how much, if you and the others here that disagree don't mind paying to pay your bill and other things that's fine, I'm not.

We got VOOM and did WiFi calling with our phones in airplane mode.  However, we have AT&T and if we use our phones on land (Europe or etc) it is a $10/day fee.  We have done this in the Caribbean and this worked fine.  We are flying to Iceland in January next year and it will work the same as before at $10/day (24 hrs).

5 hours ago, leonard said:

"I won't be sailing with them again". 
And we're all broken hearted about that.

Hope you're not on my cruise. They'll be more room for everyone else.

Did you seriously just retort by calling someone fat?  Ha, I thought creating an account just to complain about a pound fifty was something, but you certainly have lowered that bar!

Can't wait to see how you top yourself with your 3rd post.

1 hour ago, dwhe said:

I can see that there is not much difference between here and CC, both have posters that just like getting in cheep shots.

I disagree - this forum is nothing like CC.  This sort of exchange, while common over there, is extremely rare here. If this is the only thread you're reading, then I can understand how you might think that, but if you spend any time perusing the forum you'll find that this is an extremely supportive place to be!  I hope you are able to take some time and discover some of the great people and information to be found here.  ?

4 hours ago, dwhe said:

That's new twangster, when I tried to pay by phone a month ago the only alternative was an 0845 number which is chargeable on most plans, not all.

They have replaced it with an 03 number which is free with mobile contracts but chargeable via land lines without a plan and pay as you go, which is where the local charges come in.

Good on RCI for changing it, lets hope they keep it that way.

I'm sorry twangster but I don't like getting ripped off no matter for how much, if you and the others here that disagree don't mind paying to pay your bill and other things that's fine, I'm not.

That's great (that your mobile includes 03 numbers and that Royal has that available).

If Royal only had an 0845 number before I understand.