Generic final day excursion/airport quest

I have a question regarding booking a post cruise excursion before a flight home.  I am flying out of Barcelona but this is really similar to any other last day trip and I would love other people’s experiences.  We have a 3:55 flight out of Barcelona airport.  We would like to do the post-cruise excursion to Monserrat.  It is a 4 hour excursion that says it will be done at 1215 and includes airport transfer.  They won’t let anyone book it if they have a 3pm or earlier flight.  Are we ok booking it?  I just don’t want to sit at the airport for 6 hours.  We also have a stay-aboard option....we drop to the refreshment pkg but keep internet and could lounge by the pool.  Can you leave the ship anytime if you book this or do they have set times?  I’ve never ever seen this option before!  Obviously I would have to leave before sail away lol but are there always taxis available outside the ship or would I need to book royals transfer?  Jane

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I have a question regarding booking a post cruise excursion before a flight home.  I am flying out of Barcelona but this is really similar to any other last day trip and I would love other people’s experiences.  We have a 3:55 flight out of Barcelona airport.  We would like to do the post-cruise excursion to Monserrat.  It is a 4 hour excursion that says it will be done at 1215 and includes airport transfer.  They won’t let anyone book it if they have a 3pm or earlier flight.  Are we ok booking it?  I just don’t want to sit at the airport for 6 hours.  We also have a stay-aboard option....we drop to the refreshment pkg but keep internet and could lounge by the pool.  Can you leave the ship anytime if you book this or do they have set times?  I’ve never ever seen this option before!  Obviously I would have to leave before sail away lol but are there always taxis available outside the ship or would I need to book royals transfer?  Jane

Well , first you will find out that Barcelona cruise port is one of the easiest port to disembark from as it dose not have any immigration or custom.

The travel time from the cruise port to the airport is 20-30 minutes on Sundays , can be more on weekdays if you have traffic. for sure if you have 3:55  PM flight and you will have allot of wait time in the airport and if you are flying direct to the US most of the chance  the counters will be closed until 12:30 PM if not more. You will find yourself seating in the airport with the suitcase , for sure not the best way to end a cruise.

I think the sure excursions should be safe for you to take  and they will handle your suitcases also . if you will take the extra stay on the ship mind you will be require to pay for the suitcase to be stores (its an hidden fee of this option). I do think you will find Taxis in the port as many will still arrive at the last minute to board the ship. Just to be on the same side you might want to install a taxi application  (My Taxi is working well in Barcelona and you can pay them cache). Not sure if you can leave the ship and come back to it or not , but take into consideration that although the city is quite near its still a very long walk to get from the terminal so you should use a Taxi anyway. regarding the time to leave the ship I am sure you can coordinate it with guest services , in your case , leaving the ship at 1 should be more than in enough (and will let you time to eat in the WJ for one last time). Remember that the ship will also have people that embark at Rome so the ship will not be empty and there will be many venues open even between 9 to 11 PM. 

Anyway , I am planning to be on the Oasis at June so I can ask some of the questions and let you know

1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

I'd say do the trip. You'd need to be checked in for your flight at 12:55 so getting dropped at the airport at 12:15 will be perfect ?

To be clear, you absolutely do not need to be checked in at 12:55. I'm not aware of too many airlines or airports that require three hours of check in (it exists, but it's rare, and unlikely at BCN). OP doesn't state the airline or route, and that would help if there's any question as to when they should check in, but there is also a chance that the check-in counter may not even be open three hours in advance, especially if their first flight isn't longhaul or "international" (by that I mean leaving Schengen).

1 hour ago, Zacharius said:

To be clear, you absolutely do not need to be checked in at 12:55. I'm not aware of too many airlines or airports that require three hours of check in (it exists, but it's rare, and unlikely at BCN). OP doesn't state the airline or route, and that would help if there's any question as to when they should check in, but there is also a chance that the check-in counter may not even be open three hours in advance, especially if their first flight isn't longhaul or "international" (by that I mean leaving Schengen).

From previous live blog, I know OP is based in USA. Recommendation from Barcelona airport is to be checked in for non-Schengen flights at least 3hrs before boarding. 

https://www.aeropuertobarcelona-elprat.com/ingl/check-in.html 

Screenshot_20190425-173913_Samsung Internet.jpg

1 hour ago, hayley_bopp said:

From previous live blog, I know OP is based in USA. Recommendation from Barcelona airport is to be checked in for non-Schengen flights at least 3hrs before boarding. 

https://www.aeropuertobarcelona-elprat.com/ingl/check-in.html 

Screenshot_20190425-173913_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fair enough. And even though OP is based in USA doesn't mean their first flight is nonstop to USA, I didn't see that info anywhere in their post but I suppose I may have missed it some other place on the site.

Thanks @hayley_bopp and @Zacharius...I am based in the us and flying directly back to the US on Norwegian air.   @Traveler thank you!  I think we are going to do it... We will be going out Saturday afternoon.  In the US I aim to be at the airport 3 hrs before, but not necessarily checked in 3 hrs before.  But suffering by 1230 for a 355 should work.  Does anyone know how the drive is between Montserrat and the airport?  Are the roads good/not busy?  

I totally am not feeling the need to sit for 5 hours at the airport and I think I would be depressed sitting on the boat watching new people come on!!!  So vi think we will book it

The price is pretty comparable to Barcelona day Tours prices...well it was before royal began messing with the cruise planner prices again lol!  So I think we will book it!  Jane

7 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

anyone know how the drive is between Montserrat and the airport?  Are the roads good/not busy?  

Its around 40 M and between 45- to one hour on Friday 9 AM traffic , I guess it is better on Saturday , will check tomorrow.

When RC say the end time of a tour it means the time it will drop you in the airport . The roads  should be Ok.

22 hours ago, Traveler said:

Its around 40 M and between 45- to one hour on Friday 9 AM traffic , I guess it is better on Saturday , will check tomorrow.

When RC say the end time of a tour it means the time it will drop you in the airport . The roads  should be Ok.

Thanks for the info...I was feeling that Royal would be very cautious saying flights after 3 are totally fine.  You have alleviated my concerns and we booked it!  Do you have any dining or other suggestions in Barcelona, cannes, Florence, or Athens?  I love your travel blogs and you have been an amazing amount of  places!!! Jane

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

Thanks for the info...I was feeling that Royal would be very cautious saying flights after 3 are totally fine.  You have alleviated my concerns and we booked it!  Do you have any dining or other suggestions in Barcelona, cannes, Florence, or Athens?  I love your travel blogs and you have been an amazing amount of  places!!! Jane

Regarding were to eat , I guess its depends what do you like ? are you coming with children ,if yes , how old they are ?  

Barcelona has so many options , on every mall you will find a decent tapas bar (although not the real authentic once), we are visiting a tapas chain call Tapa Tapa , we found it very easy to order from, the waiters speak some English and the tapas are  nice  http://www.tapataparestaurant.com/  , its a chain so easy to find. There was another area with nice local restaurants, I need to find it and will share it.

Athens , there are good restaurants in the Plaka area , we just wondered around and went to one of the restaurants which we saw enough people enjoying there food there , anyway you should try at least once the  Moussaka. I will be again at the end of June at Athens , will check it again and let you know the name (or if I find something better).

Cannes/Monte Carlo  - I ashamed to say  that the only thing we eat over there were Macrons at , wait for it ,  yap MacDonald , in general everything is very expensive over there and we went back to the ship to eat at the WJ between two shore excursions :-).

Florence , we tried a restaurant in Pizza di Santa Croce  , I need to check for the name but if you like a pizza its not a bad place at all  , here is the picture of the restaurants https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7689498,11.2620575,3a,75y,0.32h,92.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s03Mqf5_f1F0cC700JInExg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

They also have good deserts.  I got also good recommendations for this place : http://www.cibreo.com/en/cibreo-trattoria/

14 hours ago, Traveler said:

Regarding were to eat , I guess its depends what do you like ? are you coming with children ,if yes , how old they are ?  

Barcelona has so many options , on every mall you will find a decent tapas bar (although not the real authentic once), we are visiting a tapas chain call Tapa Tapa , we found it very easy to order from, the waiters speak some English and the tapas are  nice  http://www.tapataparestaurant.com/  , its a chain so easy to find. There was another area with nice local restaurants, I need to find it and will share it.

Athens , there are good restaurants in the Plaka area , we just wondered around and went to one of the restaurants which we saw enough people enjoying there food there , anyway you should try at least once the  Moussaka. I will be again at the end of June at Athens , will check it again and let you know the name (or if I find something better).

Cannes/Monte Carlo  - I ashamed to say  that the only thing we eat over there were Macrons at , wait for it ,  yap MacDonald , in general everything is very expensive over there and we went back to the ship to eat at the WJ between two shore excursions :-).

Florence , we tried a restaurant in Pizza di Santa Croce  , I need to check for the name but if you like a pizza its not a bad place at all  , here is the picture of the restaurants https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7689498,11.2620575,3a,75y,0.32h,92.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s03Mqf5_f1F0cC700JInExg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

They also have good deserts.  I got also good recommendations for this place : http://www.cibreo.com/en/cibreo-trattoria/

We are bring our 16 year old vegetarian who doesn’t eat fish...she may starve in Barcelona!  We are not doing much in Cannes...probably hitting a beach and then relaxing.  We are definitely trying to pace things a bit but Florence and Rome back to back are going to be brutal and I know we will be very hot!   I’m for sure planning on pizza somewhere in Italy!

In Florence we will have a 3 hour period to roam around...is it worth going to the uffizi?  I’m guessing it will not which is ok...I’m definitely going back someday! I have dreamed of going to Florence...so much art and architecture!     Jane

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

We are bring our 16 year old vegetarian who doesn’t eat fish...she may starve in Barcelona!  

Oh , as long as she eats cheese and she like to taste new things I am sure she can enjoy many tapas dishes in Barcelona for example : 

Patatas Bravas - its fried cube potatoes with tomato spicy  sauce  - I usually try this first simple tapas , if it is done good , the tapas bar is a good place to eat in.
Pebrotes the padres - It  fried non spicy green chili papers.
Brie Ala Planxa - fried brie.
Asparagus.
Olives with cheese.
Croquetes com fromatage - this are basically potatoes puree balls filed with cheese and fried (yes they like fried things) 
Beside that you will find many fresh salads with or without cheese (try the goat cheese).
Also , just in case, you can always go to the local supermarket and buy fresh fruits another fresh food.
If you will go to la boqueria market you will find many stands with fresh cut tropical fruits and fruit drinks.

11 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

We are bring our 16 year old vegetarian who doesn’t eat fish...she may starve in Barcelona!  We are not doing much in Cannes...probably hitting a beach and then relaxing.  We are definitely trying to pace things a bit but Florence and Rome back to back are going to be brutal and I know we will be very hot!   I’m for sure planning on pizza somewhere in Italy!

In Florence we will have a 3 hour period to roam around...is it worth going to the uffizi?  I’m guessing it will not which is ok...I’m definitely going back someday! I have dreamed of going to Florence...so much art and architecture!     Jane

Regarding Rome , if you want to save some money and just get to Rome you can use the train (12 $ each direction).

Regarding Florence , I am not sure you will be able to visit Uffizi as it will be very crowded (depends on the day) if you want to see it try to take excursion which includes it. You can visit many other museums which are also very nice  and much less crowded.

For Cannes , I might try to visit Monte Carlos as the way to the city/state pass in very nice landscape. 

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

Regarding Rome , if you want to save some money and just get to Rome you can use the train (12 $ each direction).

Regarding Florence , I am not sure you will be able to visit Uffizi as it will be very crowded (depends on the day) if you want to see it try to take excursion which includes it. You can visit many other museums which are also very nice  and much less crowded.

For Cannes , I might try to visit Monte Carlos as the way to the city/state pass in very nice landscape. 

Since we are going in the summer, I expect crowds everywhere to be horrible!  Rome we are taking a tour since it includes getting in to the Sistine chapel and St. Peters.  In Cannes we were just going to do the beach and save some money but you are the second person to tell her to go to Monte Carlos!  We might need to just yolo book it!   Thank you so much for your input!  Jane

3 hours ago, Traveler said:

Oh , as long as she eats cheese and she like to taste new things I am sure she can enjoy many tapas dishes in Barcelona for example : 

Patatas Bravas - its fried cube potatoes with tomato spicy  sauce  - I usually try this first simple tapas , if it is done good , the tapas bar is a good place to eat in.
Pebrotes the padres - It  fried non spicy green chili papers.
Brie Ala Planxa - fried brie.
Asparagus.
Olives with cheese.
Croquetes com fromatage - this are basically potatoes puree balls filed with cheese and fried (yes they like fried things) 
Beside that you will find many fresh salads with or without cheese (try the goat cheese).
Also , just in case, you can always go to the local supermarket and buy fresh fruits another fresh food.
If you will go to la boqueria market you will find many stands with fresh cut tropical fruits and fruit drinks.

She will eat cheese!  We have a local tapas place and I love the patatas bravas!  I will be happy.  I showed Madison your kids and she is excited to try some!  I'm sure we will go to the markets as we will be in an airbnb for 4 days...we are going to have to do some eating cheap or at home!  Jane

37 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

She will eat cheese!  We have a local tapas place and I love the patatas bravas!  I will be happy.  I showed Madison your kids and she is excited to try some!  I'm sure we will go to the markets as we will be in an airbnb for 4 days...we are going to have to do some eating cheap or at home!  Jane

If you have AirBNB  the one of the first things I would do is to find where is the nearest big Carrefour  (the supermarket chain) and buy groceries , they are quite cheap in Barcelona (well maybe comparing to the US they are the same) and they have lots of varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables/cheese . Also check were is the nearest subway as they have a very good subway , you can buy 10 tickets packages it will be cheaper. 

1 minute ago, Traveler said:

If you have AirBNB  the one of the first things I would do is to find where is the nearest big Carrefour  (the supermarket chain) and buy groceries , they are quite cheap in Barcelona (well maybe comparing to the US they are the same) and they have lots of varieties of fresh fruits and vegetables/cheese . Also check were is the nearest subway as they have a very good subway , you can buy 10 tickets packages it will be cheaper. 

Keep the advice coming!!!  Love this.  We hit the grocery store alot when we were in Paris last year for wine and ?.  Will do the same here!  The Subway tickets is a great idea since I seriously hate using those ticket machines and this will put me there less!  Jane

If you only have 3 hours in Florence, you would be rushing through the Uffizi. I suggest walking the Boboli Gardens. If it's hot and humid (as is typical that time of year) you could visit the Pitti museum for some A/C.

My favorite gelateria in Florence is Gelateria dei Neri (near Palazzo Vecchio), a little more expensive than other places but well worth it in my opinion. I Fratelli (Duomo) or Salumeria Verdi (Santa Croce) are great for panini. There is a small little restaurant inside the food market building at Sant'Ambrogio (Santa Croce) with a delicious pesto lasagne.

5 hours ago, KJones said:

If you only have 3 hours in Florence, you would be rushing through the Uffizi. I suggest walking the Boboli Gardens. If it's hot and humid (as is typical that time of year) you could visit the Pitti museum for some A/C.

My favorite gelateria in Florence is Gelateria dei Neri (near Palazzo Vecchio), a little more expensive than other places but well worth it in my opinion. I Fratelli (Duomo) or Salumeria Verdi (Santa Croce) are great for panini. There is a small little restaurant inside the food market building at Sant'Ambrogio (Santa Croce) with a delicious pesto lasagne.

Oh thank you so much.  My feeling was that I could spend days in the uffizi so I won’t try!  I am thrilled to have some food recommendations!  I know we will go back to Florence someday and I’m only getting a little sample of it but I want to hit what we can.    Jane