Vanilla in Costa Maya?

deep1

Our very limited shopping list for this trip includes Vanilla... Like to get a couple bottles of extract and possibly some whole beans. I have read elsewhere that the extracts can be found in Cozumel in the grocery stores. Then I heard that Costa Maya is known for it.  Really would love to find it there and would really really love to fid some beans... Any input?

11 hours ago, Hoski said:

Mexico in general has vanilla and it is great.  However, I have not had luck with buying fresh beans.  Each time I bought them they ended up being old.

Which kind of places have you bought "fresh" beans from when you visited? I really enjoy baking and I was looking forward to picking up various forms of vanilla when I'm in Mexico. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, spiralqueen said:

Which kind of places have you bought "fresh" beans from when you visited? I really enjoy baking and I was looking forward to picking up various forms of vanilla when I'm in Mexico. 

Some of the shops sell them in a spice bottle along side the bottles of vanilla but we have not found them to be fresh.  I did not find any fresh beans in the grocery store which is where we usually buy our vanilla now because it is so much cheaper.  No one cares how much you bring back.  We tend to bring a lot back as gifts.  Often I will bring back quart bottles for my baker friends.