Rome

deany

1 hour ago, deany said:

What's the best excursion for Rome? They all look pretty similar. I just wanted to get there and back really and do my own thing

I have done the "Rome on your own" (not sure if that's still the name of it). It is essentially a bus ride to and from the centre of Rome with a guide on board who gives you a bit of commentary along the way. They dropped us off very close to the Vatican and we then had (if I remember right) 6 hours to do our own thing. It was ideal for us as it combined the convenience and peace of mind of being on a ship sponsored tour, especially bearing in mind the distance from port, with the flexibility of not having to follow a big tour group around. 

There is so much to see in Rome, that I think you have to prioritize what are your must see attractions because impo there is no way you can see it all in 6 hrs.  We spent 3 days there.  Do you want to see the catacombs, or the coliseum or do you want to see the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain, plus do the steps?   Now add in the Vatican.  The Vatican if my memory serves me correctly is across town from the Pantheon, but the Pantheon is close to the Fountain.   

Personally I would skip doing the steps, all it is, is a photo op and filled with tourist trying to get their photo op.  We hired a personal tour guide/driver for those 3 days since we were traveling with 3 kids. This is why I can't really recall how far away from a walking perspective.  As an American it was neat to see the Pantheon because our Capitol dome is designed off of the Pantheon.   The Vatican is well worth it, because of the artwork, and realizing how much the Catholic church stole.  No flaming, I am Catholic, it is just a pure fact you will learn on the tour.  You will learn so much.  IE did you know there was a tunnel under the Vatican?  Or why you will see bronze bee figurines throughout Rome?  Plus, of course in the Sistene Chapel you get to see the famous gift (sarcasm) that Leonardo painted into the mural.  

The gift shop is next door,  it is expensive, and since you are not staying in Rome, I personally would skip it.  We purchased items there (saint medals for our confirmation names) only because that they will have them blessed by the Pope.  However, the Pope only does the blessings @ 3 pm daily, and than they deliver them to your hotel.

If you go to the fountain, there is a little church right around the corner.  It is really pretty.  The thing to note before entering are the markers with dates outside on the wall.  The markers are set at specific heights.  These heights show how high the water went during specific floods.  They are hip high.  

One last thing about going to the fountain or the steps, is stay away from people carrying roses.  You have to be really firm with them.  A simple No did not work for us, it was more like NO, and keep walking, don't put your hand up to wave them off bc they will shove the rose in your hand and will not take it back.  

Hope that helps.

56 minutes ago, Pima1988 said:

One last thing about going to the fountain or the steps, is stay away from people carrying roses.

On all of your Italian stops do some research about the gypsies and pick pockets, it's either a carnation or a rose, you ask how much and it is some small amount, you pull your wallet out to get them a euro and they steal your whole wallet, they just grab it and run off. They cluster in spots where they know you are going to have to walk through to get where you are going, I believe there is a tunnel after leaving the Vatican, they can't be on Vatican property but there is one little place where they stand, they basically great a choke point for you to have to walk through.

Thanks @Pima1988 , I had forgotten about this part.