WOW Bands

Will have our first experience with the WOW bands in about 40 days on Anthem.  I heard that they are the same color as what other passengers can get and if you are in a SC suite, some places might not realize you're SC.  Thus, might need to bring the SC card.  Our last SC card in 2017 was black, so the staff would know when it is was presented.

IMHO it’s an epic fail. There will be people on both sides of the fence but for me, it’s no good. When you want a drink at the pool the bracelet needs to physically come off your wrist so that the attendant can take it back to the bar to scan for your drink. Also, I would say the RFID works about 40% of the time for entry into your stateroom. It’s sometimes less of a hassle to just pull the card out of my pocket. 

Just a warning with the WOW band - you can't use it to pick up your child from the child care center.  Even with a license.  They will only release a child with the room card (which would have been great to know when we showed up right at the end of the program the first time we picked up). Also you can't use the WOW band to get on and off the ship.  There were other restrictions I know I'm forgetting.  But overall we quickly decided it was a waste since we always needed the card anyhow (with 4 kids someone was always at the kids' club, so we always needed a card to pick them up).

36 minutes ago, sleepy425 said:

Just a warning with the WOW band - you can't use it to pick up your child from the child care center.  Even with a license.  They will only release a child with the room card (which would have been great to know when we showed up right at the end of the program the first time we picked up). Also you can't use the WOW band to get on and off the ship.  There were other restrictions I know I'm forgetting.  But overall we quickly decided it was a waste since we always needed the card anyhow (with 4 kids someone was always at the kids' club, so we always needed a card to pick them up).

Yeah, this is a couple more reasons the band is wonky. If your gonna release something called the Wow band then at least make it a complete replacement for the card w/ some kind of wow factor. It sounds like they were quick to release technology that’s pretty much obsolete already.  

19 hours ago, TheHobbys said:

Will have our first experience with the WOW bands in about 40 days on Anthem.  I heard that they are the same color as what other passengers can get and if you are in a SC suite, some places might not realize you're SC.  Thus, might need to bring the SC card.  Our last SC card in 2017 was black, so the staff would know when it is was presented.

Why does the staff need to know you are SC when you pay for a drink or whatever else? IOther than pre-loaded discounts and freebies that are on your account does something else happen? Do they dance when you present the the card? Do bells and whistles ring? I will never be able to afford star class so its nice to know how the 10% vacation. ?

1 hour ago, whenismynextcruise said:

Why does the staff need to know you are SC when you pay for a drink or whatever else? IOther than pre-loaded discounts and freebies that are on your account does something else happen? Do they dance when you present the the card? Do bells and whistles ring? I will never be able to afford star class so its nice to know how the 10% vacation. ?

?  drinks are included in the SC

I didn't have an issue with the Wow Band, worked very well for us on Anthem though we did get it for free so that may have influenced my opinion

Never heard that rule regarding taking them off in the water, we went in to the pool with them on most days. The plastic band didn't really bother me as I wear my fitbit and its band is plastic as well so I guess I'm used to that.

If I had to point at a negative I would say that taking off the band for the drinks, but it was minor. I would rather do that then worry about my sea pass falling out of my shorts when at the pool

I guess it does come down to peoples personal preference, for me the Wow band made my day that little bit easier and couple that with the fact I didn't have to pay for it made it a plus in my book 

Drinks will still be free for a Star Class guest wearing a Wow band.  It's the not the color of a Seapass card that makes drinks no charge.  SC includes the DX drink package and that is coded onto your account, just like any other guest who buys the DX drink package.    As a DX drink package holder I have used a Wow band to order drinks and wasn't charged.  

The downside of using a Wow band to order a drink is that is usually requires you remove it and hand it to the bartender.  If enough people were to do so I could see a bartender mistakenly returning the wrong band to a guest.  When I use my SeaPass card to order a drink a quick glance at it let's me know it's my card coming back to me.  

Wow bands can be used in water, that's a perfect time to use them leaving your card in the room to go in a hot tub or pool.  On Anthem that backfired on me when the towel station RFID reader couldn't scan my Wow band.  They tried several times and reverted to using my cabin number.  Same issue trying to return my towel and for several days. Had to double check my bill to make sure there were no towel charges.  That may have been an isolated issue with one reader.  

Some people have a reaction to the silicone band.  Some people are allergic to silicone, some allergic to latex, some allergic to copper, etc.  No perfect solution that everyone will enjoy wearing.  Some people don't like the prospect of a watch like tan line on their arm.  Like everything on a cruise, it isn't for everyone.