Snorkeling on Coco Cay

MindiLou

8 minutes ago, hayley_bopp said:

I was going to ask if this was an option ?

Yes.  No vest, just a rash guard I wear diving.  Dropped my towel on a chair and walked into the water. 

I have snorkel fins that are small and easier to pack.  I wouldn't use them to scuba dive but they are great for snorkeling.   

The general area is shared with swimmers.  There are rafts they can swim out to.  Swimmers don't need vests.  I think there may be some insurance requirement that if they rent snorkel gear the vest has to be included.  If you don't rent their gear, no vest required.

As I mentioned in another post dealing with snorkeling on Coco Cay, I had my own gear (including snorkel vest) and did just as Twangster mentioned -- left my towel with my (non-swimming) partner, and just walked into the water.  Unfortunately, my (ancient) flippers split/cracked about 1/2 way out to the first raft (there were three of them).  I was glad to have the vest on as I paddled back in with my non-functional flippers.  Went up to the Snorkel Shack, and explained what happened (I was actually just looking for a trash can large enough to put my flippers in); Claudia was kind enough to loan me a pair of flippers free of charge to complete my snorkeling excursion.  They do want you to sign in, even if you don't rent from them, but I'm sure that's for liability / insurance purposes; they also have a pretty informative video for you to watch, which explains the layout of the snorkeling area.  Since I was on my own, I felt better signing in, watching the video, and following their guidelines.  That may be what prompted the Snorkel Shack folks to look so kindly on my predicament.  I have since bought a new pair of fins (the others were 20+ years old!) and am looking forward to using them.

As to the OP's first question; we were there on Enchantment before the pier opened, but the snorkel shack is to the left as you cross over toward the beaches.  

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...