Salmon fishing excursion in Skagway

SpeedNoodles

My husband is thinking about booking a fishing tour in Skagway (non RCL, they aren't offering any, unfortunately).  It will be his 50th birthday that day, so he's pretty excited about this.  We looked up the tours by inputting our ship and date that we're sailing, so everything available that day pops up.  The excursion he wants to do departs at 7:30am.  The ship is supposed to dock at 0700.  I emailed the excursion broker (ShoreFox) and they didn't think it was any problem for him to get to the tour since it's only a 10-minute walk from the ship to the meeting area.  It's not terribly far from our port the day before (Juneau), so the chances that we don't get to port on time are probably pretty small.

Is this a stupid risk to take? There's a later tour (noon-thirty) but he doesn't want to take that one because fishing is better in the morning (ok, I actually don't know if this is true for salmon in the ocean - it's definitely true for fishing in Minnesota). If he can't go on the 0730 tour he doesn't want to do it at all.

The marina is right beside where the ship docks.  You have to walk past it to walk to town.  

Most local tours live off cruise ship business.  There is a small campground in Skagway and you can drive there from the lower 48 so the charter might have 1 or 2 non-cruise guests but I bet the majority will be from the ship.  

Juneau to Skagway is an easy sail in a protected channel.  If you had a medical emergency while leaving Juneau that could delay your arrival in Skagway but that can happen at any port. 

Here is the marina as seen from a ship:

8StyoGw.jpg

We lived in AK and camped every summer. Camping sites were picked based on salmon fishing.  I don't know when you are cruising, but here is my opinion, and with $2.07  you can a small coffee at Starbucks.

1.  Summer in AK is not like the lower 48.  The sun will just dip down and bounce back up.  There is no difference in light between 7 a.m. and noon.  Actually the way the fishing laws work you can only catch 1 salmon per day.  Day starts at 12:00 a.m.  Peak fishing season, people go out at 11 pm, because if they catch one at 11:30, 30 mins later they can catch another one.  Obviously, for you that will not matter.  ~ if you go with the belief of early a.m. before sunrise than you need to be fishing at 4-5 a.m.

2.  WEAR sunglasses.  Salmon fishing in AK is also called COMBAT fishing sometimes.  Popular spots in the summer will be hip to hip with fishers in waders in the river.  You want the sunglasses because you don't want a fly from another persons rod hit you in the eye. There are rules/respect in this aspect too.  Nobody is allowed to assist you in reeling it in.  When a person screams fish on, they may walk 50-100 feet to pull it in, everybody is suppose to get out of their way. 

3. Halibut is ocean fishing.  Salmon is river. 

4. I would also check to make sure he gets a license.  I am sure the tour group will do it, but they are very serious about this if he catches a salmon.  Just curious if he does catch anything, are they going to ship it back to your house or is he just going to do release?

Funny story, we were AF and stationed in AK.  We would go as a group camping (8 families+).  The guys and kids (8-12 yrs old) would go to the river by the campsite @ 11 pm.  Wives would hang back and drink by the camp fire.  1 night, barely after midnight the guys and kids all returned.  HUH?  You caught something already?  Nope.  They left because a nice Brown bear with 3 cubs were also fishing and decided to get close to their side of the shore.  They decided that no salmon was worth the risk.  The wives, after imbibing wine, decided that the real truth was they knew the kids could out run them, so 1 of them would be the bears midnight snack and they didn't want to risk that they were the slowest runner!

@SpeedNoodles In Skagway, we booked a private charter with Captain Ken (I think he might be from Minnesota, actuallY) with Never Monday Fishing Charters for our Radiance sailing. Can't wait!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d6219324-Reviews-Never_Monday_Charters-Skagway_Alaska.html

https://www.nevermondaycharters.com/

3 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

@SpeedNoodles In Skagway, we booked a private charter with Captain Ken (I think he might be from Minnesota, actuallY) with Never Monday Fishing Charters for our Radiance sailing. Can't wait!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d6219324-Reviews-Never_Monday_Charters-Skagway_Alaska.html

https://www.nevermondaycharters.com/

Thanks, we'll look into it.  I'm just concerned that if something keeps them from opening up the gangway at 0700 that his tour will leave without him.

Just now, SpeedNoodles said:

Thanks, we'll look into it.  I'm just concerned that if something keeps them from opening up the gangway at 0700 that his tour will leave without him.

The fishing in the lower 48 I would think is much different than in Alaska. . . and the fish don't wear watches. :-P We are in Skagway from 7am to 8pm. We plan to eat lunch in port and then scheduled a 12:30 to 5:30pm excursion with Captain Ken, making it back for Izumi at 7pm. Nice and leisurely day. I think this will be my most favorite excursion out of all the cruises I've taken.

6 minutes ago, Baked Alaska said:

The fishing in the lower 48 I would think is much different than in Alaska. . . and the fish don't wear watches. ? We are in Skagway from 7am to 8pm. We plan to eat lunch in port and then scheduled a 12:30 to 5:30pm excursion with Captain Ken, making it back for Izumi at 7pm. Nice and leisurely day. I think this will be my most favorite excursion out of all the cruises I've taken.

I'm not going on the excursion and he's torn between fishing and not wanting to leave me for the day (even though it's only 4 hours .. not a big deal).  I'll pass along the Captain Ken info to him though.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Like the guide who claimed he can survive a bear attack using nothing but a .22 LR pistol.

Not to shoot the bear, to shoot his buddy in the knee.    

My husband bear hunts in Canada. He agrees with that joke: you don't need to be faster than the bear, you just need to be faster than your buddy! 

19 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Captain Ken also offers non fishing excursions, too. Although, as a spouse and a mother of "fishing or bust" types, that would make their teeth itch!

The wildlife excursions are crazy expensive with him.  I threw all kinds of options out to my DH, and he just wants to hang out on the ship and tool around the bustling metropolis of Skagway.  We know the people who own Skagway Brewery, so we'll probably go visit them for a bit. 

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The wildlife excursions are crazy expensive with him.  I threw all kinds of options out to my DH, and he just wants to hang out on the ship and tool around the bustling metropolis of Skagway.  We know the people who own Skagway Brewery, so we'll probably go visit them for a bit. 

I hear ya on the cost. All fishing excursions seem 3 to 4 times what they would be in the Caribbean (and Bull Shoals, etc lakes here in the Ozarks). Skagway Brewery! That sounds like a blast! I've heard good good things about Skagway Brewery, so that's a win win!

17 hours ago, fonemanbob said:

Skagway Brewery is FUN.   Been there and will do it again.  To catch and release is ZERO fun.  Copper River salmon is excellent eating if you can ever get some. Nice quaint town. very relaxing place to be. 

Yep, we've been there twice.  I went horseback riding in Skagway the first time (awesome, wanted to bring my horse home - had it been possible I would have, and they would have let me, because he really wasn't line trail riding material) - the next time we did the excursion that takes you up to White Pass in a van, unloads a bunch of bicycles, and you all ride downhill (we still may do that again if it's still available and the weather is good - it was a hoot).